Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Shifter / Mech compatibility
  • Spin
    Free Member

Building up a new crosser and having a bit of a headache working out compatability.
    My last one had a similar set up (but 9-speed) and it worked very well so I was keen to keep it the same(ish).

I’m looking at (10-speed):
    105 5700 triple sti levers
    A XT ‘trekking’ triple 48-36-26
    A road triple front mech (learned last time that MTB front mechs don’t work with road shifters, has this changed?)
    A MTB rear mech – this was the bit causing most concern as it seems things have changed in terms of compatibility.

Any ideas whether this will work and if not what would folks recommend?

Much obliged.

Spin
    Free Member

bump.

simondbarnes

You’ll need a 9 speed shimano mtb mech, a 10 speed one won’t work with road shifters.

Spin
    Free Member

That seems odd. 9 speed MTB mech and everything else 10 speed. Does it work well or is it a bit of a bodge?

Thinking about it I might be better just going for a long cage road mech although mtb mechs always seem a bit tougher in the mud and rocks.

simondbarnes

Not a bodge at all. 9 speed shimano mtb uses the same actuation ratio as 8/9/10 speed shimano road. 10 speed shimano mtb mechs use a different actuation ratio and will only work with 10spd mtb shifters.

Spin
    Free Member

Splendid. Thank you.

Do you know if it matters if its one of the lower profile mtb mechs or just any 9 speed?

scaredypants

“any” (shimano) 9speed will do – my road bike has an ancient rapid rise xtr mech. works lovely (with 9 or 10sp stis)

aracer
    Free Member

Thinking about it I might be better just going for a long cage road mech although mtb mechs always seem a bit tougher in the mud and rocks.

Not sure there’s a lot of difference in toughness. The main difference is the biggest sprocket you can use – if you want to use a 32 then you’ll need a MTB mech on most frames.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Shifter / Mech compatibility’ is closed to new replies.