Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Shimano 105 Derailleur confused!
  • Danno72
    Free Member

Just got a new road bike and it has a 105 derailleur. I want to get a wider range cassette but not sure if I have the short or medium cage. It has some numbers on it 5701 but nothing to state cage length. How do can I find this out?

tehtehtehteh
    Free Member

look up a picture of both, one will be noticeable longer than the other

example: http://thumbs2.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/mRIX7DtO0hLUVvEi6hTfYRg.jpg

should be enough to know which one you have

what size cassette do you want anyway? I thought shimano short cage could handle 30? or am I wrong

Danno72
    Free Member

Was wanting a 32 but from what I read online the short will do 30 but is all very confusing compared to mtb stuff.

fisha
    Free Member

5701 is an up-specced mech that should handle a 32t cassette. ( read elsewhere a while back when researching for myself.).

Obviously you will need to check that the arm can handle the chain length difference across the range of the cassette and rings.

I have compact setup CX bike with a 5701. It’s running a 28t just now, but I can put a wheel with a 32t on it to check if you want.

therevokid
    Free Member

I believe shimano’s new media can cope with 30t sprocket Max …

tehtehtehteh
    Free Member

what size are your chainrings?

I have a 34 inner and 11-28 cassette and it’s got me up everything so far (including 500m of 10-15% gradient), and I’m definitely not hardcore

if you’re on compact rings a 30t cassette should handle anything you can throw at it

Danno72
    Free Member

Right, pretty sure it’s a short (going by pics) Got a 50/34 so think I might just get a 30T and throw it on and see what happens.Fisha would be cool if you could through on the 32T cheers.

fisha
    Free Member

Ok, I’ll fit it tomorrow first thing and post back.

Haze

11-23 will get you up anything 😉

Danno72
    Free Member

Haze yeah right!

fisha
    Free Member

32t works fine … bike is a stock Cannondale CaadX 105 other than the rear wheel dropped in … I didn’t adjust anything.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v131/donboyfisher/Bikes/32tRearMech-1_zps062178c9.jpg%5B/IMG%5D

Danno72
    Free Member

Nice one fisha Thanks for taking the time to try this for me. Much appreciated.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Shimano 105 Derailleur confused!’ is closed to new replies.