Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Sheds – precast concrete anygood?
  • Saccades
    Free Member

Looking to upgrade my garden shed – it’s a cheapy yardmaster steel thing that suffers from condensation and when the wind gets up; leaks something rotten.

I have a base that I could get blockwork built onto (8″ course concrete base, DPM, 6″ re-inforced base) but costs rule it out I think and I was looking to get an agricultrual grade outbuilding type shed until i was pointed in the direction of precast buildings.

What are the downsides apart from looking a bit 1960’s?

br
    Free Member

Ok, but make sure you damp-proof the base before adding the ‘shed’. And then consider the right materials inside too. Could still get condensation, depends on the position – ie sun/shade etc.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Why not wood ?

Saccades
    Free Member

Ideally I want something that will last – wood needs to be re-treated on a regular basis and isn’t as secure as a concrete structure.

I’d still get condensation?

Arse – no running electrics to it then.

CountZero

Get an old steel shipping container and clad and insulate it?

trail_rat
    Free Member

You fitting a concrete door ? I agree most of the ready to order sheds wont last. Fully expect my sheds still to outlast me.

Why not fit ip44 electrics alot of garages in the uk suffer from condensation and have electric

And if you insulate propper you wont get condensation

Block

Wood

Precast concrete

In that order of preferance

trail_rat
    Free Member

Count zero old shipping containers are not secure . They exude security but i have broken into them quite easily with minimal tools when some idiots sent the wrong keys offshore . Some may be better than others in that respect though

Saccades
    Free Member

I’d love to have blockbuilt, but it’s too expensive for even a simple structure.

The pre-cast concrete stuff I was looking at have gone out of business and the resurrected firm is on a par with custom(ish) steel stuff I was looking at anyway, but at 2-3x times the cost.

I couldn’t get a container in the garden without the neighbours killing me and the wife disowning me.

In your list of preference where would insulated steel sheds be Trailrat?

For nearly 4 grand I can get a insulated wooden or steel shed but I find it hard to look past the steel one for security.

trail_rat
    Free Member

4 grand – is that a shed or a garage sized structure your building ?

Insulated steel not bad but i fail to see why you think a mm or 2 of sheet steel is more secure than wood. Thin steel sheet can be pealed back quite easy once an initial holes been made , local kids cycling group had their bikes nicked like this , they just pealed back a corner

Both can be made more secure with chicken wire ran round the inside before insulating.

br
    Free Member

For nearly 4 grand I can get a insulated wooden or steel shed but I find it hard to look past the steel one for security.

Surely for £4k you could a brick built one, if you are prepared to labour.

Saccades
    Free Member

The concrete base is ~11’x13′ (I reckon) I’d like to use up as much of it as possible.

Hadn’t thought of the thinness of the steel – in fact, now I’m looking for them – there are no details on the security aspects of any of the steel sheds, most just mention in passing a 10 point locking door – which is a bad sign.

I’m prepared to labour – and I have to take 3 weeks holiday every year in august which I could do it in, I thought a block structure would be more like 15 grand or something,

tonyd

You could probably build it yourself couldn’t you? Do you need building regs etc for a brick/block shed? 3 weeks should be loads of time, what kind of roof are thinking? You might need some help with that.

Also consider the roof construction if security is a concern, I can’t imagine a cheap ply/felt flat roof would take too long to get into if the walls are too secure.

Saccades
    Free Member

I’m allowed to build up to 25 m2 at max 4m high with a pitch roof (which is what I’d ideally like) with no need for planning permission.

Actual building work – I’m totally unskilled at building work but not adverse to manual labour, so I’m not sure I should start to stack blocks on top of one another.

Ideally I want the roof higher on one side than on the other, so I can vertically stand bikes and roofbox, whilst still keeping a relatively low profile with a low pitch. This I will definitly need an expert for.

tonyd

I did a bit of labouring and site work in my yoof and to be honest it’s not that hard to lay a few blocks***. You might have to redo the first couple of courses once or twice but if you have time off you should be able to do the blockwork in a week easily.

Lots of info on t’internet – youtube vids on laying blocks even. I was looking this up just last week as the house we wanted to buy (missed out) was ripe for a large man cave at the bottom of the garden which I’d have built myself. You won’t need planning permission but you might need building regs sign off – I didn’t quite get that far whilst researching 🙂

*** It is of course very hard to do it quickly and well enough that you can charge someone for it!

tymbian
    Free Member

I personally wouldnt use blocks or concrete if I had a choice. The environmental shadow of cement is 1:1. There fore 1 25kg bag cement = 25kg carbon emissions. No point in having a bike.

Use wood. Its renewable and possible to build strong enough to give a would be thief a hard time. I’ve built partition walls deviding shops with a security mesh in the partition. I’ve built security ceilings in missile development labs, 18mm ply, security mesh, ply, mesh, ply,mesh,ply then plasterboard. Anything’s possible. If you wanna go down the wood route I can give you some pointers. Use security screws…do up don’t undo..etc.

Have fun.

br
    Free Member

Build a base and add DPM.

Get Brickie in and labour, buying doors and windows + frames beforehand so you build-to-fit.

Buy trusses and fit.

Roof – felt etc.

Fit out inside.

I personally wouldnt use blocks or concrete if I had a choice. The environmental shadow of cement is 1:1. There fore 1 25kg bag cement = 25kg carbon emissions. No point in having a bike.

I reckon that’s quite low compared to most things bought, wonder what your bike works out at?

freeagent
    Free Member

I’m in the process of building a 13’6 x 11′ gooden building from blocks – so can give you an idea of prices –

I had to lay a concrete base – I dug out the hole and built the shuttering – batch mix concrete was £377.

I’ve worked out I need 340 100mm concrete blocks @92p each = 340
    maxi bag of building sand – £38
    12 bags of cement – £42
    friend who is a brickie to lay the blocks – £450 (other more expensive builders are available)
    timber for roof joists £120
    double glazed unit (reclaimed – ebay) £60
    steel security door – ebay £220
    steel roofing – accord steel cladding – £625
    insulation – removed from my loft as having a loft conversion
    11mm stirling board to line roof+walls – 24 sheets @12.50
    cable/consumer unit/electrical fittings/lights £200

Note – quantities above need to be confirmed – before anyone starts telling me i’m doomed

There are a few things i’ve not listed but basically i’m hoping to do it for about £3k – that is with me doing most of it (except the blockwork)

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Sheds – precast concrete anygood?’ is closed to new replies.