Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Sheffield or Leeds frame respray?
  • scunny
    Free Member

Found a few generic powder coaters that I’m sure would be able to do the job but wondered if anyone could recommend someone they’d already used? Would be a bonus if someone would be conscious of threads/bb/headtube rather than me having to pick all the paint out that gets through the masking tape.

seavers
    Free Member

I have never used them myself but recall other people on here using Bob Jacksons in Leeds. They do a good job apparently. Do a search with that name,I’m sure you will find some old threads.

CHB

LSN coatings in Castleford are brilliant and cheap.
    I have not had a frame done there, but I have had lots of wheels done there and every time I go there they have lots of motorcross and other frames in (not many cycles). They will powdercoat anything and are very good.

Tracey

You wont find much better than LSN Coatings in Castleford. We have had four done their and they have all been first class and a reasonable price. He will strip the existing finish and masks out all the threads.There are some images up on the finish he has done for us and has had many satisfied customers on here.

scunny
    Free Member

Ah great, will have a look into lsn.

damascus
    Free Member

Just be careful how they remove the old paint. I remember seeing a santa cruz nomad frame, from the outside it looked fantastic, however, when we looked closely at the inside of the seat tube it had loads of tiny little holes from being shot blasted.

Quality painters understand this.

If it’s a decent frame get it soda blasted first. Might be more expensive but worth it and you just might love the super raw look?

chestrockwell

Triple S in Bingley are superb but more money than LSN. For a wet paint finish Bob Jackson are very good.

gibbonarms
    Free Member

I’ve just had a frame powdercoated at LSN and his masking was awful, I didn’t think I’d get my bb threaded back in but with flattening back and perseverance I did. In future I’d put an old bb in. Also, as it was a FS frame, every single pivot needed cleaning/filing, not the tidiest job but a great frame finish, loads of colours and cheap as chips.

scunny
    Free Member

I’ve got some threaded brake mounts on the frame (thinking of silicone sealing these before handing it over) but the rest is bb30 and tapered bearings so hopefully any over spill can be easily pealed off.

mikey-simmo
    Free Member

Our experience of triple s wasn’t great, one bottom bracket is never coming out!

withersea
    Free Member

Used triple SS, expensive and not bike friendly to be honest and limited choice of colour. Wish I’d gone to bob jackson

jwab
    Free Member

Used this lot in Sheffield to strip, repair and powder coat an old coppi steel road frame I have -http://www.cyclesinmotion.co.uk/

I can highly recommend them, did a fantastic job.

darthshearer
    Free Member

Bob Jackson.

Did a cracking job on mine. Will use them again.

ads678

Mate had a frame done at Bob Jackson, they did a great job. They are proper bike place so know exactly what to do.

I’ve had wheels powder coated at Midas Touch in Castleford and they were very good, have seen bike frames waiting to be done in there and was going to take my HT there but haven’t got round to it yet. They said it would be about £50 for bike frame.

Tracey

Three pics of the four we had done, no problems at all with the cleaning of the frames or the masking out of all the threads, all built back up very easy.

They still look as good as the day they were done

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I’ve used TripleS three times – can’t really fault them. I’ve had loads of frames powdercoated and in my experience, you will ALWAYS get some powder in threads etc but its a 2 minute job to clean them out.

Triple-S are expensive vs other places I’ve used but other places have left frames with orange peel effect, dust/dirt under the powder, no masking of headtubes etc so despite the extra cost, I’ve gone back to Triple-S.

spower3
    Free Member

Powder precision at Mexborough. Craig knows exactly what he’s doing when it comes to powder coating bike frames(stripping, masking, baking etc), had my frame done there last year and was masked up perfectly by him and the finish is excellent. 6-7 other friends used him for their bikes and not had any issues. Would definitely have another bike done there.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Sheffield or Leeds frame respray?’ is closed to new replies.