Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 161 total)
  • Sheep free places to walk in lake district
  • totalshell

report em to the council… when my three year old was approached by two labs who knocked her over and then stood over her barking the fuzz could not have cared less said it wasnt the ‘sort of thing we can deal with’ and the owner of the animals he said i should nt have let my daughter walk without us holding her hand

SD-253
    Free Member

jam bo – Member

By the way a lot of the people killed by cattle are trying to catch there dog who is worrying the cattle eventualy the cattle turn on the dog and the owner gets “run over” by the cattle who have had enough of the dog……….good

I think you’ll find it tends to be the dog walkers who kept their dogs on a lead that get trampled.

A staggeringly ignorant/stupid belief. I have never ever seen a walker with a dog on a lead being “worried” by cattle any more than humans are in general. Yet again someone who is an expert in the field of ignorance!

anagallis_arvensis

I have never ever seen a walker with a dog on a lead being “worried” by cattle any more than humans are in general. Yet again someone who is an expert in the field of ignorance!

I have cattle dont like dogs especially when they have calves. I’ve seen cattle chase off sheep dogs. But what do I know I only grew up on a farm and have worked on some too.

rkk01
    Free Member

I have never ever seen a walker with a dog on a lead being “worried” by cattle any more than humans are in general. Yet again someone who is an expert in the field of ignorance!

As with A_A – worked on a farm all through my teenage years. If a dog is off the lead they can clear off out of the way of the cattle. on the lead and both the dog and the dog owner are at risk.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

SD-253 – are you for real?

the advice actualy is if cattle start to come after you when walking your dog let the dog off the lead so it can run away / divert the cattle from you. http://www.snh.gov.uk/docs/A563785.pdf

councils can and do pass byelaws resticting where dogs can be walked and when they have to be on a lead,

The police can and do get involved when dogs are dangerously out of control – this is a criminal offesnse under he dangerous dogs act

Teh councils do have dog wardens whose job it is to manage dog fouling and so on.

j_me
    Free Member

One of my inlaws’ springer spaniels was shot for worrying sheep. The farmer shot him twice with a shotgun

SD-253
    Free Member

[/quote]As with A_A – worked on a farm all through my teenage years. If a dog is off the lead they can clear off out of the way of the cattle. on the lead and both the dog and the dog owner are at risk.[/quote]

a dog is off the lead they can clear off out of the way of the cattle.

A pity the owner can’t

on the lead and both the dog and the dog owner are at risk.

Yet again pure ignorance the cattle will go to the dogs owner (merely because they are inquisitive animals) as they would if the walker had a dog or not. The fact that you worked on a farm is irrelative I on the other hand am out waling most days and have cattle charging up to me and I have no dog. By the way which arable farm did you work on? “I worked on a farm when I was tenager” so you are an expert on animal behavior?…… buffoon

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

…the owner of the animals he said i should nt have let my daughter walk without us holding her hand

Seriously? 😯

SD-253
    Free Member

SD-253 – are you for real?

The advice actualy is if cattle start to come after you when walking your dog let the dog off the lead so it can run away What so the dog can worry the animals? Again cattle always run up to you because they are inquisitive animals exactly the same behavior as horses. How the hell would you know they are going to trample you and how would you have the time to get your dog of the lead before they trampled you. You really need to think before you make blatantly stupid remarks……..”let the dog of the lead if the cattle are going to trample you divert the cattle from you.” I would always do that because I would know for certain they are going to run me over I can tell by there ….eyes and I have the benefit ob being able to see into the future…….. dummy

councils can and do pass byelaws resticting where dogs can be walked

Can they really I was unaware that dogs can be barred from footpaths and bridleways? That is irony you are talking rubbish

and when they have to be on a lead

not on right of way and byelaws is not the ame as law enacted by the parliament which would be needed stop dogs owner from using a right of way.

SD-253
    Free Member

I have cattle dont like dogs especially when they have calves. I’ve seen cattle chase off sheep dogs. But what do I know I only grew up on a farm and have worked on some too.
    You appear to be agreeing with me I am clearly talking about dogs off the lead worrying animals. The dog then run to the owner when the cattle turn on him and get trampled. Wake up

I have cattle

Was that a typing error? as you appear to be saying you don’t work on a farm now.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I cry troll

supersessions9-2
    Free Member

I was going to write something but really can’t be bothered. This thread has turned into stupid arguments about nothing.

SD-253
    Free Member

anagallis_arvensis – Member

“I have never ever seen a walker with a dog on a lead being “worried” by cattle any more than humans are in general. Yet again someone who is an expert in the field of ignorance!”

I have just reread again your remarks, where did I say cattle would not chase of dogs that are running loose and worrying them. Wake up and give up the wacky baccy

SD-253
    Free Member

TandemJeremy – Member
    I cry troll

Yep I have to agree you are!

SD-253
    Free Member

supersessions9-2 – Member
    I was going to write something but really can’t be bothered. This thread has turned into stupid arguments about nothing.

