Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 171 total)
  • Sherlock
  • wwaswas

Well Mrs Watson dies in the original books so maybe that’ll be part of the climax?

atlaz
    Free Member

Yes it was a bit lightweight in terms of cerebral crime fighting but it was very good from a character development point of view.

Surely the whole point of Sherlock Holmes IS cerebral crime fighting though?

RustySpanner

Mr Woppit – Member

I suppose it is about time for the usual English “we’ve set ’em up, now let’s knock ’em down” syndrome to kick in…

Not really – the first six were excellent and bore a passing resemblance to the originals, in terms of plot ideas, set up, characterisation etc.

Apart from a few character names, the last couple have no resemblance to the original canon, were paced very differently and seemed to have been aimed at a different audience altogether.

Is disappoint, tbh.

back2basics
    Free Member

@wwaswas has it!

bikebouy
    Free Member

Now then…If they developed the curly haired Kids “character” and matched him with the feckless Major who stood at the shower cubicle door, I think they might just have something.. 🙄

But I’ll agree, the next episode with be about Mrs Watsons death, the death of the impending child and Watson going off on one (or off on an OnOne…)

Quite like the Doctor/Pathologist Woman though 😉

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Apart from a few character names, the last couple have no resemblance to the original canon, were paced very differently and seemed to have been aimed at a different audience altogether.

So what?

Ro5ey
    Free Member

I’m going to have to tune in now for the next episode (not sure I was going to bother)…. as Mrs Watson has been the highlight for me so far.

RustySpanner

They’ve changed it.
    For the worse.

That’s what.

Oh, and if they do decide to remain a little more faithful to the originals, Watson’s wife will die soon and he’ll be back at Baker Street.
    Before getting married again to someone who’s never named. 🙂

The last episode sounds like it could be based on Charles Augustus Milverton. Let’s hope for a bit more fidelty and a decent plot this time.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

You’re only saying that because it’s different.

Demanding adaptations be precisely the same as the originals. Dull, dull, dull, dull….

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Surely the whole point of Sherlock Holmes IS cerebral crime fighting though?

Nail, head.

So what?

I guess there’s lots of existing tv around that does pretty much what sherlock did this series. There wasn’t a lot doing quite what it did in series #1 & #2.

RustySpanner

Mr Woppit – Member

You’re only saying that because it’s different.

Demanding adaptations be precisely the same as the originals. Dull, dull, dull, dull….

Yes, well spotted – change is very similar to difference.
    Have you been drinking?

And no, I don’t want it to be exactly the same as the originals – the Jeremy Brett series did that superbly.

But this series is so far removed from the originals they might as well have resurected Holmes & YoYo rather than Holmes and Watson.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Yawn…

RustySpanner

Mr Woppit – Member

Yawn…

So I’ve answered your points but you can’t be bothered to provide a constructive response?

Nice to see some things don’t change, year after year.

Cougar

And if it had been the same as last season, we’d all be going “well, it’s crap, it’s just the same as last season.” There’s only so long they can spin out “Holmes does something really clever” crime-of-the-week tales before it gets stale.

RustySpanner

Well, Conan Doyle managed 60 stories and the character was more popular at the end than he was at the beginning. 🙂

Some became a little rambling toward the end, and a couple were quite similar, but still.

I reckon MG & SM could at least have managed 7 decent plots.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

So I’ve answered your points but you can’t be bothered to provide a constructive response?

I’m sure you’re right.

RustySpanner

See?
    I knew you’d come round to my point of view eventually. 😀

miketually
    Free Member

Well, Conan Doyle managed 60 stories and the character was more popular at the end than he was at the beginning.

Some became a little rambling toward the end, and a couple were quite similar, but still.

I reckon MG & SM could at least have managed 7 decent plots.

I think I read somewhere that they weren’t confident of getting a second or third series, so wanted/needed to jump to some big story lines pretty quickly. Sadly, this means they’ve glossed over a lot of ‘minor’ stories and compressed others down.

AlexSimon

I thought last night’s was the best so far.
    The density of the info/script was pretty impressive.
    Laughed a lot too.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

I thought it was excellent, and very well written. I was laughing a lot.

Okay, it wasn’t very plotty I admit, and the stabbing part was implausible but the dialogue was extremely good IMO.

toby1

I get that is wasn’t all about the crimes, it went a bit Emo for a while, I still enjoyed it though, particularly the interviews with the wedding guests.

Anyone been watching Elementary with Johnny Lee Miller and Lucy Liu?

