• This topic has 18 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by Digby.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Sheffield Bike Park
  • thepodge
    Free Member

Seen this floating around for a while but looks like its picking up a bit now

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/sheffield-indoor-bike-park-announced-2017.html

http://www.sheffieldbikepark.org/

Sheffield BMX Legend George French in on board so I’m going to say this will be total winner.

nwmlarge
    Free Member

Looks like a good venture

thepodge
    Free Member

As long as it doesn’t end up filled with kids on scooters like most of the skate / BMX places then I’m up for it.

thepodge
    Free Member

I thought there would have been more interest in this on the forum

cp

Err, it involves actually riding bikes. That’s not what STW is about 😉

ahwiles
    Free Member

If I was 18 years younger, I’d be all over this…

(it sounds like a great idea to me, but I’m as I’m definitely not their target demographic then I’m sure I’ve got the wrong idea)

sharkattack

Having just moved to Sheffield I’m excited about it. I’ve gone from having nowhere to ride to being spoiled for choice with even more stuff coming down the pipeline.

I like the idea of having something to do when it’s dark and freezing. I also like the idea of riding stuff that I don’t get to ride on a normal mountain bike ride. Like pump tracks, rhythm sections, a giant dirt bowl etc..

Not sure about the idea of indoor technical climbs and descents. Why would you bother? In Sheffield, of all places, where you’ve got amazing trails heading off in all directions, full of roots, rocks and gritty reality. Why would you build an indoor imitation of it?

So yeah, “super stoked yo” to have another bad weather/after work option and I can’t wait to hit some pumps, bumps and jumps. Hopefully some kind of massive vert wall carves. I’m not paying to pedal up and down awkward, ply wood, fake trails though.

EDIT:
    This place was amazing but sadly it was very short lived.

thepodge
    Free Member

I can’t imagine it being too technical or it’ll frighten off the target audience.

Where are those pics from?

thepodge
    Free Member

That does / did look good but I cant help think something a bit gentler would be a more lucrative market.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I was going to say, wasn’t there something in the North East following a similar idea that fell on its arse.

A mate/past business associate had this idea waay back in the mid noughties and the figures just didn’t add up so never followed it up.

Good luck but its not for me. I’m ooot.

finbar
    Free Member

Not sure about the idea of indoor technical climbs and descents. Why would you bother? In Sheffield, of all places, where you’ve got amazing trails heading off in all directions, full of roots, rocks and gritty reality. Why would you build an indoor imitation of it?

I think it’s a great idea if they’ve got the headspace – I’ll ride them.

can’t imagine it being too technical or it’ll frighten off the target audience.

Have you ever been to a skatepark? They’re not generally the most beginner-friendly environments, and with George French at the helm I don’t imagine this place will be too boring either 😀

I’ll be signing up for membership as soon as it launches on Kickstarter. Can’t wait!

thepodge
    Free Member

I too will be signing up as the place they have their eye on is 2 minute from my work.

All I meant was I’ve been to a few skate parks in my time and they are always full of kids and a couple of older guys doing big stuff, if its mostly technical then the kids wont go and they are the ones with the money and the time.

Stevet1
    Free Member

I was going to say, wasn’t there something in the North East following a similar idea that fell on its arse

Ape skatepark used to have dirt trails, they weren’t great though.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Im fairly sure Sheffield had indoor trails before? Didn’t they host NPS 4x races?

Digby

wasn’t there something in the North East following a similar idea that fell on its arse

There was also one in Chapeltown near Sheffield. Sadly it closed quite a few years ago. Was a pretty good venue and quite a few races were held there including some of the Dialled Bikes Series.

I’ll be supporting the new venture as I think it’s a good thing for Sheffield and cycling, even though I’m now an old man who can no longer clear the any of the doubles at Bolehills …

thepodge
    Free Member

Sheffield used to have a MX track that got downgraded to a mountain bike track after an accident but it didn’t last long, I believe rent and insurance put them out of business.

Digby

I believe rent and insurance put them out of business

Yes, from memory it was the Liability Insurance costs that became prohibitive.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Sheffield Bike Park’ is closed to new replies.