• This topic has 62 replies, 27 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by br.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)
  • shed wars
  • jam-bo

i need a shed.

I have a relatively flat plot at the top end of the garden ~6mx4m, curently grass and scrub.

it has to house bikes, lawnmowers, tools, workshop etc. I’ll be running power up there but heat/water isnt necessary.

I live somewhere nice and have good insurance so it doesnt need to be Fort Knox.

I have £1000 to spend.

show me sheds….

bigphilblackpool
    Free Member

Get one made to your liking by a joiner/carpenter, solid concrete base first then find a chippy, with that sort of cash!!!! I made my own mancave using concrete fence posts and the concrete plinths up to the top, sealed up then insulated inside with a upvc clad on the inside, basic timber felted pitch roof and a nice solid timber door, bit overkill but my livelyhood (tools) live in there.

piemonster

For the love of Shed don’t go to B&Q, awful sheds. Even there ‘show’ sheds are knackered.

Like bigphil says, get a chippy in and take pride in your sanctuary

blurty

For a 6 x 4 shed, the base will cost £1000 alone I’m afraid

falkirk-mark

I got one built with no windows and a flat (pent) roof to maximise height (to hang bikes). It is basically 8 foot x 10 foot box

footflaps

6m x 4m is just a bit shy of mine (8m x 4m).

Here’s where I’m at so far:

Half a day’s work by brf, on Flickr

A good base would be £2k+ in concrete, or you could lay slabs on sand yourself, but it still cost a few hundred in materials. For reference, my base cost me £4k, but I went down the full Building Control route, so 90cm footings and 15cm slab on hardcore.

Brickie starts Tuesday…

jam-bo

For a 6 x 4 shed, the base will cost £1000 alone I’m afraid

i’m building a shed, not a bunker.

anyone used ecobase?

bigphilblackpool
    Free Member

Or scour the loot for free bricks or hardcore, hire a whacker and just have a crush and run as a base, better than just grass, dig out first obv, and jesus how much u lot pay for redimix!!!! Iv just finished filling a pit that took 12cube n.it cost me 400!!!!! Wowzas!!!! I do have a good rappor with the local cement/grabber/stone merch though, tbh the best way is a custom jobbie, the shite prebuilt ones aint worth a ****.

Jamie
    Free Member

Brickie starts Tuesday…

That ain’t no shed.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Are you at all handy with a saw and a hammer ?

Look online for plans

Find a local saw mill.

Youll be surprised what you can build.

1k for someone else to do it wont get you much , i was lookng at that for an 8x 10 foot shed pre built to assemble on site for something that wouldnt fall down if i farted inside.

I built it with wood twice as thick and strong and better treated for 300, but i had borrowed a chop saw , table saw and 2 a pair of nail guns – took 2 days to finish up with a single pitch timber roof.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Footflaps , your base is stupid though , your building control guy is off his head.

jam-bo

6m x 4m is just a bit shy of mine (8m x 4m).

doesnt have to be the full plot. i reckon 12x10ft would be enough.

Are you at all handy with a saw and a hammer ?

handy enough but with a year old son, time is precious…

footflaps

Footflaps , your base is stupid though , your building control guy is off his head.

I don’t disagree, but it will be standing for a good few generations…

patriotpro
    Free Member

Someone is obviously bored.

rOcKeTdOg

I made my own mancave using concrete fence posts and the concrete plinths up to the top,

did you need planning permission for that? sounds permanent

bigphilblackpool
    Free Member

Could do what i did, the concrete plinth/post route cost me all in 500ish, but i did it myself and my labourer had a couple o “sick” days : ) but i have my own sthil saw, posthole bore etc but if you have good mates that could lend u theirs or u ask a favour n supply sausage butties n brews n a crate at the end of the job im sure theyd help, as i have done so in the past for my pals, mates rates n all that, now i have cheaper insurance and a free gym membership for my help on their houses for free. Flavour for a flavour!!!!

samuri
    Free Member

I’m interested in this too. We’re looking to move house and all the best ones have plenty of room but no garage so I assumed I could build a garage sized timber shed. I was assuming concrete floor, concrete fence posts set in concrete for the supports, timber walls insulated on the inside. A grand or two would be fine as a budget but I didn’t realise how much a concrete base would be.

