Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)
  • Shimano 10sp double set up help please :o)
  • thejesmonddingo

Well,better half right than totally wrong,I’m glad you’ve got it working ok.

theotherjonv

Bastards. Now I’m going to have to try it on 2&3 to see if it fixes the slight mech rub problem! Up till now has been good as it needed to be!

andyl
    Free Member

No I don’t think it changes the ratio as such, i think it is more to do with slightly different total throw between 1-2 and 2-3. Possibly due to the change in pull angle relative to the FD pivot point.

andyl
    Free Member

ahh lots of posts while I was working out how to word my response to khanis post above.

So that did work. thought it would.

thejes – untwisted your knickers now? 😉 😀

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

No I don’t think it changes the ratio as such, i think it is more to do with slightly different total throw between 1-2 and 2-3. Possibly due to the change in pull angle relative to the FD pivot point.

Yeah. Agreed. One way or the other anyway.

You were on the right track. It was a team effort methinks. 🙂

thejesmonddingo

Yes,I’m fine,haven’t had a drink for a couple of weeks,and I get tetchy sometimes,sorry.

andyl
    Free Member

So, if my logic is right, that means that the 1-2 shift requires a bigger cable pull than the 2-3 shift.
    And I KNOW that the XT shifters with the 2/3 position switch lock out position 1, as I’ve serviced one.

I think this is it. I am sure that 1-2 and 2-3 feel different when shifting on a triple. Will try it out later as I want to make a mk2 of my DIY combined XT brake and shifter mounts (only way I could get my reverb remote under the bars and everything in a nice position).

@thejes:

(we need that adding, it is useful)

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

It’s been a very interesting thread, thanks everyone for your input. 🙂

I’m quite happy to use pos 2/3 if it saves me £65 on some new shifters. It works fine now.

boltonjon

I run 3×10 shifters on both bikes and noticed a lot of slack in the granny ring

Ignored it and it works ok – but will check the other solution mentioned above 🙂

theotherjonv

Been fiddling, and I stick by what I said. 1 and 2 does work, but yep, I’ll admit it – 2 and 3 works better!

starsh78
    Free Member

2/3 is the way forward! been using this setup for a few months now on my 26/38, but just upgraded to a new shifter today which shifts SO much better and is much lighter in its actuation!

also HURRAH FOR ISPEC!!!

perthmtb
    Free Member

Interesting thread, and solved something I’d been wondering about for a while – what was the point of that 2/3 switch on the new 10 speed shifters, as once you’d wound in the limit screw in the mech it couldn’t shift to the third position anyway. Now I know its because they want to force you to use the 2/3 position rather than the 1/2, but still don’t understand why? Variable pull ratios in a front shifter… hmmmm…

Viewing 12 posts - 41 through 52 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘Shimano 10sp double set up help please :o)’ is closed to new replies.