• This topic has 11 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by IA.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Shelving a Deep Cupboard
  • woodlikesbeer
    Free Member

We have a deep, built in cupboard in our bedroom. It’s over a metre deep and sits over the stairs. Are suggestions on how best to use the space for storage. I had two thoughts:
    1) add a few more shelves but pretty much keep the same system. The space at the front of the cupboard allows us to climb in to reach stuff at the top

2) replace the shelves with ones that a the same depth as the shelves. We could have two layers of storage I.e. Stuff we use regularly at the front. Stuff we use less often at the back.

Any other suggestions?

Edit: yes I know it’s a mess. We’re in the middle of redecorating

fettling
    Free Member

A couple of sets of those narrow space pull out kitchen shelves. You could then fill the cupboard and pull out each set of shelves separately to get at your stuff.

woodlikesbeer
    Free Member

That’s a good idea. Just trying to think how they would work with the bi-fold door. Could always change the door.

ourmaninthenorth

Handy space.

I’d redo the shelves as follows:

Re-space the shelves to get another one or two in
    Make the shelves the full depth of the space
    Follow your plan of separately storing less used items behind – maybe in boxes.

Get a door!

grantway
    Free Member

Though’s pull-out larders will cost you some money
    Normally fit cupboards 300mm to 600mm only

Maybe use these storage boxes from IKEA and refit the shelves to suit
    IKEA storage

woodlikesbeer
    Free Member

The door is a bi-fold type. It was in the ensuite – had to take it off while I did the flooring. Took a lot longer to get the stupid thing back on than it did to get it off.

I’m wondering if I could get two of the slidy out larder thingys side by side?

Or am I looking at a trip to Ikea……. (swallows nervously)

joshvegas
    Free Member

Full depth shelves at the bottom half depth shelves at to top.

joshvegas
    Free Member

oh and door off the bottom half and leave the other shelves open?

edhornby

variant on the cupboard sliders idea… take all the existing shelves out and make a big square frame with castors on the bottom and panel on one side to replace the door so that all the shelves roll out and you can get to all sides of it (2 big handles on the panel front to help to bring it in and out)
    you could use the bifold panels to make the front and get offcuts from wherever you can to make it for not too much

alternatively, get a load of runners and make deep shelves on sliders like open drawers

BigJohn

That’s a stairwell box at the bottom so immoveable. Above waist height shelves deeper than 600 mm are useless so keep it as it is.

stumpy01

You could make some drawers & fit extending runners (telescopic drawer slides) to them that are secured inside the cupboard itself. Not sure how expensive it would end up, but something like these:

http://www.ironmongerydirect.co.uk/products/cabinet_furniture_and_hardware/runners_and_cabinet_systems/88902/motion_455mm_ball_race_drawer_runner_double_extension_/955400?vat=1&gclid=CNL9rPWN5sMCFWsCwwod-bEAxw&gclsrc=aw.ds

At the last place I worked, we used accuride slides that were pretty long and could take up to a 100% extension. They were rated for about 50kg, I think.

IA

How about some shelves on rollers so you can pull them out, and ditch the door.

Like this:

Expedit rolls too vertically

(what they call expedit is now very similar but called Kallax).

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Shelving a Deep Cupboard’ is closed to new replies.