Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Sheffield Riders – Lodge Lane area works – Consultation meeting
  • steveh

Many of you who ride around Sheffield may know that the council are doing some works around the lodge lane area. An existing footpath (this first section is actually already a bridleway) which runs from the crosspool road down to Wyming brook is to be upgraded to a Bridleway and by the looks of what's been done so far (though I know the current resurfacing at the top is at about the end point) with clearing etc to make the path suitable for horses ruined. 2 existing bridleways in the area are likely to be downgraded to footpaths as part of the same work (surface unsuitable for horses is the claim). I've got a pdf file showing some the works which I'm happy to send to people by email (or could someone host it somewhere?).

I've been talking to the guys at the ROW department at the council about these works and got an email from a ranger at Wild Sheffield (below) about a meeting regarding the works. I'd love to go along but am currently away with work and will still be out of the country when it takes place. If anyone else fancies heading along to see what's happening and to try and get the MTBers views across that would be great.

Im not sure it'll help much in reality but I still think it'd be a good idea to get a presence and hopefully open the communication channels a little for future works.

I am the land manager for Fox Hagg LNR and Wyming Brook SSSI and I have organised a meeting on Thursday 24th September 7pm -9pm at St Lukes Church, Blackbrook Road, Lodge Moor. Our direct influence extends onto the reserves we manage but we are also consulted on wider issues as well.

I have organised the meeting as there seems to be a lot of people particularly bikers and walkers who feel they haven't been consulted properly and haven't had the chance. As with PROW we have a duty to legal duty to provide bridleway surfaces suitable for use by horseriders and walkers of all descriptions and this is what we have to act on.

However I am sympathetic to bikers and walkers who feel they are losing out on the rougher tracks they enjoyed. I think the meeting will be an opportunity to at least have your views and concerns aired with other track users and it might go some way influencing other users to bear you in mind when they are asking for improvements. Also it may be a chance to meet likeminded people and enable you to orgainse into a group that will have more chance of getting your voices heard.

Sam is right when he says that recognised groups like the RA and BHS have more clout. They tend to be very organised and vocal and speak for a lot of people. Something similar for bikers I think would help you have more influence. Getting a few sympathetic walkers onto the RA would help too.

thepodge
    Free Member

I'd like a copy of the PDF, might be able to host it too.

to be honest though, this seems a lot of fuss about nothing.

downgrading a track seems silly but its only 500m long and it just cuts the corner off a road. there is nothing in the area that makes it useful.

upgrading the path between Redmires and the brook gives a much better and longer track.

antigee

regularly ride wyming brook as a route up and round to top of stanage and would like to see the pdf – good to see comments that maybe the mtb world shouldn't all be 8ft wide leisure gravel – probably can't attend Thurs evening meet – but would like opportunity to comment – years ago used to do BMC access stuff and did bother to contribute to the sheffield ROW review
    will send email to address in profile

steveh

Guys I'll send through the pdf to you both shortly. I worry that the track they make down to wyming brook will be very dull compared the FP which is there now (which of course none of us ever ride) and that any loss of bridleways in the area isn't a good thing especially when it's being done because "they aren't suitable to be modern bridleways" due to their rough, tight nature. Essentially I worry that with other works in the future they'll do similar things and we'll lose more good trails.

The paths they are talking of changing don't link into much legal stuff I agree but we often use them to link when heading out from Rivelin valley toward stanage etc.

cp

I'd like to see the PDF too – this Thursday could be tight, but if I'm prepared for this weekend (big race!) then I'll go along. my email address is in my profile.

ahwiles
    Free Member

interesting, i think i'll pop along…

Pook

I'm interested

ahwiles
    Free Member

i'm the first biker to get all itchy when 'my' trails are surfaced/sanitized/buggered around with, but it's not always bad.

i don't know what it's called, but the BOAT from the back of crosspool that runs parrallel to the A57 was resurfaced about 2 years ago after the rain destroyed it. it's now bedded in a little, the undergrowth is creeping in, and it's becoming quite a nice piece of single/double track – with a few bus-stop drop-in lines behind some trees for the adventurous.
    give it another couple of years and it'll be a Rivelin classic.

steveh

I'm just waiting for the guy to send me a copy as the first ones got lost. Will send it on to you all as soon as I get it.
    I know the path you mean Adam and it's not bad now and with some more erosion it will improve again.

stonemonkey
    Free Member

Would like to see the pdf as well, was running in rivelin tonight a saw a few mtber's out, might even be able to make it to the meeting although i dont know my BOATS from me PROWs so might not present the best face for cyclists.

antigee

did anyone go? i was on pantomine rehearsal duties with small peeps

oddly i can rarely get to evening meetings as mrs antigee is a council officer and so has to attend eveing meetings with the public!

steveh

Guys PDF sent through to you now. The guy at the council has been off hence the delay. He's seen a different version to the one I saw before which has some more information on, showing a circular route they are trying to make. I'd be interested to know the outcome of the meeting if anyone went along.

thepodge
    Free Member

I don't think anyone went along

diplomatt
    Free Member

I couldn't make the meeting. I'd be interested to see the PDF to see what they're proposing please. I didn't know whether to laugh or cry when I saw the work they've done so far. Not really affecting the best cheeky riding round there and provides further justification (to me anyway) to be cheeky. If they can build that then if I can find the time and the place I wouldn't feel at all bad about cutting a new trail in the area.

Matt

Pook

Anyone fancy a ride up there to have a look at the works? And the proposals?

thepodge
    Free Member

I was up there on sunday, its standard 4 foot wide flat sandy track.

stonemonkey
    Free Member

Who did i see on the orange Orange riding down the footpath (naughty naughty) about 7 pm towards the resevoir I was the fella with the little dog?

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Sheffield Riders – Lodge Lane area works – Consultation meeting’ is closed to new replies.