Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Shedtrackworld advice
  • inbred853

Looking at getting a reasonable sized shed, 10×8 upwards, to replace my soon to be converted garage.
    Wood or plastic is the first question, opinions/advice wanted as to pros/cons of both types, leaning towards the plastic for maint free option at the mo.
    Two choices from my tinternet google skills so far.
    Wood
    Plastic

spooky_b329

Wood – cheaper, can screw shelves and bike racks inside, warmer, stronger, looks better. Needs treating/maintenance.

Plastic – doesn’t need treating, can’t see any other benefits? Ugly.

kristoff
    Free Member

Personally much prefer the wood, if you treat/paint it all on assembly then surely a lick of paint every couple of years isn’t too much bother.

footflaps

Plastic also fades badly, will warp and go brittle (as to how quickly this happens, it all depends on how much UV stabiliser is in it, which you can never tell till it’s too late).

andyl
    Free Member

Plastic is great in a hidden away area, under trees where it will get damp (and wood would rot) and covered in sap, bird poo etc (easy to clean off) and kept out of the sun a bit more than out in the open.

Otherwise bite the bullet and go wood, just looks so much nicer.

Oil it regularly and it will last. Prep the base properly and keep damp away from the base of the walls.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

andyl – What do you use to oil?.

jimw
    Free Member

It may be worth looking for a local supplier. When I had my shed built as a small workshop I used a local shed manufacturer who supplied it to my requirements which included double glazed windows, proper secure door etc. I then insulated it with Kingspan foil sided foam and chipboard. It is secure and warm in winter/cool in summer. I had it pressure treated with wood preserver, when that had dried out it had a coat of spirit based shed preserver and a year or so later I have painted on top of that with a flexible shed paint. The few hours each year this took has kept it in perfect condition, and as it is no longer orange ( wrong spirit based shed preserver!) my other half is very pleased with the way it blends in.

inbred853

Looks like wood is the defacto choice, looking at price I could get a decent wooden shed and base for the price of a plastic one.
    I like the cabin style one that I linked too before, anyone built or got that style?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Shedtrackworld advice’ is closed to new replies.