• This topic has 16 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by JAG.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Shimano 105 upper pulley wheel touching cassette
  • coolbeanz
    Free Member

So, yesterday I picked up a second-hand Tifosi CK7. It came with a Shimano 105 5600 groupset in the triple chainset configuaration and a with medium cage derailleur.

THE PROBLEM IS that when the chain is shifted into the middle or small chainrings, the upper pulley wheel of the derailleur rubs against the cassette, making a fairly loud rambling noise when turning.

Of course, my immediate thought was to adjust the b-screw, but this is already maxed out. One observation I made is that while in the small chainring, the chain tension is really low, causing the chain to sag notably. I’m not sure whether shortening the chain alone will resolve the issue though.

Any advise?

Thanks,

Pete

Mister-P
    Free Member

Is the B-tension screw pushing against anything? I have seen hangers where the part that the screw is meant to push against has worn and the screw slides past it.

njee20
    Free Member

I have seen hangers where the part that the screw is meant to push against has worn and the screw slides past it.

I had that exact problem, although a new mech fixed it – was a combination of a worn mech hanger and ‘slop’ in the b-axle assembly.

Shorten your chain so you know what you’re working with, and check that as Mister P says. And no need to randomly embolden bits, I think most people can decide the salient points themselves!

coolbeanz
    Free Member

Oh, but I had so much fun with the emboldening!

Anyhow, thanks for the advice. Yes, the b-screw does indeed have something firm to push against. I think I will shorten the chain first, then see if it’s the derailleur.

njee20
    Free Member

You can fit a longer b-screw, but you shouldn’t have to unless you’ve got a massive cassette on there?

ahwiles
    Free Member

how big is the cassette? – and is the mech compatible with that?

coolbeanz
    Free Member

I would need to double-check, but I’m pretty sure it’s an 11-25.

njee20
    Free Member

Something not right for sure. Is your cage springing back properly, or is it sticking? That could cause both problems.

Push the cage forward by hand, it should have good spring tension.

globalti
    Free Member

Speciaized fit different length hangers on the same bike with different specs. Here is a pic of two hangers off Roubaix bikes; the shorter one came on a Comp bike with 11-27 Ultegra and a short-cage derailleur, the longer on a Sport version with 11-30 105 and a medium-cage derailleur. This might explain the problem with your bike if the previous owner has been swopping parts around.

njee20
    Free Member

Shouldn’t do with an 11-25 though.

thomthumb
    Free Member

there is a small chance that it has the wrong size jockey wheels in.

They should be 11T i think.

Nobby

I had the same issue with my Tarmac when I stuck an 11-30 on it despite the mech being good for 32 according to spec. Turned out I had the shorter mech hanger shown above so put a slightly longer B screw in (it literally only need about 1mm more).

Swapping back to an 11-27 made the issue go away so, as njee says, it shouldn’t happen with a 25.

njee20
    Free Member

there is a small chance that it has the wrong size jockey wheels in.

They should be 11T i think.

You’re not gonna get bigger ones though, and smaller ones won’t cause rubbing.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Take off the rear mech and bolt it back on with it behind the stop on the hanger. At least that is what I screwed up on my rear mech once…

thomthumb
    Free Member

You’re not gonna get bigger ones though

Dura Ace 7700 GS has 13T jockey wheels.

Still available here

coolbeanz
    Free Member

Resolved (well, almost) – I removed about 3 or 4 chain links and the problem went away, except for when I’m in the small chainring and in one of the smaller cassette sprockets (shouldn’t ride in such a combo anyway).

I might still try a longer b-screw at some point. Anyone know where I can get one from?

JAG

Take off the rear mech and bolt it back on with it behind the stop on the hanger

This ^^^^

I fitted a Rear Mech’ incorrectly and had exactly the issue you describe. I took it off and checked/re-fitted it and the rubbing stopped.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Shimano 105 upper pulley wheel touching cassette’ is closed to new replies.