Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Shimano 11 speed like xx1?
  • mrplow
    Free Member

Does anyone know of any develpoment along this line?

Are there rumours/dates for xx1 trickling down to more affordable ranges?

Looking at my aging 9 speed but can hold off until a measured, affordable change lets me get rid of my double for good.

njee20
    Free Member

Be another year before “X01” (or whatever) comes along I’ll wager, and I can’t see Shimano doing anything that’s directly comparable. XTR’s not due a refresh until 2015 on their usual 4-year cycle, so I’d not hold your breath!

edd

I think that it is inevitable that Shimano bring out a XX1 competitor sooner rather than later given the amount of publicity that XX1 has been getting. I suspect there may be something, in prototype form, at Sea Otter.

I also imagine that SRAM will be rushing to get out more affordable 1×11 ranges to capitalise on the success of XX1.

variflex
    Free Member

In the interview bikeradar did with the head of RnD for SRAM, he stated they wont be bringing out cheaper versions of 1×11, so expect it to be an expensive must/must not have in 2013.

Will be interesting to see what Shimano do/dont do about 1×11

cheers_drive

It could be a completely new Shimano groupset rather that a XTR replacement. Also SLX and XT were updated to 10sp mid cycle.

MSP

I would rather shimano bring out an electronic shifting MTB groupset than add an extra cog.

njee20
    Free Member

And I suspect that’s exactly what they’ll do!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

In the interview bikeradar did with the head of RnD for SRAM, he stated they wont be bringing out cheaper versions of 1×11, so expect it to be an expensive must/must not have in 2013.

Makes sense, it’s a standalone groupset, but then again they said they wouldn’t fo Wi-fly (or whatever it’s called) accross all road groupsets, and shimano said there’d never be a DA compact.

Oddest thing is both of those developments trickled UP the ranges, XX1 went straight in at the top.

It could be a completely new Shimano groupset rather that a XTR replacement. Also SLX and XT were updated to 10sp mid cycle.

True, but they didn’t change anything, just the actuation ratio and clicks in the shifter. They kind of had to as OEM on MTB it’s common to spec XTR mechs, SLX cassetts, deore shifters, road bikes tend to be whole groupsets so having 10s ultegra and 9s 105 doesn’t make headaches for manufacturers.

njee20
    Free Member

I can’t see Shimano doing 1×11 as they do groupsets which cater for everyone. XX1, good as it is, doesn’t give the same range as a triple, and I can’t see Shimano backing what is a real niche product.

They’ll go 11 speed, perhaps with a single ring chainset even, but I can’t see they’ll rush out an XX1 equivalent. Definitely XTR Di2 first!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

They’ll go 11 speed, perhaps with a single ring chainset even, but I can’t see they’ll rush out an XX1 equivalent. Definitely XTR Di2 first!

Would Di2 not negate the advantages of the SRAM XX1 mech (i.e. no ghost shifting), so no reason not to offer a XX1 equivalent XTR Di2?

njee20
    Free Member

Depends what you see as the advantage of XX1 I guess, must admit the lack of ghost shifting wasn’t really one that occurred to me. It certainly isn’t a reason I’d consider changing.

Mackem

I’ve said this before, but i’ll do it again. If Shimano release a 10 speed (or even 11) cassette with the same range as the XX1 but the cassette fits on existing hubs then they’ll have a winner. I think people dont mind shelling out for new cassette/mechs/shifter but to add a hub to that list is a biut much for most ( I think )

mrplow
    Free Member

xx1 is a little more than a “bit much” to me. I do like the idea of it so wondered what rumours were our there or if anyone knew where Shimano/SRAM were heading. Shame if SRAM is keep it in the uber expensive range but guess it depends on the market.

njee20
    Free Member

If Shimano release a 10 speed (or even 11) cassette with the same range as the XX1

Trouble is that if you don’t go smaller than an 11 (ie you keep the standard freehub) you’d need a 46t (ish) sprocket at the other end to compete with XX, and then you open a whole other can of worms.

I really can’t see Shimano doing it. They may go for a wider block than 11-36, but I don’t think they’ll do a direct rival.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Depends what you see as the advantage of XX1 I guess, must admit the lack of ghost shifting wasn’t really one that occurred to me. It certainly isn’t a reason I’d consider changing.

I meant the mech (with the latteral parralelogram and offset jockey wheel) is (apparently) required to prevent ghost shifting on the steep cassette, Di2 would achieve the same thing as it locks the mech in one position whereas a cable only works one way.

Macavity
    Free Member
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Shimano 11 speed like xx1?’ is closed to new replies.