Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Shimano 10 speed chain alternatives.(mtb)
  • jimr80
    Free Member

Its time to change my chain and i,ve seen the prices for a shimano XT replacement, So has anyone ran either a 10 speed road or sram chain with the shimano 10 speed gear?
    PS know the chain should have thinner plate on the inside .

njee20
    Free Member

I wouldn’t personally run the road chain, but I’d use a SRAM one. Weirdly I used a new XTR chain with a used SRAM cassette and it skipped, although the SRAM cassette was absolutely fine with a new SRAM chain. Suggests they’re not 100% compatible.

Or… KMC

jimr80
    Free Member

cheers Njee.

which of the sram 10 speed chains are mtb specific?

njee20
    Free Member

None, it’s only Shimano who have road and MTB ones, they are differently profiled to suit the respective cassettes, probably makes little real world difference, but seems daft to find out!

geetee1972
    Free Member

I’ve always run SRAM chains on Shimano cassettes but am now running a Connex Wipperman on a SRAM cassette.

I’m pretty sure they’re all 100% compatible; there may be a nuance in the refinement of how well they work, but they all work.

peath
    Free Member

SRAM on 10 speed Shimano here, works perfectly…

billyboy
    Free Member

Shimano 10 speed road and mtb are not compatible. Never tried SRAM 10 spd mtb to Shimano 10 spd mtb, don’t know if Sram mtb and rd are compatible.

Don’t play their game………..use 9 speed

njee20
    Free Member

SRAM ones are fine, there’s a PC1090R or sommat which is ‘road specific’, but solely because it’s full of holes, I always used the 9 speed PC89Rs with no I’ll effects.

tang
    Free Member

im using a wippermann connex on a xt 10sp set up with no issues.

jimr80
    Free Member

njee,
    I have a few spare sram 9 speed chains in the garage. I shall dig one out and give it ago, as long as it doesn’t skip i should be good to go.
    I’ll report back .

racing_ralph
    Free Member

so will a 9 speed chain work on a10 speed setup?

bol

9 speed wont work IIRC. The 10spd chain is narrower.

It all seems a lot more complicated for 10spd than 9. I found shimano skipped on SRAM too. I think SRAM 10spd chains are slightly narrower.

jimr80
    Free Member

I have fitted a Sram pc971 on my 1×10 shimano setup. After a small amount of adjustment on the rear mech it seems to work quite nicely on the bike stand. I’ve also ridden it around the block flicking up and down the gears and it seems fine, no real noticable difference.
    i shall put it through it paces off road tomorrow evening and report back again.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Shimano 10 speed chain alternatives.(mtb)’ is closed to new replies.