Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Shed window advice
  • andybrad

So i started building our shed at the weekend. Considering i have no real DIY skills or power tools (got a drill) it started ok.

So im now at the stage where im putting the walls / windows in. Id like to get as much light in there as possible but im a little worried that its going to make it all too easy for people to break in.

So any suggestions as to what to do window wise? Or do i just pop some basic ones in and stop worrying about it?

hammyuk
    Free Member

Ebay – nearest, cheapest, internally glazed double glazing unit you can find 😉

freeagent
    Free Member

cheap double glazed unit from Ebay- I paid about £50 for a smallish unit which was brand-new (ex showroom model – I picked it up from their works) it came with a key + fitting hardware (some random brackets that I didn’t use)

I bolted a couple of those punched metal bars you can buy from Screwfix (builders use them) inside the window as ‘security’ bars.
    It isn’t perfect – but it’ll do.

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

get some wire mesh and nail/screw it onto the inside over the window. Also buy some film to make the windows opaque, so nobody can see in.

footflaps

Bullet proof glass is what you want 😉

Markie
    Free Member

I used polycarbonate sheeting for my roof. Thus far, it’s ace – heaps of light and heaps of wall space as there’s no need for windows!

I used opaque ones. You could put a galvanised rebar grill underneath it for security underneath them if you wanted?

If you want pics just say – I’m thrilled with it!

andybrad

yea that was my first thought but the only ones that seem to be affordable are white upvc or knackered or to far away

teenrat

I recently made a new window for the shed using 3×3 and 2×2 which had 1″ routed off it. I then glued and screwed it and fixed it in place with expanding foam. It doesn’t open but its a good solid window and didnt cost much at all. For security, i have a steel gate bolted to the inside wall behind the window and two of those blinds in a box from wilkos.

granny_ring

Where can you get that wire mesh mentioned?

wrightyson
    Free Member

Georgian wire glass. Screw the beads internally and make them hefty. Or a piece of 6mm laminated glass, you have to literally hack your way through it.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Shed window advice’ is closed to new replies.