Yes I agree but I am afraid I am easily annoyed by ignorant people my apoligies to you supersessions9-2

supersessions9-2
    Free Member

so distilling 3 pages down thsi thread goes something like this:

farmers shoot dogs,
    no they don’t,
    yes they do and with shotguns,
    no they use m16s
    no they send their cows in to trample you.
    cows don’t trample you rappers do……

SD-253
    Free Member

TandemJeremy – Member
    I cry troll

So any one who disagrees with you is a troll? maybe you. You appear not to be able to answer my previous statement is that because you are wrong? Now must go as I have to go for a walk on farmland with cattle who as usual will run upto me and there bear off as soon as they get close just like they always do. dog or no dog.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

No – because you a troll. or stupid.

Read the link, listen to folk who know, check the law

rkk01
    Free Member

Ahh yes, the whiff of TrollShit

But just in case no trolls around…

Yet again pure ignorance the cattle will go to the dogs owner (merely because they are inquisitive animals) as they would if the walker had a dog or not. The fact that you worked on a farm is irrelative I on the other hand am out waling most days and have cattle charging up to me and I have no dog. By the way which arable farm did you work on? “I worked on a farm when I was tenager” so you are an expert on animal behavior?…… buffoon

I’m prety comfortable around most cattle. My exceptions would be Channel Island cows (Jerseys, Guernseys – both a rare sight these days), any dairy breed bulls, and 18 month or so beef steers / bullocks.

Ohh, and my farm work – an old fashioned mixed dairy / beef / arable farm in Cornwall. About 70 milkers – mainly Friesians, plus a few Holsteins and a couple off channel islands to bring the overall cream content up.

Most of my work was with the beef herd and arable, which was rotated on one farm unit. So a lot of Friesian / Hereford crosses from the dairy unit, then as meat fashions changed Friesian crossed with Charolais (and the occaisional Limousin) – and at circa 1 ton these are mad as hatters. They were also building upo a herd of South Devons – big cattle, but (in general) very good natured.

So, no i’m not an expert on animal behaviour, but have enough confidence in my own experience to gauge how / when / if to go through a field of cattle.

Midnighthour
    Free Member

Not read all replies, so sorry if duplicating something.

Farmers use rifles. I know of a farmer who has African game stuffed and hung in his house that he went on safaris and shot himself. I have not seen the room but have been told by his close friend there are loads of animals preserved there. Farmers who are into hunting are good shots. Must admit I was shocked this game hunting still goes on, but have actually seen references to it in newspapers in the last few months.

To shoot a fox you watch it moving about until it pauses, then you shoot.
    Foxes even if moving away from you (watch one if you get a chance) habitually pause to look back. Thats your moment. Explained to me by someone who used to double his salary a few decades back, by hunting birds / deer and selling them on to butchers etc.

Also most farmers are decent people, who would not choose to shoot someone’s pet unless the circumstances were pretty desperate. However they are within their rights legally to do so.

SD-253
    Free Member

TandemJeremy – Member
    No – because you a troll. or stupid.

Read the link, listen to folk who know, check the law
    Come on TandemJeremy I cannot think of a single time I haven’t come accross you giving your views on every possible subject all day long. Although I use the site iregularly you clearly don’t, now if that is not the definition of a troll what is?

because you a troll. or stupid.

Surely someone who is as ignorant as you suggest I am would be stupid where would troll come into it? You really need to stop saying the first thing that comes into your head.
    By the way you have not answered the “how would you feel if your wife chidren or parents came accross 3 aggressive dogs” “I will run and tell the council dog warden or ring the police” is I believe your answer and “you can’t use a weapon to protect them according to you”…….or were you talking abot other people not being alowed to use weapons to protect there family?

youngwilliam
    Free Member

My Two Penneth If you have a dog keep it on a lead unless you’re on private property.

(Opinion from a family of owning Gun trained Springer Spaniels)

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Why don’t they just keep sheep in large barns or something with big fences round then there woon’t be a problem with dogs and that?

I for one would support any campaign for a sheep (and cah) free environment.

SD-253
    Free Member

Midnighthour – Member

Farmers use rifles. I know of a farmer who has African game stuffed and hung in his house that he went on safaris and shot himself. I have not seen the room but have been told by his close friend there are loads of animals preserved there. Farmers who are into hunting are good shots. Must admit I was shocked this game hunting still goes on, but have actually seen references to it in newspapers in the last few months.

To shoot a fox you watch it moving about until it pauses, then you shoot.
    Foxes even if moving away from you (watch one if you get a chance) habitually pause to look back. Thats your moment. Explained to me by someone who used to double his salary a few decades back, by hunting birds / deer and selling them on to butchers etc.

Also most farmers are decent people, who would not choose to shoot someone’s pet unless the circumstances were pretty desperate. However they are within their rights legally to do so.

Well put Midnighthour – Member

[/quote]
    Well put Midnighthour they do use a rifle but not with particuly high velocity. The game keeper I work for(only as a beater) and drink with uses a rifle But there is no requirement to wait for it to stop (the fox) aiming in front of slow moving animal (so he walks into the bullet) is easily done. In this case you would probably aim at the very front of the chest (depending on distance) and the fox would walk into it.

