Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Shift pattern – is this reasonable
  • Woody
    Free Member

Thought I would run this by the 'collective' before going as far as union/grievance.

This is a recurring shift pattern in my job ie. once every 2 months due to one week every month being classed as 'relief' whereby you can be sent anywhere to cover any staff shortfalls.

The particular pattern is as follows :-
    7-9 May 0630-1830 normal shifts
    10 May Rest day relief week
    11 May 1830-0630 " "
    12-13 May Rest days " "
    14-16 May 1830-0630 " "
    17 May Rest day normal shifts
    18-20 1830-0630 normal shift

This pattern, in effect necessitates 5 changes in sleep in 8 days ie. a complete turnaround from days to nights, assuming you want to return to a normal sleep at night on days off.

Opinions please as to whether you think this is reasonable ?

Cheers

donsimon
    Free Member

Reasonable is very subjective, legal is another question.

When I worked shifts I had something like 10 different start times. I was sent home 2 hours into a 6-2 shift as they wanted me back in to start another shift later in the same day!!! The joys of knowing all the jobs in the factory.

MartynS

looks like you're getting your 11 hour breaks, and rest days inbetween late finish/early starts.
    I doubt a union would take on a grievance
    I'm sure someone else will prove me wrong.. but I think you'll need to suck it up

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Check on the TUC site. As Martyn says there are clear things that must be had with shift work, However it doews look like the rotations are a bit short but not totally unusual. can you create a different pattern that suits the employer and employee?

The best I have seen for that sort of situation was 2x 12 hr day shifts, 2x 12 hr night shifts, 4 days off repeated ( really 3.5 as you return on a day shift)

Woody
    Free Member

Empl;oyer is technically within their rights as MartynS has pointed out.

My view is that so many changes will seriously disrupt sleep patterns and create potential safety issues due to being unable to get sufficient sleep.

I'm not going as far as a grievance as I will undoubtedly lose and the union are a waste of space as they agreed to this 'relief week' without proper consultation, or at best by 'back door methods'. My best option is to appeal to common sense and get the 11th May altered to a day shift, thus reducing the number of changes to 3. Not a lot to ask as there are plenty options to accommodate this.

Biggest problem is the lack of recognition by resource scheduling, (most of whom have not worked shifts) that after a night shift the next day is not a full day off as you rarely get home before 0700 then need at least some sleep + on a night shift most people have to have at least a couple of hours rest before they start.

Cheers

Dibbs
    Free Member

The best I have seen for that sort of situation was 2x 12 hr day shifts, 2x 12 hr night shifts, 4 days off repeated ( really 3.5 as you return on a day shift)

Mine is better, 2x 12 hr day shifts, 2x 12 hr night shifts, 6 days off repeated ( really 5.5 as you return on a day shift) 😀

tree-magnet
    Free Member

12 on, 12 off here, every day for 3 months. 😀

grim168
    Free Member

We do wed thurs fri days 7.30 to 19.30 for four weeks then follow with sun mon tues days for four weeks then a week off and wed thurs fri nights 19.30 to 07.30 etc sun mon tues nights four weeks. Keep going for 20 years. I hate shifts but the premium is 28 % and three day weeks. Three nights is not enough to get into sleeping in the day.

Graham

Grimy
    Free Member

Thats a pretty rubbish work pattern woody. Is there no way you can consult with the other staff members and propose an alternative that suits all? Im very lucky where I work as the managment allow us to design our own shift pattern/rota, as long as the job is covered with the right number of staff and the hours balance there happy that were happy and everyones a winner.

Woody
    Free Member

Grimy

The shift pattern is agreed by staff at (ambulance) station level and then ratifed by management as long agreed manning levels are met. The problem is the 'relief' week which has to be built into the rota. This was deemed necessary in order to cover shortfalls at your own and other stations due to holiday/sickness etc. This seems quite reasonable and would work if some more thought was put into the allocation of workdays taking the shifts before and after the week into account.

In reality, there is a skill shortfall due in part to the ambulance service employing 'ECSW's' who have limited skill levels and are not allowed to make any clinical decisions (there are other factors but this is long-winded as it is). Their role is simply to assist the paramedic and drive. Obviously, they are paid considerably less than a paramedic. The problem arises because A&E ambulances used to be crewed by 2 qualified people, either a paramedic or advanced technician in any combination. ECSW's cannot work together, so you have immediately limited the crewing possibilities. The consequence of all this is that paramedics almost always have to work weekend nightshift on the relief week to cover the busiest times. In effect, this means (depending on annual leave) an additional 12 weekend nightshifts a year, which is neither family friendly or conducive to anything like a normal social life.

Basically it's crap and should never have been agreed to in the first place as shortfalls could be covered using overtime and other staff who have not yet been allocated a permanent station. The union will not do anything about it despite numerous representations from members. 👿

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Shift pattern – is this reasonable’ is closed to new replies.