Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 161 total)
  • Sheep free places to walk in lake district
  • anc
    Free Member

Whinlatter, Dodd, Lowther Park/Dent(west coast) Setmurthy etc etc. Basically any of the forests would be fine. High fells are pretty much fine too so long as you have some sort of control of your dog. You don’t see so many sheep on the tops as the grazing is cr@p and they tend to steer clear of the main walkers routes….. generally. 😉

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Hence the likelihood of a farmer, having the gun to hand (you don’t just have these things in your car, just incase

We clearly hang arround with different farmers.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

So considering farmers are businessmen, first and foremost

Farmers are farmers, its a way of life!

richc
    Free Member

the fox and the rabbits would be with a .22 rifle

.22 is too small for foxes, unless you are very close or very lucky, and dogs are typically much bigger than foxes

supersessions9-2
    Free Member

LHS, ANC and David taylforth. Thank you for your suggestions.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

.22 is too small for foxes, unless you are very close or very lucky, and dogs are typically much bigger than foxes

GPMG on a bipod with a crate-load of 7.62mm. That’ll do your foxes and your dogs. And probably your elephants, if you’re unlucky enough to have one sh!tting among your sheep while not on a leash.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

We clearly hang arround with different farmers.

Don’t let the smell of manure confuse you – he’s not really a farmer. 😉

ilovemygears
    Free Member

dont, let ur bloody dog wipe out half the country side, if i saw it on my land it would be a dead dog. Coz sheep/ cows / ducks/ my pet cat are nicer than dogs, and they dont look so nice when half of them is missing 🙁

finding his animals with horrific injuries and “dying on their feet” following a dog attack on 13th February…”The injuries were absolutely horrific. Those we had to destroy were beyond help – the skin was torn from the back of their heads all the way down their faces and you could see their teeth.

this quote sums up why farmers shoot dogs, and dont lose to much sleep over it.

richc
    Free Member

**** me, TJ is even quoting the Daily Mail now.

Also reading those articles, TJ has nicely highlighted my point, so thanks for the links.

Farmers don’t shoot the animals when they are chasing livestock. Once they have stopped however, its a different matter.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

sorry richc – I won’t do it again

rkk01
    Free Member

Awful lot of poorly informed BS on this thread.

Yes, farmers can and do shoot dogs. it’s pretty rare, and will be the result of someone being at the end of their tether and probably knowing which dog is the culprit.

shotguns v rifles v longbows 😆

Well, first off, bow hunting is illegal in the UK

Shotguns v rifles… well shotgun is going to be the most common gun available within the countryside / farming communities. Some farmers keep .22 rifles for rabbits – I know, both my cousin and my father kept .22s. My father got rid of his 30+ years ago as the licensing requirements just got too prescriptive. AKAIK my cousin still has his – only really got used for rabbits. .22 doesn’t have a lot of stopping power for anything else…

Shotgun? well that will do very well for a fox. we used to go on the local estate vermin shoots, and although i’ve never taken a shot at a fox with a 12 bore, that was the standard tool for foxes (never any hunting with hunds on that estate). We always carried a couple of Eley Alphamax 3″ magnum shells in case we came across a fox… (range probably good for 45 yds, and about as good a stopping power as you legally get with a 12g)

richc
    Free Member

I have to admit, I have never seen a farmer out protecting his livestock with a longbow and I am not 100% sure what I would do if I did ……

Only on STW do people come up with stuff like that 🙂

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

So does this mean I can shoot cats sh!tting in my garden?

