Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Sheffield mtb trail developments recently-ish, any of them nearly finished?
  • james
    Free Member

Not so long ago I seem to remember reading a few announcments of official new trailbuilding/waymarking in a few places were to be being finished around about now
    they would be:

Lady Cannings Plantation, Ringinglow – If I go to ride around Stanage/Blackamoor, will I be able to link in new stuff in Lady Cannings yet?

Sheffield Ski-centre – When is this DH track due to open, any idea if Ill ‘die’ If I dont have an 8″ DH bike?
    Oh, and the non lift assisted XC stuff mentioned?

Greno Woods – IIRC theres to be a waymarked loop going in with some new trail to be built which I cant rmemeber rightly has some Steel City DH connection? And the rest of it?

gravity-slave
    Free Member

Some of the above are live, some on hold and some long term (several years away).

Best bet is to keep an eye on Ride Sheffield, who are actively involved in lots of the digging and try to communicate and coordinate the rest:

Alone-Charitable

Lady Cannings – no new stuff yet
    Ski Village – gone quiet, no progress, track ridable on hardtail. XC on the long term plan (2019)
    Greno Woods – new DH track only just completed, new loop some time in the future but the Wildlife Trust now own the land and are pro bikes so great news!

ahwiles
    Free Member

Greno Woods – new DH track only just completed is not quite ready yet, but really not far off, and it’s going to be bloody brilliant.

good stuff is happening, but most if not all of it depends on the cooperation of large organisations (like sheffield council), which work on … a … different … time … scale …

alex222
    Free Member

in short; no

LongboardSi
    Free Member

but there’s loads of good riding all the same…

alex222
    Free Member

agreed. i try to ignore all of the community spirit guff. just keep my head down and ride where i want, when i want.

i am also aware this is a bad attitude to have; but all ride sheffield appear to have done is get bridal ways turned into footpaths and then get non way marked trails graded and turned into footpaths.

ahwiles
    Free Member

need a hug?

alex222
    Free Member

yes please

Superficial
    Free Member

Phil, the last I heard about the ski village was that there was going to be some sort of opening day in April – but this was back in November time. Any progress on that front?

The only change I’ve seen is that the path through Fox Hagg is now officially a bridleway (and the signs have all been updated to show this). Which is pretty cool actually, now I have a legitimate route out into the peak from my house (all bridleway). Now I don’t have to feel bad about riding along that path.

james
    Free Member

“there’s loads of good riding all the same… “
    Just less all the bits that have been levelled, widened and/or covered in non-local loose rubble

Some Ive come across:
    Houndkirk Road
    Jumble Road (above Xroad with Houndkirk)
    Long Causeway to stanage edge
    Cut Gate (langsett side down to the bridge above the reservior)
    Gores Farm/Lockerbrook (top of)
    Hagg Side > Ladybower res. (north spur)
    Wooler Knoll > Ladybower dam (permisive b.way)
    Xroad above ‘beast’ down to hope cross (almost as before last time I was there)
    Mam Nick > Greenlands
    Rushop Edge > Mam Nick (part of)
    Chapel Gate
    Cut Thorn > 3 shire heads
    Hungerhill Lane (nr. Holymoorside)
    Black Harry Gate Lane (between Great Longstone and Eyam

I read something a while back listing the ‘to do list’

There must be more

scruzer
    Free Member

On a similar note and a Q I have been meaning to ask for ages is why does Bradwell (Bramble Edge?) Edge have a bleeding fence across half way down? It is a Bridal Way afterall. Looks like there are some sneaky DH tracks to the right leading to the steeper final decsent…

Pook

another bridal way, yesterday

joedaho
    Free Member

I presume that you’ve been out digging with your own fair hand on these projects james, giving up your own weekends and riding time? Also I presume you made yourself heard at the advocatcy meeting with representatives from the council in the Lescar at the start of the winter whereby 200 MTBers told them what poorly conceived idea it all was?

I’m trying hard not to use some unpleasant words here…..

james
    Free Member

I wasnt saying come on hurry up, I was merely curious
    EDIT: Oh and it seems I had a moan about bridleway ‘improvements’ too

joedaho
    Free Member

It didn’t come across well.

Trails don’t magic themselves places, and holes don’t get fixed by pixies after tourists come and skid down my night ride loop…

Pook

‘your’ night ride loop?

Ooh get her.

😉

nosedive
    Free Member

on the plus side, while we are waiting for all these good things to happen loads of other is getting built. Anyone ridden the new tracks dug in below the singletraction place at wharneclifffe? excellent stuff.

i cant ride it properly and it makes me crash, but excellent all the same

magiclinemtb
    Free Member

I’m sure the various builders/volunteers/bikers would be more that happy if you donated a couple of days there’d be more than a few people (me included) who could show you enough stuff in those areas to blow your mind…

Its also a great way to meet like minded people

Its also a great way give something back to the sport.

jamesco

Dint Peaty ask folk to lay off those new digs until Steel City DH ?

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Sheffield mtb trail developments recently-ish, any of them nearly finished?’ is closed to new replies.