Is that just cost of concrete or the full cost of laying? I was assuming I could do all the grunt work myself, digging the hole and putting the edges on and then just buy some wet concrete to fill it in, is it not that simple?

samuri
    Free Member

Or no base at all. This chap seems to have built a great wooden shed.

http://www.shedblog.co.uk/sf-forum/shedbuild/studio-shed-build-blog/

Our favourite house (that we’d struggle to afford), has a large paved area with a summer house on it. I could pull that down and built just a wooden shed on top of that.

bigphilblackpool
    Free Member

Shop around or ask builder mates to order it for u, as average joe bloggs ringing a concrete place instantly pays top whack, its hard!!! U have half an hour from when the mixer arrives to when it leaves, in that time u must make sure its in situ ie in all nooks and crannies, then try to level as much as poss, there is a minimum order for the mixers, and its done per cubic metre, then needs to be tamped and allowed to “go off” before polising with a power float or easy float, the last pit i did in large terms was at a large bodyshop darn sarf, i had to hire a 3tonne dumper just to unload the mix into quick enough as the mixer couldent get into the bodyshop, however you can get it “piped” in but be prepared for a wallett busting increase, save money and hire/borrow a good mixer and get some help, a good strong 3-1 mix with small chippings and a day of sweat.

wrightyson
    Free Member

I need to come build you lot some sheds! A grand for a shed base! I’d be pulling up in a range rover with my shovel in the back at those rates!!

Simon

I put up a used sectional concrete garage in my garden as a shed.
    Did the 6″ x 9′ x 16′ deep concrete base myself, cost around £270 IIRC.
    Used a broken up patio and as hardcore under the concrete.

bigphilblackpool
    Free Member

Above poster on the same planet as me lmfao, we should join up n charge em 1k lol : ) some people definatley get their arses felt for building work unfortunatley.

samuri
    Free Member

I don’t mind doing a load of hard work, quite happy in fact.

tinsy
    Free Member

6×4 meters is pretty big, a concrete base would be best, even if your not expecting pyramid type lifespan.

I built one with a similar ground area to that, do you really want one that big that still looks shed like?

I didn’t, mine cost 3k all in with me doing the base, 2.4m x 8.2m.

Could have shaved about £800 off that, but as te 8.2 side faces the house I used 2 double glazed windows & french doors, better security & looks, instead of usual rubbish shed ones.

Euro
    Free Member

A local shed builder/saw mill should see you right and means you can spec it to suit your needs.

I’ve a 10×12′ wooden shed and it’s plenty big enough. Double doors and reinforced floor (had a motorbike when I ordered it) with a couple of windows came to about £700 tens years ago. A quick look about and it seems the prices aren’t too far off that now. It now houses 6 bikes, all bike/garden stuff, work bench, tumble dryer, washing machine, boiler, fridge freezer and much assorted junk. When tidy there’s enough room to move about and do man-stuff.

footflaps

did you need planning permission for that? sounds permanent

Probably not, I didn’t for my 8m x 4m x 4m tall workshop, although I went down the Planning route just to cover myself in case of any hassle down the line. The cost was negligible in the whole scheme.

Above poster on the same planet as me lmfao, we should join up n charge em 1k lol : ) some people definatley get their arses felt for building work unfortunatley.

Interestingly, buying all the stuff myself and DIYing a fair bit, plus project managing tradespeople, the whole thing is coming in at well under half the quotes I had from local builders, so God knows what their mark ups are….

tinsy
    Free Member

Theres quite a lot of rules regarding sheds, some of them nearly every shed in the land does not conform too.

