Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Shift Indicators going the wrong way?! (Possible going insane content….)
  • speed12
    Free Member

First off, I'm still not convinced I'm not just going mad and this is all normal.

I changed the gear cables on my current bike for the first time yesterday. It has XT rapidfire plus shifters (the dual action ones) with the little indicator pod on top.

Was just getting ready to set up the first derailleur and so just checked the indicator to make sure that the cable was in the correct 'position' to attach to the rear mech. The indicator showed that it was in the bottom cog so I go to shift to the top cog……except I find myself having to use the thumb paddle rather than the finger trigger? This caused a small moment of confusion and a quick check showed that the shifter was definitely pulling the cable in with the thumb shifter as it should to be move to the top cog (and vice versa). So basically the indicator is now the 'wrong way round' with top cog shown as far left and bottom cog as far right.

And exactly the same on the front mech shifter; cable is pulling the right way but indicator is reversed.

I popped the indicator pod off to make sure nothing had caught, but both are working in the only way possible and I cannot for the life of me see how they have swapped over.

Am I just going insane or is this something anyone has seen before?!?!??!?!

Cougar

From memory, my Deore shifters show bottom gear as the outside of the display, front and rear. So, front grannyring is far left, but first gear on the cassette is far right. Been that way from new, factory-fit on the bike, just figured that's how it is.

Cougar

And now you come to mention it,

The finger trigger on the left hand goes down gears (towards granny), the right hand goes up gears ("high normal" I presume). So say I'm in the middle ring on the lowest gear and want to go down another gear, I tweak both triggers at once and it shifts down a 'virtual' gear – down to the granny ring, up on the cassette.

I always thought it was odd that one side was high normal and the other was low normal, just figured there was some technical reason for it and I was an idiot for not knowing what that was. (-:

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Zukemonster
    Free Member

Am I just going insane or is this something anyone has seen before?!?!??!?!

I've had a look at it and it looks perfectly normal to me. You are definitely going insane.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Depends on your mech. You can buy top normal or bottom normal mechs, but not in all the groupsets for soem reason, and not at all in shadow which anoys me.

2 ways to solve it, either ignore the link between shifter window and mech, and think of one end as low and the other high, fit the other type of rear mech (i forget wich one looks right in the shifter windows), buy some SRAM attack/rocket shifters (the indicator goes up/down not left/right) or remove the window. I used to rely on them but after my SRAM rockets indicator siezed up I've not even thought about it.

Trekster

just bin the indicators
    How many people take any notice of them anyway?
    Your legs are the best indicator you need
    Never had any and do not understand the need

Toasty

This is what "Rapid Rise" refers to in Shimano mechs, they work the other way around.

speed12
    Free Member

Cheers for the replies. It's of absolutely no real concern as I hardly use them. It's just I've had a complete mental blank as to which way the indicators went before I took the cables off (only a couple of days ago!).

Sounds like it's all normal anyway!

Cheers!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Shift Indicators going the wrong way?! (Possible going insane content….)’ is closed to new replies.