Hell, I’ll even unleash the hamster so they’re roaming through my livestock.

richc
    Free Member

who knows; I should imagine someone will be along in a minute to say, yes, if using a specially trained barn owl. As it seems to be ‘make shit up, Monday’

ilovemygears
    Free Member

richc – Member
    who knows; I should imagine someone will be along in a minute to say, yes, if using a specially trained barn owl. As it seems to be ‘make shit up, Monday’

well if you can go hawking for rabbits im sure you can hawking for Yorkshire terriers, 🙂 (joke)

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Its a sea eagle or Erne you want for sorting out cats. No one argues with one of them they weigh over 6 kg and have a wingspan of over 8 feet. sort a stupid little cat out no problem

ilovemygears
    Free Member

how do you train a sea eagle?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

With a big stick.

ilovemygears
    Free Member

what do they eat? apart from cats?

richc
    Free Member

I think you will find the answer to that question is actually: ‘carefully’

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

ilovemygears – Member

what do they eat? apart from cats?

Tired hillwalkers / cyclists are a fave snack. Hillwalkers lunch a close second. They can often be found outside Greggs trying to get a pasty as well.

timc
    Free Member

at least the views will be nice as you pick dog crap up & put it in your pocket 😉

ilovemygears
    Free Member

timc – Member
    at least the views will be nice as you pick dog crap up & put it in your pocket

Epicly funny i must say:)

MrNutt
    Free Member

I never said “high powered” rifle, I said rifle, and if you were shooting from an elevated position the only place a stray bullet would go is into the ground.

anagallis_arvensis

I grew up on a farm and know lots of farmers none AFAIK have ever shot a dog, the fact TJ that those articles have made the papers suggests to me its pretty rare. Farmers will start to get trigger happy and sit in wait if its happend before though I suppose. I have seen a dog worrying sheep first hand. We managed to catch it (I say we what I mean is the dogs caught it) the owner said it couldnt have been her dog as it was a collie and they like sheep FFS. A lot of shot dogs are poachers dogs shot by keepers, the keepers generally have the right weapons and ability to hit a target.

totalshell

as for weapon of choice a clean kill would be essential, who ‘d want an angry yorkshire terrier charging thier grandma? so i’d think that something mobile high velocity and preferably HE would fit the bill.. no i havent seen many farmers tanks either, but i bet john deere do a ‘off the menu” model if you ask.

ilovemygears
    Free Member

i think a ground to ground missile would do the best job

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

AA – from various reports there are a few dogs shot every year in the pentlands – a small area of hills near edinburgh

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

I see your mutt townie… Get orf my land!

MrSmith
    Free Member

Awful lot of poorly informed BS on this thread.

it is STW after all.
    most of the BS is from people who don’t hold a firearms certificate and have never regularly shot deer/foxes/rabbits (or dogs!) on private farmland yet are suddenly experts on the subject.

zokes
    Free Member

Have you seen it first hand, or know someone who has seen it first hand?

Well, two were shot last year on the farm where my in-laws live in Wales. Understandably, the farmer took a pretty dim view of the dogs chasing his pregnant ewes towards a large cliff. I have no idea what ICBM / water pistol he used to achieve this task, but it seemed to be pretty effective.

I am sure on the whole it is pretty rare, but it does happen. Take a look at some of the more graphic notices at gates into fields where dog attacks have happened. It appears that cute liddle Rover who wouldn’t hurt a mite did have quite a taste for sheep. Understandably, if the farmer then happens to be in the right place at the right time to interviene, then they probably will, using whatever means is deemed by them on their land to be the most suitable to protect their business.

Not the same incident, but a good article to demonstrate the point:

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/2009/02/04/devil-dogs-go-on-sheep-killing-rampage-in-denbigh-55578-22850805/

SD-253
    Free Member

mrmichaelwright – Member
    you’d never shoot at a moving fox with a rifle. more to the point you’d never hit a moving fox with a rifle. they are tiny, generally far away and bloody fast movers!

