Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Shimano 105 or SRAM Rival Groupo?
  • mikey74
    Free Member

As above. About to order a new roadie and I have the option.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Kuota then!!
    If you’ve not used either much before you will soon adapt to double tap/sti.One is’nt ‘better’ than the other.
    If you have history with one or another it takes a while to re-learn.
    105 is heavier (especially the chainset).Front shifting on sram is not as slick as shimano.
    Worth bearing in mind that Rival is a “higher” groupset than 105 in theory,Apex being the £for£ equivalent.
    Me personally….Sram is plastic tat. 😕

mikey74
    Free Member

Hahaha, you got me there.

I have heard that the SRAM cranks are flexy, maybe why they are lighter.

I did read that the overall weight diff. is around 400g, which is nothing to be sniffed at.

bol

I’ve got the new 105 and I love the feel of it. Very crisp changing and a positive feel to the shifters. It also looks and feels like it will last for ages. I’m a sucker for lightness, but the quality just felt better to me than the lighter stuff for the same sort of money. I’ve got sram on my mountain bike – so not a shimano fan boy.

Rorschach
    Free Member

The majority of that is in the chainset…but its SOLID and a bit in the shifters.Unless you’re putting out 1500 watts I’d not worry overly about the stiffness.I run ultegra (race bike),apex (cx) and fsa carbons (training bike) and can’t tell the difference!

mikey74
    Free Member

Thanks for the input. I was tempted by the Rival, but I think I’m going to go Shimano.

chakaping
    Free Member

I bought a bike with 105 transmission – shifting felt great but frame didn’t fit me very well so I sent it back.

Replacement has Rival. Much better bike but I don’t like the “double tap” shifting at all and I’d prefer 105 even if there was a bit of a weight penalty.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Shimano 105 or SRAM Rival Groupo?’ is closed to new replies.