Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Shifting the worlds most stubborn cold and training a bit?
  • cookeaa

I’m now three weeks in and the bastard thing simply won’t go!

I still have a periodic hacking cough that brings up lovely lumps of phlegm, I’m blowing my nose all the time to try and keep as much shite out of my lungs as I can, my Sinuses are blocked but the “Run off” has changed from Orange with some Blood in it last week to Neon Yellow (I’m choosing to see this as a good sign), constant Muscle aches all over are worrying me a bit now…

I did a DH race last weekend thinking I was on the mend, and that’s been it for bike riding for the whole month, I have a Big weekend riding (Road) already booked in with some mates in four weeks and I Really need to put in some sort of training between now and then, but I don’t want to delay clearing this cold, how much/what should I be doing/not doing to help the process along and limit the damage to my stamina on the bike?

My missus is now on Week Five of hers FFS (she originally bought it home from work) and it’s still affecting her in a similar way to me…

Advice sought…

tomd
    Free Member

That’s a long cold. If you haven’t already see your doc, but also think about things like diet to improve your general health and immune system. Personally I wouldn’t be thinking about biking.

cookeaa

Er’ indoors saw the Doc’ after week two, got a course of antibiotics for the chest infection, that hasn’t touched it, we currently sound like a family of chain smokers…

Diet hasn’t been too bad, perhaps drifting towards a wee bit more convenience food as we’re both bloody knackered all the time, I chomp my way through lots of fruit, we’re certainly not eating loads of junk…

Generally I’m the one with a well functioning immune system, I believe it’s primarily because I cycle and I’m active where as my missus is, dare I say it, relatively lazy and the slightest sniffle is enough of an excuse for her to retreat to bed.
    But this has hit us both pretty hard, I’m more concerned that close to a month without much exercise will hinder recovery further, plus I have this upcoming big ride for which I’m well behind on preparation now…

Part of me wants to get back to riding as I’m sure exercise has helped me with fending off illness in the past, but I’m also mindful that I could in fact make things worse by doing that…

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Shifting the worlds most stubborn cold and training a bit?’ is closed to new replies.