Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Shifting for the short of thumb
  • thebunk

Have noticed that the wife needs to use the palm of her hand to front shift – after trying various different shifter positions it seems her thumbs are just too short to move the shifter the required amount.

They are SRAM X4 shifters and mechs, and it does seem like a slightly further throw compared to my X5 shifters. Would different trigger shifters or twist shifters help?

Any advice appreciated, especially if you have experienced something similar.

ta,

thebunk

chappers
    Free Member

Gripshift if you like that sort of thing, or how about dual control levers/shifters then you don't need to use your thumb at all. I've taken the secondary thumb lever off of my dual controls since it's really easy to shift up and down using the brake lever.

ziggy
    Free Member

Yep the problem is the shifter, sram cheapo shifters have a long throw, shimano is much shorter.

Also worth putting on a 'top swing' front mech as it has less resistance the a conventional front mech.

If you went for shifters get SLX or above as the mounts can be adjusted on them, or try running the shifter outboard of the brake levers.

MarkN
    Free Member

Just how short is the thumb? I am missing some of mine and manage okay with XT and Derore shifters. Never used Sram though.

ex-pat
    Free Member

Used cheapo SRAM 1:1 ratio shifters and do find them a long throw. Would never get them again, though some messing around with cables and outers has helped by making them extremely light to use – too light almost, often double shift. Anyway, that's not going to help.

Grip shifters (even the cheap ones, see a trend here?) would help I think, but growing up with Grifters I can't bring myself to have them on my main xc bike.
    I'd maybe suggest a rapid rise rear mech too, only because Mrs Thebunk may find it better to 'suffer' the throw going into higher gears, typically when the technical event has happened. What's more, they're nicer that way round anyway!

Skyline-GTR
    Free Member

It's all very well to say "fit a topswing mech" but some frame designs won't allow for that. So it's not a workable solution.
    Particularly when the problem is with the shifter.
    It seems like the forward reach is the problem. Try mounting the shifter with the lower (upshift) paddle higher up. (rotate the shifter so the paddles sit more behind the bar) you then press more downward rather than forward. Replace the shift cable to a better quality one aswell, it'll lighten the action and make it easier to push.
    I'ts a lot cheaper than changing shifters and mechs as a first step.

thebunk

Thanks all – I've tried rotating the shifter as suggested, but still no use. Sounds like a combination of non-el-cheapo shifter and cable is the way forwards.

rootes1

1×9?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Mrs TJ uses twisties for exactly this reason

Xylene
    Free Member

Mrs Q is can shift with the right shifters in her dual control all in one rapid fire v-brake combo but can't on the left.

I had been considering getting her a gripshift and now think I shall.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Shifting for the short of thumb’ is closed to new replies.