Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)
  • Shedding fat – diet
  • Rupert
    Free Member

Anyone got any suggestions for diets that are pretty good at shifting stubborn fat.

Been doing well for the past 6-8months by limiting my starchy cards (maybe just one portion each of spuds, wholeweat pasta and rice per week. Ok, maybe wholeweat pasta a little more often; but eating mostly cerials, lean meat and fish and veg.

While I have seen results, they have been slow. But more to the point, 8 weeks off training due to injury has sent me back a few steps.

Any pointers (my life style means following a plan can be accommodated quite easily) or recomendations for what has worked for others, much apreciated…..

Jamie
    Free Member

Psychle and iDave to the thread(s) please.

joolsburger
    Free Member

I’ve lost 2 stone in two months.

I have been counting calories and eating no more than 1000 per day. It works for me. Oh and no white carbs or not many anyway.

ourmaninthenorth

Rupert – try to keep a constant weight while you’re not exercising. This means maintaining what you’re doing, or possibly cutting back a little more.

Focus on recovering from youtr injury and easing yoursel;f back into exercise.

(I’ve started my diet this week – usual calorie counting stuff. Not exciting, and wiped me out for today’s commute, but it ought to do the trick.)

damo2576
    Free Member

no carbs in the evening

Jamie
    Free Member

I have been counting calories and eating no more than 1000 per day. It works for me. Oh and no white carbs or not many anyway.

Not to start a argument, but I can never see how that is possible (even though evidently it is). From my own point of view even hovering around 1500 makes me feel like crap, lethargic and devoid of any energy. I am prepared to admit everyone is different….but it just seems so harsh.

bazzer
    Free Member

have been counting calories and eating no more than 1000 per day

How heavy are you to start with ? Do you feel OK on 1000 calories a day ? Are you doing much riding/exercise too ?

Bazzer

psychle
    Free Member

I’ve dropped almost 7kg’s in 3 weeks, mostly by seriously boosting my previously lax exercise ‘regime’ (have gone from going to the gym maybe twice a week max to now going at least every day and most often twice a day, around 1-1.5hrs at a time with an emphasise on all activity been within the ‘Fat Burning Zone’ using a HR monitor).

Have also been sticking to a fairly controlled diet with a real eye on keeping calories in below 2k a day plus no big meal at night… been eating lot’s of raw fresh veg & fruit, smoked salmon, chicken breast, egg white omelettes, all in moderate servings with the main meal being lunch. No real plan as such, just exercise a lot more and eat less, getting used to feeling a little hungry and stopping eating when I feel full, all seems to be working well for me.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

eat less move more is the only answer

oddjob
    Free Member

Oh good, it’s this thread again…

Zedsdead
    Free Member

eat less move more is the only answer

Or get the delhi belly like I had last week…..

PaulGillespie
    Free Member

I’ve lost nearly 2 stone in 6-8 months just by calorie counting. been eating an average of about 2000 per day, a bit more on excersise days. It has been fairly easy so far, the hard bit is resisting the temptation to eat anything I want!

It’s expensive though, i’ve had to buy all new clothes!!! 🙂

woody2000

1000 cals a day is a starvation diet, and would be harmful in the long run. 500 cals less food, 500 cals more exercise per day = 2lbs loss per week and is sustainable.

batman11
    Free Member

Hay rupert well done on any weight loss achived, ive been following my own form of atkins/lowcarb diet since may now and lost 4.5stone. Having got there am finding it very hard to find good wholesome carbs etc to replace them with but whole oats brown rice, zero white anything and look up low GL stuff like sweet potatoes instead off normal ones etc they release there carbs slower and you don’t get a spike in blood suger etc. Also worth thinking about making sure you eat protein with every meal this will fill you up for longer due to slower digestion. Protein smoothies are good nut butters or nuts for snacks (low/no salt). My own smoothie recipy is.

2/3x tablespoon(30grams) of oats soaked in boiling water for about 10/15 mins.
    milks normal, soya and almound milk on there own or paired(your cup beaker full)
    1x skoop of whey protein flavour of choice.
    1x heaped teaspoon nut butters normal almound hazlenut etc.
    100 plus grams blueberrys/strawberry or what ever (good antioxidents)
    quarter lemon squeesed in.
    And blend till smooth. Im using a magic bullet with it’s own cups perfect start to the day, only takes about 5mins after oats are soaked and keeps me going most of the morning and at least a 3 hour ride (moderate pace). Also if you put in half a lemon squeesed in, it will help keep the berrys fresh for around an hour or so, so you could commute to work whick i do.
    Also i know a great lower GL flapjack recipy if anyone is interested?
    Anyway good luck with it all mate.

Bats.

Bagstard
    Free Member

Unless you have loads to lose 2lb per week is too much. Losing fat is a slow process and trying to do so quickly only results in a loss of muscle mass and a slower metabolism. You should not be going hungry, the slower you make your metabolism (by starving)the less efficient your body becomes at burning fat.

There is no quick fix, aim for a pound a week max.

uplink
    Free Member

Orlistat

you’ll s**t out a big portion of your fat intake before it’s even absorbed into your moobs 🙂

it’s a win/win 😆

Rupert
    Free Member

Some good tips there; Batman thanks for the recipe.

Unfortuntly for some its not as simple as less in + more out.

That makes it sound like I’m some BigMac monster, I’m not; but its certainly not easy getting back into shape after a few years of hard working, eating and drinking!

miketually
    Free Member

Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants. (http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/28/magazine/28nutritionism.t.html?_r=1)

– Food = real food. Something your great grandmother would have recognised (or her French/Italian/whatever counterpart).