Supposed to be 1m from the boudary for a start, nearly every shed i know is within about 1ft of the boundary!!

packer
    Free Member

For reference, my base cost me £4k

😯

trail_rat
    Free Member

[img]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-UkVYzv6JFyY/TGjpvRzfpZI/AAAAAAAAGmc/ZzLK-U0MwMA/s576/CIMG0364.JPG[/img]

bigphilblackpool
    Free Member

It depends on local planning/building regs but for me any structure can be built away from property for storage, i demolished my old timber shed and in its place the “bunker” went up but as its bin painted and has a felt roof neighbours think its timber, but my neighbours are fantastic as i do all their building work for next to nowt, its true some builders have to make a living but some take the piss i learned lots of jobs at reasonable prices and repeat custom is paramount, not feel your arse huge jobs make 5k profit then scarper, i know a plasterer that charges per day and hes very very good on the other hand theres a wanna be plasterer fresh from these 4day courses charging twice what my time served qualified approved contractor is charging, the best way is to get as many quotes as possible, use your friends builders who have done work for them and you can see what theyve paid for dont just ring up ads in papers use reccomended lads and that way u cnt go wrong, or do what you feel comfy with then when ur stuck ring said tradesman as the bulk of the work is allways in the prep : )

footflaps

For reference, my base cost me £4k

Packer, it’s basically a house foundation…

Pumping concrete 60m by brf, on Flickr

bigphilblackpool
    Free Member

Jesus thats the best shed base iv sin n i thought mine was overkill !!!!! At least youve done it right pal!!

weeksy

Why though ? unless you’re going to put a house on it ?

packer
    Free Member

Wow. I guess that is what you call a “shed for life” !

m1kea
    Free Member

I did this at the beginning of the year and I have to say £1K isn’t going to go anywhere.

I had a mate who does this sort of thing clear my old plot and hand lay a new 5 X 4m concrete base.

Material and a week of his time was approx £900.
    £300 on two skips – you’ll be amazed as to how much 5hite you can end up shifting and waste disposal is bludy expensive now.

I got a custom 4.8 X 3.6m shed from Passmores who were excellent and 1/2 the price of the cheapest local firm (£2.1K). Definitely recommend them, if for no other reason than two blokes erected this beasty in under 3 hours in the rain.

I have spent another £2K or so on further landscaping and what seemed like 5 sq miles of MDF and celotex insulation boards for the shed interior.

I did consider DIY the full build but if you’re anything like me, you’ll need to quadruple any time estimate you may have come up with.

This reminds me, I really must sort out my build snaps

mos

The diy piles that the guy on the shed blog thing were cool, that has set my inner shonkmeister thinking about my shed proj.

footflaps

Why though ? unless you’re going to put a house on it ?

I went down the Building Control route and that was what was required. It’s a brick built building with dual pitched roof – basically no different to a bungalow in construction.

footflaps

£300 on two skips – you’ll be amazed as to how much 5hite you can end up shifting and waste disposal is bludy expensive now.

Yep, tell me about it – I filled four 8 yard skips to the brim (and beyond) clearing out the plot – spent £600 on skips alone…

weeksy

What’s it’s end purpose fella ?

To be a ‘shed’ or more than a shed ?

m1kea
    Free Member

footflaps

Yep, tell me about it – I filled four 8 yard skips to the brim (and beyond) clearing out the plot – spent £600 on skips alone…

Lol Yeah I thought I could clear a load of crap out of the loft when the first one arrived. Fat chance.

Oh and don’t under estimate the amount of physical effort this sort of thing needs.

We have a 50m run downhill to the bottom of the garden and had to barrow EVERYTHING to and fro. Pushing rubbish and soil up to those skips was ‘fun’ but not nearly as much hand barrowing 6 tonnes of gabion stone to build a retaining wall 🙁

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘shed wars’ is closed to new replies.