SD-253
    Free Member

Elfinsafety – Member
    Why don’t they just keep sheep in large barns or something with big fences round then there woon’t be a problem with dogs and that?

I for one would support any campaign for a sheep (and cah) free environment.
    I assume you are joking Elfinsafety as obviously this would be considered cruel furthermore what would you feed them on? Sheep feed is used when they are lambing indoors and if they are brought in for the winter keeping them inside would make it inpossible to sell them (price).

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

SD 253 – one of the bits you refused to see.

• If cattle react aggressively and move towards you, keep calm, let the dog go and take the shortest, safest route out of the field.

This is the advice from the experts.

richc
    Free Member

Oh god, I am agreeing with TJ, the shame.

SD 253, you are mad or a troll, so far on this thread you have admitted carrying offensive weapons with the intent to kill/maim, you have wished a painful death on walkers by crushing, and have gone against all known advice to drop the lead, if cattle decide the dog is a threat that needs to be dealt with, so that the dog can lure them off and you can *walk* (FFS don’t run, unless you don’t mind the slowest person in the group getting crushed) to safety.

user-removed
    Free Member

SD-253…. Yes cows are interested in people and will amble over to investigate walkers, but that is a very different proposition from having a herd ‘lock-on’ to your dog and start charging.

Very occasionally I’ll forget about a field with cows and calves and take my dog for a walk in the wrong place. It’s happened a few times over the years and it really is terrifying – as has been said, the only thing to do is let the dog off the lead so it can make a break for the nearest exit. And believe me, these cows are definitely intent on trampling the dog. No doubt whatsoever.

The dog does not then turn round and start worrying several tonnes of bovine angriness – he legs it. So please do stop spouting drivel.

jam-bo

for what its worth, my dog got chased by a dartmoor pony the other day.

Should I have shot it for dog worrying?

SD-253
    Free Member

TandemJeremy – Member
    SD 253 – one of the bits you refused to see.

If cattle react aggressively and move towards you, keep calm, let the dog go and take the shortest, safest route out of the field.

This is the advice from the experts.
    Yes I did answer you. What experts? Do you mean the goverment? Who no doubt you believe when it suits you. I will say this again it is rare for cattle not to run at you and I just went along footpath through a field of cattle and as usual they ran at me. This is normal behaviour how letting your dog of would make any differance is beyond me. You have to grasp it you if and the so called experts you to choose to believe on this occasion say otherwise you are talking bollocks.

You have yet to answer this

By the way you have not answered the “how would you feel if your wife chidren or parents came accross 3 aggressive dogs” “I will run and tell the council dog warden or ring the police” is I believe your answer and “you can’t use a weapon to protect them according to you”…….or were you talking about other people not being alowed to use weapons to protect there family?

Can I assume you put a high value on your families life and fear than you think others should put. Surprise me and answer

richc
    Free Member

or what its worth, my dog got chased by a dartmoor pony the other day.

Depends on if you want to be eating pony burger for 18 months.

SD-253
    Free Member

jam bo – Member
    for what its worth, my dog got chased by a dartmoor pony the other day.

I think everyone is agreement that you should not have your dog loose

jam-bo

no they aren’t.

fogliettaz
    Free Member

I think the OP must have lost the will to live after all this, he only wants to take his dog for a walk!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Jambos dog is well trained – I have plenty previous for giving dog owners “what for” on here but I do want a fair and honest answer – if the dog is properly trained so remains under control without a lead then that is perfectly acceptable

richc
    Free Member

“how would you feel if your wife chidren or parents came accross 3 aggressive dogs”

I think any sane person, would answer this as follows: ‘I would feel angry, and outraged and want the owners of the dogs held to account’

Most, wouldn’t answer (well apart from on internet forums): ‘I would go all bruce lee on their asses, and knife them, let them bleed, let them blleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeedddddddddddddddddddddddddd’

If you do decide to knife one of three german shepards, I expect to be read something in the news in the future about a man maulled to death after attacking 3 family pets.

Actually, after googling ‘man killed by dog’ it appears from the number of hits that more people get killed trying to save dogs than ever get killed by them actually attacking them. I am going to have to keep a closer eye on mine near ponds in case he shows any signs of wanting to ‘upgrade’ his owner, to one that feeds him steak.

jon1973
    Free Member

Battery sheep?

richc
    Free Member

They are planning on battery farming cows:
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/feb/28/factory-farm-plans-under-fire

Sorta like, the anti-organic/welfare food movement 🙁

youngwilliam
    Free Member

Everybody’s dog is the best trained dog in the world and would never ever ever worry a sheep or turn around and snap a child on the had for pulling it’s ears would it now…

If you’re on the moor or in a park with children keep it on a lead, it’s really very simple indeed.

ilovemygears
    Free Member

fogliettaz – Member
    I think the OP must have lost the will to live after all this, he only wants to take his dog for a walk!

and now he fears for his dogs life…

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 161 total)

The topic ‘Sheep free places to walk in lake district’ is closed to new replies.