Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Shepherd ('?) s pie.
  • jekkyl

Apostrophe or not?
    a pie belonging to one shepherd or a pie for several shepherds?
    wadda ya reckon… 😐

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Is it a proper pie? Or just stew with a lid?…. 😆

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

How big’s the pie, and how hungry are the shepherd(s)?

jekkyl

this last hour of work is really dragging.

huckleberryfatt
    Free Member

With – like ploughman’s lunch
    Mmm pickled onions …

Cougar

A shepherd’s pie is a pie belonging to a shepherd.

A shepherds’ pie is a pie belonging to many shepherds.

A shepherds pie is a pie containing shepherds.

HTH.

tomhoward

Is it a proper pie? Or just stew with a lid?….

It’s one of the chosen few that don’t need to be encased in pastry, yet still be a pie. Fish and Cottage being the other 2, assuming a mash topping

thejesmonddingo

I like shepherds pie,but peeling them shepherds is murder 8)

john_drummer
    Free Member

Cumberland pie is another. Like cottage pie but with a crumbly cheesy topping over the mash

Cougar

It’s one of the chosen few that don’t need to be encased in pastry, yet still be a pie. Fish and Cottage being the other 2, assuming a mash topping

There’s a logic to this, which I covered on an earlier thread.

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/oi-binners-what-have-you-started/page/4#post-7565463

I think we can make an exception to names of pies that aren’t defined by their ingredients. That is to say, a pork pie is a pie with pork in it. A shepherd’s pie does not contain shepherds, and similarly a cottage pie generally does not contain cottages.

Ie, “shepherd’s pie” is the full name of a dish that is not actually a pie, in the same way that an Eccles cake is not actually a cake. See also, beef wellington.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

I think we can make an exception to names of pies that aren’t defined by their ingredients. That is to say, a pork pie is a pie with pork in it. A shepherd’s pie does not contain shepherds, and similarly a cottage pie generally does not contain cottages.

Fish Pie?

Rockape63
    Free Member

Forget pies….I want to know why an Eccles Cake isn’t a cake?? 😕

Cougar

I may be wrong there TBH, but I figured it was a pastry.

convert

If a shepherd’s pie contains lamb and a cottage pie contains beef, what should a vegetarian mince variant be called? Apart from an abomination obviously to you meat eaters. Ex flat mate used to call it my cottager pie which always made me smile but is probably not very PC.

Cougar

Cottish pie?

tomhoward

Isn’t that a pie Sean Connery makes with beef?

RustySpanner

convert – Member
    If a shepherd’s pie contains lamb and a cottage pie contains beef, what should a vegetarian mince variant be called?

Dunno.

You could make a Quornish pasty instead?

molgrips
    Free Member

Does an Eccles cake contain Eccles? The town, or is there some kind of ingredient called an Eccle?

Nico
    Free Member

What about Pie Jesu.

ransos
    Free Member

Does an Eccles cake contain Eccles? The town, or is there some kind of ingredient called an Eccle?

Supermarkets usually put them next to the waldorfs.

convert

Is it wrong to prefer a Chorley to an Eccles cake? Eccles can sometimes be a bit greasy. Like the Jaffa they are no cake however.

Cougar

You could make a Quornish pasty instead?

I’ve said for years that Quorn missed a trick there.

Like the Jaffa they are no cake however.

A Jaffa Cake is a cake. It’s been proven in court and everything, over the ‘biscuit tax.’

A stale biscuit goes soft; a stale cake goes hard. I need to buy some Eccles Cakes now to test them (purely For Science! of course).

upshift
    Free Member

To add to Cougar’s post, Jaffa Cakes are a cake: Legal stuff here

convert

Whatever – when I reach for a Jaffa the little voice in my head says I’m having a biscuit. A weird one I admit but I bought it in the biscuit isle and that’s good enough for me.

Oat cakes. Forgot about the that. They go soft when stale and are not even sweet.

enfht
    Free Member

Red sky at night, shepherds delight

Red sky in the morning, shepherds warning.

Mince lamb and potato, shepherds pie.

Cougar

Red sky at night, shepherd’s delight.

Red sky in the morning, barn on fire.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

If a shepherd’s pie contains lamb and a cottage pie contains beef, what should a vegetarian mince variant be called?

Since shepherds are responsible for sheep how about Midland’s after the chap responsible for TVP? (And coincidentally somewhere you’d not want to go unless you had good reason)

whitestone
    Free Member

Eccles cakes originated in Eccles, hence the name. There’s lots of similar types of cake like the Chorley Cake.

Cougar

Eccles cakes originated in Eccles, hence the name.

The main producer of proper Eccles Cakes is just outside Eccles these days. When the owner was called out on it he famously replied “If you think we’ve got problems, have a word with Mars Bar.”

HebTroCo take note.

aracer
    Free Member

So can I check I’ve got this right – Shepherds pie isn’t made from shepherds, but originally comes from Shepherds (though is now made somewhere else because the company owners had a falling out with the original factory)?

convert

Shepherds pie isn’t made from shepherds, but originally comes from Shepherds (though is now made somewhere else because the company owners had a falling out with the original factory)?

Jambafact?

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

aracer – Member
    So can I check I’ve got this right – Shepherds pie isn’t made from shepherds, but originally comes from Shepherds (though is now made somewhere else because the company owners had a falling out with the original factory)?

If i remeber right the falling out came after they stopped using the original supplier of shepherds and used sheep instead but continued to use shepherding techniques learnt from the original supplier and to intimate that the pies indeed contained shepherds not simply sheep.

anagallis_arvensis

Scotch Pie? Whiskey in pastry or a a bloke in a kilt?

ocrider

Re: jaffa cakes. The base is a genoise sponge, so it’s definitely a cake. I’m in doubt that McVities ever had a factory in Genoa (hobnobs can be a right pain to find in Northern Italy)
    @dangourbrain A classic case of passing off. Coke and Pepsi spent millions on litigation over exactly this problem #puttheshepherdbackinthepie

Cougar

It’s worse than we thought!

RustySpanner

Can’t find those anywhere near us.

sirromj

Does anyone actually like Eccles Cake? It’s the rarest of things – a cake that’s not a cake, but a pastry, and I still actually dislike. Damn that doesn’t make sense. It’s a cake that I don’t like, but not a goddamn cake at all, just the most pathetic excuse of a christmas cake wrapped in crap pastry.

RustySpanner

Love ’em.

We have Sad Cakes round here – similar, but twice the size.
    Great with a slice of cheese.
    The ones from Oddies up the road are spot on.

Sweet, crumbly, fruity goodness.
    Probably one of your five a day too.

What’s not to like?

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Shepherd ('?) s pie.’ is closed to new replies.