Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Shed/Lean to building. At what point does a structure require permission
  • nixie

We are looking at buying a house without a garage or suitable outdoor storage so if we get it I’d be looking to add some. The house has a large driver down the side of the building (which itself is quite deep) which is gated from the front. I’m thinking that it would be nice to add a carport down the side, with a substantial shed at the back of this (built with a combined roof attached to the house). The shed would cover the back door of the house and would be about half the size of a normal garage. It would be timber framed, probably with osb walls and then some type of cladding over it. Would also insulate and have door access to at least the rear and probably front as well (into carport area). This would end up with a quite substantial and hopefully long lasting shed so I’m a bit worried it could be considered an extension. What all the rules as far as this is concerned. Would this still be a temporary structure (and therefore not require permission?

ajc
    Free Member

Check the government planning portal. I think sheds and outbuildings need to be a minimum distance from the main dwelling. What you are describing sounds like an extension that will also be required to meet building control.

nixie

Some good info on there thanks. Looks like I’d fall foul of the being attached to the house rule. Carport on its own would be ok I think. hmmm

nedrapier

Could you extend the carport past the end of the house, and site the shed so the end with the door is just undercover of the carport roof? Not actually connected, but dry access from the house? Assuming you’ve got an outside door on the wall with the carport.

nixie

Yeap could do that I think. I’m not actually so worried about dry access, the idea was more so I only had one thing to build not 2 and so I could use the outer wall of the house as one wall of the shed.

Been looking at Expandakabins (or the cheaper storage version) in the last hour which could site nicely in the way you describe.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Shed/Lean to building. At what point does a structure require permission’ is closed to new replies.