Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Sheffield singlespeed for road pootling
  • rob1984p
    Free Member

Hopefully someone that lives in Sheffield or somewhere similarly lumpy can give me a simple answer on what singlespeed ratio I should be aiming for on my hack (700c drop bar). I have a 36 tooth ring I’d like to re-use.

I previously used the bike fixed when I lived in Somerset but am not man enough to ride fixed up here.

On my 9 speed 26″ luddite mtb that spends its weekends going up and down Wharncliffe I have a 1:1 as the easiest gear and can normally get up the climbs without resorting to this. and I appreciate that singlespeed is meant to be hard.

Any advice gratefully received.

rob
    Free Member

36×15 (64″) should do you. I use 42×17 (64″) single speed around Sheffield.

theonlywayisup
    Free Member

I toyed with the idea, but soon discovered that any gear that was useful on the flat couldn’t get me straight up Upperthorpe and Springvale Road.

Clearly I am not man enough to ride a singlespeed in Sheffield, so opted for a 5spd hub gear instead.

rob1984p
    Free Member

Cheers for the replies, I just ordered myself a 16 and will see how I get on, especially as I have to deal with the roads “theonlywayisup” mentions.

jackthedog
    Free Member

I ride 44-18 in Sheffield (700C).

Bit spinny on the flat and occasionally brutal on the hills, but it’s versatile enough that I can get everywhere if I choose my route. Not always possible to go direct. For instance on the odd occasion I have to ride from Hillsborough to Crookes – there’s no way I can manage straight up the hill, so I generally go via Netherthorpe, Weston Park and Broomhill.

I did however stomp up Blake Street last summer, just to prove a point. I’m just not exactly sure what that point was, and to whom I was supposedly making it. I think I was expecting ranks of beautiful women lining the road, swooning at my masculinity or something. Instead I just ended up falling into the Blake for a pint, which I drank alone and in silence, to no perceptible fanfare.

sandwicheater

jackthedog, your story has touched me like none other.

sq225917
    Free Member

Get a rear gear hub.

thepodge
    Free Member

I have used 22:16 on 700 fixed, you can ride up anything on that but you wont get there fast and 34:17 on 26″ which gets you there faster but means you have to walk. I too have detoured via netherthorp to get from the ‘bro to places otherwise I go blind with effort

theonlywayisup
    Free Member

especially as I have to deal with the roads “theonlywayisup” mentions.

I should have added that I was on a 26″ MTB* with 1.75″ slick tyres, so you’ll do better on 700c wheels.

Good luck, and I’ll remember to say “hi” if I see you gurning up Upperthorpe or Springvale.

* 26″ being the correct wheel size for a real MTB 😉

rob1984p
    Free Member

I’ll probably just grunt at you!

You’re quite right about MTB wheel sizes, my 1×9 26″ P7 is a delight. This however is a 1970s Claud Butler Cresta tourer which is a superbly balance thing that looks nothing special so can happily be left locked to lampposts outside pubs and the like.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Sheffield singlespeed for road pootling’ is closed to new replies.