Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Shimano 105 groupset Vs Ultegra 6700?
  • foxyrider
    Free Member

Anyone used both? – Any difference in functionality between the 2 groupsets i.e. slicker shifting, better braking etc…? (apart from the weight difference 😉 ) Cheers 🙂

Mister-P
    Free Member

You still dilly dallying about buying that ridiculously low priced 6700 group?

cp

Mate at work reckons Ultegra is noticeably slicker than 105, especially the shifter/levers.

I use 105 and am happy enough, though do wish the shifters were a bit snappier. I guess the difference will be a bit like LX vs XT (I've no experience of SLX) – a lot may not notice the difference, but if you ride lots, you probably will

Mister-P
    Free Member

The 6700 calipers have a revised cable pull and a new insert compound to increase braking power by 20%. The STIs have the option of inserts to set the lever closer to the bars, 105 does not.

Coleman
    Free Member

The 6700 is next generation so hopefully will feel diff./better. I assume a revised 105 will follow next year.
    Buy it! The offer ends on Sunday. I have.

Mister-P
    Free Member

The 6700 is really a 2010 groupset so the earliest a revised 105 would be seen would probably be September next year if it was to happen.

samuri
    Free Member

I'd not rate 105 myself. The shifters go flappy quite quickly, it's very easy to shift down by accident when braking with them, the cranks aren't stiff enough for my liking and the front mechs are a bit bendy.

Ultegra is a huge massive jump up from 105 as far as i'm concerned.

If that's not convinced you, here's what happens when 105 meets macho bollocks.

Mister-P
    Free Member

That is 5500 9 speed 105 where as I would imagine the OP is considering 5600 10 speed 105.

Dougal
    Free Member

samuri – I'm sure this has been discussed before, but that's actually what happens when some shit mechanic puts the cranks on your bike.

105 stuff is great, if it wasn't, you'd have heard lots of people being loud about it.

TBH I'd jump at that 6700 groupo for £530, if I hadn't hidden my wallet from myself.

foxyrider
    Free Member

Sorry been busy – The 7600 just arrived by parcel force. I was just asking for experience to make sure once and for all its the right decision. My mates and my wife and the STW possie said buy it so who am I to question.

I just need to see now if my 105 (yes 10sp ext BB system) flight deck kit fits – not looking good 😉 Cheers guys – certainly looks slicker in teh box but proof I guess is now in teh pudding – guess what I am doing tonight 😉 Fastest groupset swap in history 😉

Mister-P
    Free Member

No your old Flightdeck will not fit the new groupset. There is not a 6700 flightdeck fitting kit at present.

foxyrider
    Free Member

Thanks Mr P 🙂 just been searching and that was the conlusion I came to 😉

Mister-P
    Free Member

I *think* the 7900 fitting kit will work, the little removable covers certainly look the same on both DA and Ultegra levers. However as that kit has not been delivered yet I can't be sure.

foxyrider
    Free Member

Yeh I saw the similar blowout on the tech doc for both lever are the same config – I guess it wont work with my old 105 computer though 🙂

zaskar
    Free Member

Thats the old 105 samuri.

My training bike has the current 105 HT2 and it's been ace.

2007 onwards wasn't it? I'd expect new series in 2011?

I'd go Ultegra unless you ride in wet winters 105.

I don't rate the front triple mech on the 105 though double is ace.

RestlessNative
    Free Member

errr where is the 6700 for 530? tri mate of mine wants to update

foxyrider
    Free Member

Yeh got triple 105 HTII and yeh the front mech/shifter is a bit crap really. looking forward to the nerw ultegra shifters 🙂

Coleman
    Free Member

RestlessNative – It's from those nice men at Merlin. Offer ends on Sunday.
    It will be OEM equipment and only got double or compact if that's a problem.

zaskar
    Free Member

Foxyrider – Member
    Yeh got triple 105 HTII and yeh the front mech/shifter is a bit crap really. looking forward to the nerw ultegra shifters

Posted 50 minutes ago #

I'm using a Trek 1200 2006 for winter and it has older versions of 105 rm. and Tiagra fm. before they were update recently (07>)
    It runs super smooth on a double.

Racing? I'd go Ultegra, training then 105 but no reason you couldn't race on either.

foxyrider
    Free Member

Not racing but do do a few Sunday 60mile rideas and have done a few sportives – poss Exmoor beast in November – think I might built my old Allez back up with its old 105 which is on my new Ribble sportive frame at the mo (until tonight 🙂 )

sofatester
    Free Member

JUST BUY IT! 🙄

zaskar
    Free Member

Treat yourself it's christmas.

Well nearly if you go into Tesco or Sainsburys in the next 2 weeks…

GJP
    Free Member

I recently upgraded to an Ultegra 6700 groupset from the older but lightly used 10 speed Ultegra 6600.

TBH I was pretty sceptical that it would really be any better as I always thought Ultegra was really spot on for performance and price. But I am pleased to say that it is a step up – the shifting is so precise and quick and the brakes are noticeably more powerful and with much better modulation. Oddly I have never been a fan of DA brakes as I thought they had too much feel for my liking.

How much of this is down to being set up by a top mechanic I don't know – but the older set was also set up by a very reputable shop.

foxyrider
    Free Member

Bought and assembled. WOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWHOOOOOOOOOO :0 :0 😉

Commuted on it this morning after fitting chain and indexing.

I agree with GJP this groupset compared with my 05' to 06' 105 triple. Is soo smooth and the cranks so stiff. Shifting is quick and precise – and there is small amount of trimming allowed on the inner chainring. Brakes seem pretty powerful even with new pads. Its also as quiet as a mouse. Love it (but I love my orange Five more 😉 !!

Do you think I am picky when I say it comes with a 6600 chain and not a 6700 chain – was a little disapointed but I can't grumble I guess – the Merlin advert says all 6700 set! Or should I grumble to Merlin?

Mister-P
    Free Member

Shimano say that only a 6700 chain should be used with 6700 rings so yes I would make sure you have the correct chain to ensure correct performance and longeivity of your components.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

The chain thing is cobblers! any chain will work perfectly well. I've got Dura Ace 7900 and the 7800 actually works better than the 7900 one IMO.

foxyrider
    Free Member

I think its work fine to me – but I was wondering wether to mention it to Merlin?

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Shimano 105 groupset Vs Ultegra 6700?’ is closed to new replies.