Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Sherwood Pines – Worth a trip + suitable for kids?
  • andybanks
    Free Member

Hi,

Heading down to centre parks this weekend with the family and thinking of getting a morning out on the bike.

Is Sherwood Pines worth a visit? The videos of the red route look very flat and tame – or is it just how the video makes it look?

Also, do they have any VERY tame stuff there – perhaps green trails? I have a two year old who loves to ride on the bike with me, but obviously don’t want to be taking him anywhere near anything remotely techy/bumpy. I’m thinking more along the lines of a nice ride through the woods for him.

Cheers

GHill

It is fairly flat and tame, good fun on a cross bike.

Pretty sure there’s a green, but I’ve not done it.

goldenwonder
    Free Member

Very family friendly, loads of fire roads, blue trails etc.
    The red route is flat & relatively tame, as it’s not the most mountainous area you’ll ever visit, but they’ve done well with whats there.
    Some really good fun tight & twisty bits off piste if you know where to look.
    Best on a proper xc bike if you’ve got one or a cx bike, no point taking a big trail bike.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    momo

The trails are pretty tame, about 150m of climbing per lap, takes under an hour to complete a lap (even for a fat lad like me!) there is a green trail and blue, blue has a couple of rocky bits which would probably be unsuitable with a 2 year old on board.

I think that the trails can be accessed from the back of Centre Parks without needing to go near a road.

robgclarkson
    Free Member

if you’re at centre parcs then yes, you can join the red trail pretty much straight from the holiday camp… and yes, take the kids, the red can be done by anyone who can ride a bike really.

eatplants
    Free Member

family trail spot on for kids , just watch for the bit where the blue trail intersects and joins the green before a downhill you may get one or two faster riders coming past .
    there is a small downhill run with a few different lines good fun , the red has a few sharp short climbs , i wouldn’t really call it a red to be honest more like a blue and a half , but just go faster instead 🙂 ,
    Its in the same woodland as centre parks you can ride straight in and you join right onto the green trail
    have fun

dirtyrider
    Free Member

don’t take him on the red, as flat as it is, its still a fast trail and last thing you want on a blind corner is someone bimbling with a 2yo, theirs lots of blue? green? areas to trundle round

iain1775
    Free Member

Plenty to do with kids, blue, green and a little skills area

midlifecrashes

And a bike shop, decent caff and Go Ape.

lerk
    Free Member

And lock your bike up…

…thrice!

andybanks
    Free Member

Thanks everyone. Going to head over with the lad for the family trail tomorrow aft and then get out myself on Sunday.

squoglybob
    Free Member

You will both love the trails at The Pines.
    If you are going to CParks anyway it would be rude not to nip off a lap or 2 on the green and blue.
    There’s nothing better than getting out on the bike with the Know kids, and Sherwood Pines is prob about the safest bet.

Score some brownie points with the wife as well by taking the ankle biter to the Gruffalo trail located behind the Cafe in the visitor centre. There’s also a massive sand pit AND a great big wooden fort for kids,

The red trail is not too bad a loop and it’s pretty dry at the min except that section at the end between post 18 – 19 I don’t know WTF has gone on there! The previous section held water the new detour just takes the piss. I’ve not ridden there for a good 18 Months so was pleased to see some good bits.its a good work out as there’s no free speed so the whole lots got to be pedalled, some folk hate it but I quite enjoy it. I was driving past so made the extra effort to put the bike in the car and managed 3 laps on Thursday. My legs were pretty tired today.

Good luck with the Briwnie Points and if you need somewhere out of the complex to eat then the Dog & Duck in Clipstone village is excellent.

benji
    Free Member

Why they don’t surface that last bit is beyond me, it was a muddy mess yesterday, with more and more people taking alternate routes round other trees it’s just getting wider and wider.

eatplants
    Free Member

As above , I just turn left now it’s wet , up the fire road back to the start , needs some work there .

wadam00
    Free Member

They are letting the riders strip the top off section 18 then they plan to resurface later on this / early next year I think. They need to get contractors in to do it and they are busy. The pines FB has loads of detail on plans & dig days if you wade through it.

ineedabeer
    Free Member

Pines is good for a blast on the red route. Its very popular with families as there is something for everyone but lock you bike up if using the cafe or other facilities

igm

I rode the red with a two year old on my bike round the red there. I’m not a good (or even brave) rider.

bigdean

I rode the red with a two year old on my bike round the red there. I’m not a good (or even brave) rider.

Really?
    Either you were going very slow or bouncing the little one around as the braking bumps are getting bad and general surface is bumpy.
    There are 3 or 4 points on the blue that can be dodgy for younger riders (sandy patches at the bottom of short down hills)
    Its getting close to being irreponsible going around the red with really little ones, as said above you have to pedal at it to get anything back.
    On the othe hand if you go sat or sun afternoon expecting to get a pb your clearly an idiot.
    Off topic anyone know when an why the dog sled has been limited to the old train line/ blue route area?

igm

Really – and his mum (my wife) rode it with us.
    He might have been three. He was on an Orange Five with me (LOCTs are brilliant) and he’s 9 now – so a while back.
    We’d just come back from riding Les Gets together.

A few years on he’s now ridden the Chavannes red DH in Les Gets himself and his younger brother came down it on the same LOCT now on an Alpine 160. Their mum sat that one out – the middle bit knocks her confidence.

No it wasn’t flat out (Sherwood or Les Gets) but it wasn’t that slow.

bigdean

Fair enough, see enough people going around the red with full family on bso’s.

Strangely I’ve seen enough people walking their dogs around the trails.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Sherwood Pines – Worth a trip + suitable for kids?’ is closed to new replies.