Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Shifters / Hope x2 Brake levers – what works?
  • brassneck

After fitting x2s I had a bit of an issue getting my somewhat elderly XT shifters to sit in a usable manner on the bars – as I’d been hankering after SRAM (after trying a friends bike) for a while, I bit the bullet, changed the shifters & mech and was happy.

Wasn’t so happy when the bottom fell off when unscrewing the top cap to replace the cable, leaving it not repairable 🙁 – think springs everywhere.

I like the SRAM shifting but I’m not sure I want to pay out on another shifter that might explode on something as simple as a cable change – are later Shimano shifters a better fit with X2? Do I need anything different for ‘shadow’ mechs, or is it still just a rapidrise/normal decision?

brassneck

Ooh, forgot to add – anyone using X9 gripshift? Cheap pairs about and they might be worth considering?

takisawa2

I was thinking about this the other day, but for Tech levers. They dont seem to sit nicely with my older xt760 shifters. Keen to try the Hope matchmaker clamps, but I need to buy shifters with a split clamp. (new XT I think ,poss SLX). I feel a bodge coming on.
    Need a simillar solution for my Inbred. Want to run it geared & ss, so thinking of matchmaker clamps. If I leave a shifter & mech all cabled up ready, I can then quickly bolt shifters & mech on, few zip ties, chain & wheel swap & its a 1×9 with road slicks on.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Any of the current model SLX-XT will work fine, minus their indicator window. In my experience, Shimano equipment is better built from better materials than SRAM, which always feels toy-like to me.

Trailseeker
    Free Member

Tech M4’s here, tried LX, XT M770 & XTR M970 shifters, then bought matchmakers to suit the XTR shifters but couldn’t get it to my liking (I think the shifter angle needs to adjustable on the matchmakers) so I’ve put XTR brakes on the bike & moved the Tech brakes to my Rohloff hardtail & am selling the matchmakers.
    Shame really as I like the brakes but they are not compatable with any of my deraileur set ups for me.

crofts2007
    Free Member

the dual release on the downshift helps as you seem to get a strike against the brake caliper on the traditional ones, when pushing back.
    got m770 xt on my tech m4/x2 setup with windows on still. shifters inboard? closest to stem.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

shifters inboard? closest to stem.

The brakes would be unusable like that Shirley?

brassneck

got m770 xt on my tech m4/x2 setup with windows on still. shifters inboard? closest to stem

No, 1 finger braking all the way for me.. it only worked without the windows and shifter outboard to get brake lever and shifters in a usable place – mine may be older than m770 though, I’ve no idea what code they are.

crofts2007
    Free Member

yep, just checked my photos and the shifters are inboard.
    like to have unhindered grip!
    plenty of brake to grab at.
    i must be slightly special! lol!

Tallpaul

10sp SLX shifter mounted outside of the X2 lever. Moved the shifter to the furthest left position of the adjustable mount and it’s fine.

mintimperial

anyone using X9 gripshift?

I have some X0 gripshifts that were less than half-price on CRC. I think they’re ace, but then I’ve never really got on with clicky trigger shifters of any variety. I expect the X9s will be similarly good, only a tiny bit heavier or something like that. The mechanism isn’t exactly complex so I doubt there’s any functional difference between the two.

They sit between the levers and your grips, obviously, but the barrel adjuster and cable housing bit is quite large on the X0s. The X9s look similar to me. You may find that you have to rotate them down a long way to fit them next to your levers, which might mean that you won’t be able to see the full length of the gear indicator windows. They will still work just fine though.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

plenty of brake to grab at. i must be slightly special! lol!

The benefit of having the lever positioned inboard is that only one finger is needed to get excellent mechanical advantage, and still having most of your hand holding the bar. Preference is preference, of course, but don’t think that you get better braking by using three fingers.

iwatajim
    Free Member

I run 2010 x7 shifters which fit the matchmakers on my x2’s. There is a small amount of adjustment left or right and I find the set-up to be great. £25 for matchmakers is a bit steep though!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Shifters / Hope x2 Brake levers – what works?’ is closed to new replies.