• This topic has 5 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Shimano 105 5800 shifters (help needed for an idiot)
  • edenvalleyboy
    Free Member

Need to replace the gear cable. I’ve pulled back the hoods and can see the cable winding around but cannot see where the cable comes out?

Is there another plug to remove? YouTube hasn’t given any help.. 😥

I’ll give myself ten lashes later for being a numpty.

alwillis

Give the cable a bit of a shove towards the shifter (gently!).

If the hood is rolled back far enough, and the shifter is in top gear, then the cable end should exit to the outside of the shifter (into your palm if you were holding the hood).

thepurist

If you peel back the hood on the underside/back of the lever there’s a small cross head screw. Undo that and a plastic cover comes off the bottom of the shifter, then peeling back the same bit of hood from the other end you can drop off the same cover from the front.

That makes it much easier to see the end of the cable, especially if it’s snapped at the point where it enters the lever like mine was last weekend…

DezB
    Free Member

Cable comes out almost directly opposite where it goes in.

A lovely link for you evb – http://si.shimano.com/#/en/search/Keyword?name=ST-5800

Them techdocs are so useful.

edenvalleyboy
    Free Member

Cheers for the replies.

@DezB …good link. I’m the type of person who wants to know how it all works and those docs have immediately satisfied me!

DezB
    Free Member

Cool 🙂 I’m always visting the page for help with Shimano stuff.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Shimano 105 5800 shifters (help needed for an idiot)’ is closed to new replies.