Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • She's suggested getting a Van :-)
  • thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

After years of subtle hints, moaning about the state of my car, the lack of oomphhh when towing the boat and the freezing cold nights sleeping in the boot I may finaily get the go ahead for what I wanted to get 5 years ago but was vetoed in favour of a 5 seater people carrier (there’s only 2 of us?).

Not fussed by VW badges.

Would like reasnoble MPG, what impact does a high top or LWB make to MPG? Parking isn’t a consideration. Does normal headroom get tiresome quickly, or is it plenty for getting changed etc?

Not planning a full on camper as it would still need to work as a Van for mountainbiking/sailing which means piles of muddy/wet kit, we’d probably fit an R&R style bed and just use an awning for cooking under in the rain. But if an LWB, high top isn’t too much of a hit in MPG then it may be a luxury to have more camper bits.

So, with a <£6k budget, Transit or Vivaro/Traffic/Primastar, or other?

SaxonRider

We had a T4 SWB and replaced it after a few years with a LWB. The LWB was probably down on the SWB by about 10% on fuel economy.

In all respects, the T4 was excellent.

mattbee

Viv/Prim/Traf at that money. I’d get the lwb as minimal difference in economy.

scotroutes

I find the Trafic Ok for headroom if you’re not actually using it as a camper. LWB is barely longer. it makes for more internal space but isn’t noticeable when driving. I get 40+ mpg with my 115PS engine. Try and get a 2009 or later van as there are problems with clutches an injectors on earlier models.

jairaj

I have a LWB Traffic with standard low roof, currently mine is just an empty van shell which will eventually be kitted out as a simple camper. Height is OK for getting changed in but not great. I’ve changed a few times in the back, getting muddy bike kit off and putting on dry normal clothes and it’s not too bad. I have to hunch over to stand in the back and any prolonged period standing inside ends up in an achy back for a few mins but getting changed isn’t a problem and once I put some seats in the back so I can sit it should be fine.

I’m about 180cm (5’9″) tall if that helps.

steveh

High roof has a big impact on fuel economy, wheelbase very little. Low roof is good as you can fit in the majority of car parks, multi storeys etc and lots of other random spots with height barriers.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

That’s kinda what I expected. I was thinking a low-top and then a roof tent for a degree of extra space when required and allowing the van to stay filled with wet stinky kit might be a good comprimise.

P20

We’ve got a SWB vivaro. Would have liked a VW but sensible mileage, aircon and VW means expensive. We got our 60plate 115ps November 2014 for £7500 no VAT. It’s been brilliant. Averages around 37mpg, it can be nudging 40, or as low as 34 if your giving it some stick and the aircon is on.
    We are not using it for sleeping in. We have some very basic racking in it and a leisure battery.

thecaptain
    Free Member

My old knackered 2004 LWB vivaro is averaging 45mpg after 2y. It’s been such a brilliant buy, we are considering upgrading to a much newer version so as to make the conversion to camper worthwhile.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘She's suggested getting a Van :-)’ is closed to new replies.