Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Shimano 11 spd road and MTB compatibility
  • Sworking
    Free Member

Hello. I want to put hydraulic brakes on my crosser which means a switch from 10 to 11 spd. I also want to run 1 x 11 and ideally a 11-36T sprocket. is this possible? #veryfrustratingthatshimanodontmakethissimpler.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Shimano 11 speed road and mtb are basically not compatible.

However there are a few solutions in terms of running a 11-36 cassette:
    a) there is a video on YouTube that shows a 105 rear mech with the b-screw turned the other way running a 36t no problem
    b) there is also a hack where you can switch out the cage of a 105 rear mech for some (LX Trekking 9sp I think) other cage and it’ll play nicely with big cogs
    c) The Lindarets Roadlink will fit to the mech to allow this to work as well

In terms of cassettes, SRAM do a road 11-36t one in 11 speed that will fit a new 11 speed hub. The MTB Shimano 11 speed cassettes will fit a road 11 free hub but you’ll need to add a spacer (that should come with the hub anyway) as it’s basically the same width as a normal 10sp mtb/road cassette.

Does that help?

Sworking
    Free Member

brill thanks! 🙂

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    boblo
    Free Member

I’ve just installed an XT 11-40 cassette with a long cage 105 derailleur and a Roadlink on my CAADX. I needed to reverse the ‘B’ screw to clear the 40 sprocket but everything works fine. I can get it into big/big and small/small without binding or bagginess not that I’d ride like that, just in case of brain fade.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Shimano 11 spd road and MTB compatibility’ is closed to new replies.