Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Shifting issue – slack lever?
  • yorkshire89
    Free Member

I’ve recently started having an issue where my SLX rear shifter has started to go slack when I’m shifting down sometimes.
    It only ever does is occasionally, and when the thumb lever returns and I shift down again everything is fine…

Any ideas?

scotroutes

Could simply be cable drag. It’s always worth replacing inners and outers when trying to diagnose shifting problems like this.

yorkshire89
    Free Member

Will be changing the cables this weekend so will see if that solves it, cheers!

coatesy
    Free Member

Check your shifter isn’t pressing against the brake lever too, it can cause it to bind, giving similar symptoms.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Shimano shifters are very reliable, but have one common issue that’s a very easy fix, one I’d try after the obvious stuff like Coatsey says, but before replacing the cable….

The grease can get old and go hard. This gives symptoms like you describe. To fix it, pop out the cable installation grommet and flush the shifter out with a solvent of some sort – Brake cleaner and/or GT85 is best. Literally poke the aerosol straw in there and give it a VERY BIG squirt until there’s fluid flowing out of the bottom of the shifter, then repeatedly actuate the shifter. In bad cases it an take 5,6,7,8 attempts to free everything up, and I have had to open them up and play around with the pawls inside once or twice too, just flicking them with a pick until they free up.
    I reckon 19 out of 20 ‘broken’ Shimano shifters can be ‘fixed’ like that
    Give it a shot before you do the cable, but if the shifting action isn’t nice and light you’ll need a new cable too. That’s inners AND outers. It’s pointless not doing both most of the time

alexpalacefan

PP +1.
    Sounds like the fix to me too

APF

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Shifting issue – slack lever?’ is closed to new replies.