First of mrmichaelwright your belief that you can not take out a moving fox is damn stupid. Of course you can take out a moving fox thats like saying you can not take out a moving person i am sure our troops in Afganistan would disagree with you on that. Most farmers would put a pair of dogs in (legaly I might add) and sit in wait for the fox to come out shooting it on the run. Furthermore I know a game keeper who has had to kill deer (they destroy woods by removing the “skin” off there antlers on small trees). Furthermore they often lay in wait for the fox to appear on his clearly marked trail. Now clearly rural foxs are harder to shoot than town foxs mainly because there is no chance of the town fox being shot at. Either way you are talking bol****s

SD-253
    Free Member

PS on walk I go on regularly near my home a woman I meet has 4 dogs with her, 3 German shepards and 1 cocker Spaniel. They are never on leads & they are never wearing COLLARS. The dogs always run at me snarling (only the German shepards). She is noramly able to call them back BUT imagine if I had children with me or my mother. She is the only dog owner that use the footpath and it is covered in dog crap. Last time her dogs ran at me I told her what I think of her. Now I believe in equal rights so you can imagine what I said to her? She has never ever talked to me so she maybe jsut a fruit cake? I think I know where she parks her car so next time I will get her number. By the way I am fairly certain this can be defined as blocking a public footpath? I now have to carry a weapon with me. Pity I cannot enjoy a walk without this stress?

SD-253
    Free Member

By the way a lot of the people killed by cattle are trying to catch there dog who is worrying the cattle eventualy the cattle turn on the dog and the owner gets “run over” by the cattle who have had enough of the dog……….good

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

SD-253

Are you in the UK? If so

Do not take weapon – you are then in the wrong.

You can report her to the council – a witness would be helpful. Dogs not under control and dog fouling. You local council amy bhave byelaws restricting dogs

You can report her to the police under dangerous dogs act – if the dog puts you in reasonable fear of harm

Its nothing to do with blocking a footpath

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

Most farmers would put a pair of dogs in (legaly I might add) and sit in wait for the fox to come out shooting it on the run

with a shot gun

GlitterGary
    Free Member

They’re missing a trick those farmers. They should use a Phased Plasma Rifle in a 40 watt range.

jam-bo

By the way a lot of the people killed by cattle are trying to catch there dog who is worrying the cattle eventualy the cattle turn on the dog and the owner gets “run over” by the cattle who have had enough of the dog……….good

I think you’ll find it tends to be the dog walkers who kept their dogs on a lead that get trampled.

But it’s nice that you’ll wish that on someone.

SD-253
    Free Member

Are you in the UK? If so

Do not take weapon – you are then in the wrong.

TandemJeremy – Member
    You can report her to the council – a witness would be helpful. Dogs not under control and dog fouling. You local council amy bhave byelaws restricting dogs

You can report her to the police under dangerous dogs act – if the dog puts you in reasonable fear of harm

Its nothing to do with blocking a footpath

You are making far to many asumption TandemJeremy I am perfectly entilted to take a stick with me. AND I am not in the wrong about blocking a footpath if a farmer did the same he would be guilty of blocking the footpath and you would agree with that (ohh am I making assumptions to?). AS she is woman I do not believe for one minute that the police would do anything about it. Recently I got some abuse from a woman I rang the police who said “she has not rung us” or put another way only a women can complain of abuse (she compalined the next day). The following day a policeman went to the farmer (whose land I was on) insisting that he tell him (the police officer) the name of the person who was involved in the incident (ie me). The officer I had complained to had not gone to see the woman (despite saying he would) nor had he loged the incident. Yet again this was dog incident albeit the dogs were behind a 8 foot fence (the type that builers use ie not safe). the same dogs had escaped and attacked the farmers fathers car (he was in it) the dogs were on the bonnet trying there best to get at the old man. By the way I would not dream of taking out either of my knives (mushroom and skinning) which I nearly always have with me. I wonder if you would think the same (no weapon) if your wife parents or children were at risk? Csll the police or council she will be well away never mind the fact she is a woman.

You local council amy bhave byelaws restricting dogs

I think you will find this is more likely to be a country wide ie a law, council do not inact laws parliment does

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 161 total)

The topic ‘Sheep free places to walk in lake district’ is closed to new replies.