Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Sheds, build your own or buy it?
  • JCornford

Hi

I was just chatting to a mate about doing up my new house and that the garden was the next project, new shed and fence etc etc and he suggested building my own shed rather than buying one, anyone built their own one from scratch before?

coffeeking
    Free Member

Nope, but looking at the prices of sheds I can't see any reason for not building it yourself if you can.

soobalias
    Free Member

you get what you pay for.

Marmoset
    Free Member

I looked at this a few years ago and came to the conclusion it was cheaper to buy a good shed when on offer and then reinforce the frame and door locks etc. The timber required to build one wouldn't be much less than the shed and the time involved would also increase somewhat.

Having said that, I wouldn't call you a nutter for bu8ilding your own, you could get all those quliaty bloke features in that standard shed is missing (minibar, jacuzzi, big tv)

wrightyson
    Free Member

By the time you've built it and payed for the timber it will be cheaper to buy one. I bought a good quality one from a shed company, but put it up myself! That way I made sure it was put together properly and only used galvs on the bottom layer of felt. At the ridge lap over the two and a good tew tubes of clear silicone to seal. This stops the water penetrating around the tacks and rotting the roof, which with softwood happens surprisingly quick!

lazlo53
    Free Member

Sorry, I disagree with you, 25yrs ago, when we bought our present house, we had very little money and a brand new family. I bought, at salvage rates, the first floor of a soon to be demolished house. I had to cut it out and transport it but ended up making an 8 by 6 shed that's still rock solid (not many 30mm Tongue and groove shop bought ones around) And I still look at it with a sense of accomplishment

gazc
    Free Member

i've built 2 sheds from scratch, one mostly from recycled/salvaged wood and one with new wood. if you're reasonably up for a challenge, handy with a saw/hammer/drill and fancy giving it a go then go for it, we had little experience doing anything like it before but enjoyed it and now we have 2 solid sheds that fit the limited space we have for them perfectly 🙂

Talkemada
    Free Member

Look! There's an ad for sheds! > 😯

They're watching us!

Hmm, let's try something..

*Ladies' Bottoms*.

😐

coffeeking
    Free Member

IF you buy your wood from B&Q sure it'll be more expensive. Get it from a sawmill/timber merchant and you'll get it a lot more competitively priced, and can spec it yourself.

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

Used pallets are your new best friend…

tinribz
    Free Member

Instead of buying one just hammer 4 fence panels together, that's about the quality of the B&Q stuff.

Went to a wood yard 4 mine (well tell the truth my father ordered twice what he needed for his 🙂 It's a lot easier than you think, just a 2×4 frame screwed together. Cost in a cheap circular saw and it's a weekend job.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I wanted one which would fit into a 9'x 7' space, so I phoned the local 'shed shop' who quoted £500+! Got one from a timber yard in Middlesborough for £275, it came in 5 bits & I had to transport it myself though.
    I love my shed me.

monkeychild
    Free Member

Tiger sheds are ok for the cash.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Sheds, build your own or buy it?’ is closed to new replies.