MrWoppit
    Free Member

But… but… but… 😆

vondally
    Free Member

I will say I like Sherlock the acting is top notch, some of the lines sublime, Mary Watson is an excellent character BUT they need to have a sharper editor/producer. Last nights was 30 mins too long.
    short sharp sweet would have produced a better episode.

Conan Doyles Sherlock was able to be physically athletic as well as cerebal, and this reworking has been brilliant but Moffatt and Gatiss have become maybe too smug on some elements of the reworking of the characters particularly Mycroft, better as a shady character lurking.

Still brilliant but so was

Ripper Street
    and I think that was not recommissioned as jungle get me out if here got more votes pah boo

edlong
    Free Member

I thought it was a bit slow and lackingng direction but rather enjoyed how it all pulled together for the climax.

Sounds like a quality Sunday night in to me. Was there anything on the telly?

RustySpanner

vondally – Member
    ………but Moffatt and Gatiss have become maybe too smug on some elements of the reworking of the characters particularly Mycroft, better as a shady character lurking.

Totally agree – way too much Mycroft in this adaptation.

And where are Gregson & Athelney Jones? Seems a shame that Lestrade gets all the screentime. 🙂

miketually – Member

I think I read somewhere that they weren’t confident of getting a second or third series, so wanted/needed to jump to some big story lines pretty quickly. Sadly, this means they’ve glossed over a lot of ‘minor’ stories and compressed others down.

It’s a bit odd really.
    I’d love to know how they decided how to approach the adaptation – which stories to incorporate, who to leave out etc.

I’d love to see elements of ‘The Man With The Twisted Lip’, my favourite Holmes story, incorporated into one of the episodes, but I think the storyline would be seen as unecessarily provocative.

FeeFoo
    Free Member

Let me sum it up:

First and second series : Great!
    This series : Poor

Fact.

IanMunro
    Free Member

I thought it was self indulgent garbage. The previous ones have been excellent, but this just seem to be full of twaddle that lacked any internal consistency.
    Very disappointed.

mrchrispy

It went down well in Chrispy towers, great Sunday viewing.

Anyone know where the reception was filmed?

roger_mellie

Wallop & Moses mentioned the venue back on p.1; Goldney Orangery, down Brizzle way, apparently.

Moses

As Wallop would tell you, & I did : the orangery and gardens of Goldney House, in Clifton, Bristol. It’s owned by the university who built halls of residence in parts of the grounds in the 60s.
    There’s a marvellous C18 grotto in the grounds, all decorated with exotic seashells. If you’re into leylines, there’s also a decorative tower which is at the intersection of several.

The opening scenes in this episode were outside the Victoria Rooms, also part of Bristol University.

TheDTs
    Free Member

And Holmes got married in our local church. St Marys, Stoke Bishop.
    At least they are not filming it all in London..

CaptJon
    Free Member

I was really disappointed with the first episode of the new series. It was smug and pandered to the show’s phenomena with the focus on theories about Sherlock’s faked death. The time in the first episode which could have been spent on character development (which is welcomed) went on simplistic stereotypes of people who use web forums. This meant more had to be jammed into the second episode which then spent too long on the bonding over drinks to set up a pretty weak joke about Sherlock and Watson being lightweights.

I also thought Mycroft’s involvement in yesterday’s episodes was unnecessary. We’re not going to forget who he is! And don’t get me started on what the director and editor thought they were doing with the transitions as Sherlock and Watson marched off to the barracks.

Anyway, it is still much better than most stuff on TV.

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

It’s all gone a bit smugly up its own bum.

And, the plotting isn’t brilliant. So many dumb errors in the Tube train bit last week. This week the method of death was just stupid.

Elementary, the US version, is probably better. Another English actor, but one who is acting rather than adopting a pose. And Rhys Ifans as Mycroft infinitely better than Gatiss.

Did like the drunk bit though.

CountZero

I really like Elementary, it’s got Lucy Liu in it.
    With freckles!

Onzadog
    Free Member

I like elementary, but a good elementary still doesn’t compare to a bad Sherlock.

Edric64
    Free Member

I have watched both episodes and find it poor ,rambling and disjointed.Looks likeit was produced for daft arty camera work ,just horrible !

hughjayteens
    Free Member

mrchrispy – Member
    Anyone know where the reception was filmed?

Goldney House in Bristol I believe.

CaptJon
    Free Member

Interesting foreshadowing?

stilltortoise
    Free Member

^ I do really hope that wasn’t by accident 🙂

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Yeah I saw that too. Mary is disconcerting. Sherlock knows she’s a liar, she has no family background and she plays them both too easily.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 171 total)

The topic ‘Sherlock’ is closed to new replies.