Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Sheffield – eating and drinking?
  • disco_stu
    Free Member

I’m off to Sheffield this afternoon to see Kraftwerk at Sheffield City Hall but I’ve never been there before so I’m after some recommendations where to eat before hand – Japanese/Thai/Asian would be my preference within walking distance of the venue.
    Recommendations for any pubs near the venue (Camra/craft ales) also appreciated?

Mowgli
    Free Member

One of my favourites is Zeugma on London road – Turkish restaurant, does an excellent (and enormous) mixed grill, good to share.

Sakushi is a good sushi restaurant, bit like Yo Sushi.

finbar
    Free Member

There’s two or three Japanese places on Division St, which leads right to City Hall. None of them are particularly high-end, but perfectly nice for a pre-gig meal. I suggest just taking a stroll up Division St and seeing what takes your fancy. Some nice bars too – the Forum will be good today as you can sit outside on Devonshire Green. That’s at the top of Division St (opposite end to City Hall).

finbar
    Free Member

Alternatively the pub at Sheffield train station itself (if that’s how you’re travelling) – the Sheffield Tap – is supposed to be good for real-ale fans, but I’m not one of them 😀

handyman153
    Free Member

I lived on London road for a year or so, and that’s definitely the place to head for food.
    Ecclesall road always seems tempting, but its basically just chains.

If you want Thai –
    Baan Thai, right at the bottom of London road is great food! Slightly posher, and a little bit more expensive than the rest of London road, but it is worth it. £22 ish P/P for a full set meal, is a great option.

Japanese –
    WasabiSaba – Walk straight past this place, and don’t even look in. Been 3/4 times, always hoping it would get better, and its dreadful!
    Yama Shushi – Nice sushi, very traditional, not bad pricing.

Chinese –
    Noodle Inn – People rave about this, and it is great traditional chinese food. Decent pricing, big portions.
    Satay Yo Beer – Great food, good beer. What more could you want?

Vietnamese –
    Saigon 68 – Great food again, decent sized portions. Good choice.

However I would go with Mowgli!
    Zeugma is amazing food! We go all the time (probably too much!).
    2 Zeugma’s on London road, both close-ish to the bottom. And both pretty much identical.
    Go!!

johndoh
    Free Member

If you are wiling to try Indian, try Lahore in the Wicker Arches – a no-fuss cafe where you’ll be eating alongside Asian taxi drivers and the like. No huge menu, just a few things they do amazingly well. No alcohol allowed though.

But you will thank me, I can assure you of that.

(Ohh and it really is cheap as chips – naans for £1)!

tlr

Oi Soi is a good Asian fusion style restaurant in the city centre by the Peace Gardens.

Pork Meatball soup is excellent.

Digby

+1 for ‘Oi Soi’ … went there recently and really enjoyed the Korean style

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Sheffield – eating and drinking?’ is closed to new replies.