Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Shedtrackworld advice please 12v or 220v?
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

Just looking at lights, radio/music (old car head unit) the odd power tool (presently mostly all mains) maybe a wee fridge.

Looks like I could use either but led lights are cheapest for 240v and I already have 12v adaptors for the radio.

It’s only 10m from the house, so running a mains lead is easy, best to keep it that way?

nickjb
    Free Member

Definitely go with mains

poly
    Free Member

I’m surprised you don’t have any possible need for 240V in the Shed, but if I were in that camp (or it was a once a year occurrence where running an extension would be trivial) then I’d go with 12V – 10m of armoured mains cable is going to be a lot more expensive for something you will never need. Done properly you are probably looking at separate fused circuits etc.

Beware 12V fridges draw a lot of current – what do you need to keep cool that can’t justify 40 paces to the house and back, or an ice box on the three warm days we get a year in Scotland? Heating would be potentially more useful – but that isn’t normally a 12V solution.

surfer
    Free Member

I have 50m of armored 6mm that I will run from my consumer unit once I can get around to digging the trench…. With a small consumer unit.

cynic-al
    Free Member

2 opposite replies 😀

Beer!

Not bothered about doing doing it proper.

maccruiskeen

maybe a wee fridge.

It’s only 10m from the house

Have a look at the running costs for little fridges – I think you’d rather walk the 20m round trip to the one in the kitchen

If you remove the fridge from the equation then you don’t need a constant day and night supply, just power when you’re in the shed when you’re ****ing, sorry, working.

You only need to use armoured cable if you’re burying it as a permanent supply. Unless you’re passing through a public area or have traffic or trip hazards to worry about then an extension cable and a breaker would be plenty good enough wouldn’t it? – Just put it away when you’re not using it.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Cheers, I agree. £30 a year vs buying or making s cool box.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Shedtrackworld advice please 12v or 220v?’ is closed to new replies.