Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Shhhh…iPad present for my wife….but which one?
  • cjr61

Looking to buy an iPad air for my wife but not sure whether the 2 is worth the extra spend? Equally is there a new one coming out soon so will prices crash?

Any STW members in the know please help me out!

Thanks

Chris

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

Wait till after Wednesday, as new iPad Pro* being announced. It won’t be of interest to you, but there might be a knock on effect for pricing across the range.

….when you do buy, get from JL, as they are offering 3 year warranty as standard.

*Possibly/maybe.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

I have the original Air and use it for all manner of stuff, it’s a little laggy with photoshop and a few processor intensive art apps but that’s being really picky. I think you need to identify what exactly it will be mostly used for.

Have no desire to upgrade, not even if I had the cash – but one thing I will mention is capacity – go for bigger! I’d much rather have this 64GB tablet than a newer 32GB model.

loddrik
    Free Member

My daughter is also wanting a full sized ipad next month to replace her first gen mini. Where is the cheapest place to buy a 64gb Air or Air 2?

cjr61

OK, will wait until after Wed then.

It’ll only be used for surfing and basic tasks so not sure i need the fast Air 2 processor. It’s just processor speed and fingerprint thing difference yes?

`Cheers

sweepy
    Free Member

Why wouldn’t the pro be of interest? Ive promised the Mrs an Ipad for her b’day and I reckon if I’m spending the apple premium I might as well go the whole hog. And the fact that I have my eye on a new bike shortly after has ABSOLUTELY NO BEARING on that at all.

cjr61

Sweepy hahaha I like your style. New baby on the way here so generous but not unnecessary is the key for me!

bikebouy
    Free Member

Similar question from me on here a month ago, wanting to upgrade my v3 to the Air and waiting for announcements of imminent releases before I purchase a new one.

cjr61

PSA: Amazon selling them cheap now…iPad Air 2

cranberry
    Free Member

Is an ipad with only 16Gb of storage actually usable ? I thought that upgrades required a few Gb of space spare before they would download/install – that doesn’t seem to leave a great deal of space free when you take the OS and apps into account.

prettygreenparrot

16GB iPad quickly turns into a pain as folks load them up with apps more quickly than iPhones.

64GB iPads hit the spot.

cjr61

Ok so which is better Air 1 32gb or Air 2 16gb?

jamj1974

You will run out of space on a 16gb model very quickly. The Air 2 is noticeably lighter and seems to work more quickly.

cjr61

So what you’re saying is find an extra £100 for the 64gb Air 2?

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Nuke her from orbit. Its the only way to be sure.

jamj1974

I think so. Sorry…

seadog101

After being lucky enough to get a new iPad (2, air, air2) each year from work (Safety prize: for not mashing people up in our big and heavy machinery), I can only echo what others have said, look at your budget, and get the one with the biggest chunk of memory you can afford.

Unless you want to do swanky stuff technical things, more space for movies and photos and things is a must.

Why is there such a price increase for extra memory? Seems excessive.

Aside from that, are you an Apple family? If not, I’d be looking at the Samsung Galaxy Tab S2

CountZero

Why is there such a price increase for extra memory? Seems excessive.

Always been the case. As I understand it, the sort of solid-state memory used in such devices is different to the flash memory used in SD cards and flashdrives, and is more expensive. Used to be the case with RAM and HDD in desktop computers as well. Not much changes, really.
    I can remember when 1Gb of memory cost £1000, £1/Mb was the rule of thumb.

cjr61

We’re an apple family so it’s just whether 16gb will run out too soon. She will stream but not bothered about movies or videos on it. Not a huge music collection either. We spotify most stuff. Thinking 16gb unless it’s a major dumb idea??

gozarch
    Free Member

The weight difference between the two is surprising. My 2 was a present from Mr gozarch and I use it all the time, which makes it good value to me.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I’d say get the best one you can. They are expensive but last. I’m typing this on my IPad2….not the Air2, the original 2 which I got from the states within a few months of its launch, so it’s a good few years old now. And it still runs like a dream so they have much more longevity than you’d normally expect and therefore worth the premium. Having said that, the connector has just started to go a bit dicky, to make it charge I now have to prop it up on something to put some sideways force on the plug. But I can’t complain really.

greatbeardedone
    Free Member

I know the op mentioned an iPad Air.
    IMHO the iPad mini with at least 64gb is a better bet.

You’re going to have to put a gumdrop case on it like this…

Coz you WILL drop it at some stage, and the mini with a rugged case is easier to hold than the maxi sized iPad.

It’s all about ergonomics and stuff.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Shhhh…iPad present for my wife….but which one?’ is closed to new replies.