– If it has more than five ingredients when you buy it, it’s not food.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

I switched from drinking the big bottles of Leffe (750cl) to the little ones (330cl). This didn’t reduce the quantity of beer drunk but did mean I walked to the fridge more often.

MentalMickey
    Free Member

1000 calories a day? Talk about ‘Manorexic’. 😆

singletrackmatt

I’ve mostly used the cigarette coffee/meal replacment diet ; ]- works a treat – and 4 months on the wagon helped ;^O

Rupert
    Free Member

Adam, it took a change of jobs for me to nail the Marlboro and Costa’s on the head. Can’t afford to go back now!

miketually
    Free Member

Unfortuntly for some its not as simple as less in + more out.

That formula always works. If you eat 1800 calories and burn off 2000 calories, your body has to use 200 calories from its reserves (which are generally stored in the arse, belly or moobs).

jonb
    Free Member

Picolax with every meal.

ourmaninthenorth

That formula always works. If you eat 1800 calories and burn off 2000 calories

On today’s consumption and exercise calculation, I’m currently -153 kcal.

Rupert
    Free Member

Mike I can do the math, I know it works. For some its a piece of cake (no punn intended) and for others its particulary difficult.

TBF what I’ve found is that dropping body weight is (quite) easy, and with dedication really is just a question of maths. That however, does not make one lean; dropping BF (I dont mind dropping some muscle, as I have a bit spare too)has been nigh on impossible; and now I’m very slowly getting back into training after (still treating) injury I want to try and change the diet fat burning gear somewhat.

oddjob
    Free Member

Has anyone on here tried the Orlistat (Alli) diet pills?

I’d be intrigued to know if they work. They seem quite expensive, but if thay actually work, I would have expected to hear much more about them.

uplink
    Free Member

I’d be intrigued to know if they work

They work by passing out up to 30% of the fat you eat, if you don’t eat the fat in the first place nothing will happen
    They don’t make you lose weight

leffeboy

How do you calorie counters actually manage counting the calories? Do you just keep a running total in your head or do you do something more structured?

ourmaninthenorth

A rather unpleasant side effect of Alii pills seems to be the unwanted leakage of greasy brown poop. First time users are advised to try at home, and wear dark clothes to work, taking along spare underwear.

If that’s not an incentive to avoid lard, I don’t know what is..!

Rupert/b] – agreed that losing the final flab is hard, especially as it will be “hard” adult fat. Consider it as a long term goal – (1) eat less (2) exercise (you’re starting to do this again) (3) keep both of these up.

FWIW i don’t subscribe to the fat burning zones for exercise. I don’t measure my riding by mileage as such. Rather, I look at it as number of hours of exercise per week and the intensity of that exercise.

ourmaninthenorth

How do you calorie counters actually manage counting the calories? Do you just keep a running total in your head or do you do something more structured?

Doing a 5 day trial at nutracheck.co.uk, which is free. I’ll probably subscribe for three months (I need to shed 1.5 stones) at a cost of £5 pm. Then I’ll cancel it and use all the info I’ve gleaned to remind myself to be sensible and keep my hand out of the cookie jar.

joolsburger
    Free Member

I really do a 1000 per day although it was around 1500 on Sunday as we had people over for dinner. It is harsh but I have lots to lose another 2 stone at least. I fully expect to slow down to about a stone every six weeks but my taget is to do it by Christmas.

It largely depends on what you eat obviously. I eat nowt but fruit during the day and snack on rasins or dried fruit, tea with sugar but no milk which is how I like it anyway and that keeps off any hunger pangs. I feel good to be honest. Sleeping much better, digestion is 100 times better and noticed a general boost in my mood too. I exercise everyday at lunch and do around 30 mins of hard CV work and then around 20 mins of mixed free weights and machines + what ever rides I do normally around 5-8 hours a week.
    I’m carrying around what, 80,000 spare colories? I’m not going to starve!!

Calorie counting is easy it’s all written down on the packets or on google.

The real bastard was giving up smoking at the same time. Champix rules.

Rupert
    Free Member

There are online facilities such as on the Livestrong website, whenever I have done it I just use a notebook.

Have not really found it work that well for me. I’d rather use or follow a laid-out meal plan.

But we are all different, what works for one may not the other.

miketually
    Free Member

Mike I can do the math, I know it works. For some its a piece of cake (no punn intended) and for others its particulary difficult.

I fully accept that some people find it harder to lose weight than others, and some people are more prone to putting on weight.

But it is always a matter of calories in vs calories out. If someone’s still putting on non-lean weight when they’re burning more calories than they’re eating, they’re either under counting the calories that they’re eating or over counting the calories that they expend. (Or they’re retaining water or something.)

Ye canna change the laws of physics.

Jamie
    Free Member

That makes it sound like I’m some BigMac monster, I’m not; but its certainly not easy getting back into shape after a few years of hard working, eating and drinking!

Never is mate. Just got to knuckle down otherwise you will constantly fall at the first hurdle.

ourmaninthenorth

Just eaten a cereal bar.

Still minus 31 kcal for the day so far. Think the commute home’s gonna be sloooow.

miketually
    Free Member

I’ve had no chocolate, cake or chips at work all week (the perils of working in a sixth form college). No alcohol (at home) either apart from a small glass of red wine the other night.

I am now ripped and seriously worried about my trousers falling down 😉

miketually
    Free Member

And hungry.

BIGMAN
    Free Member

Clenbeutarol is where its at!!!

strip body fat while improving anaerobic performance!!

RESULT!

Rupert
    Free Member

Jools that sounds servere, but if its working for you well done on dropping the weight; I might give it a try for the last bit!

My only concern with that type of dieting (I know its done to get to a goal and then you will stabalise) is the nutritional factor, in doing that are you starving your body of vital nutrients?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Shedding fat – diet’ is closed to new replies.