Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Shed Security – ground anchors, etc
  • honourablegeorge

Anyone got some recommendations? Finally signed contracts on a new house (with new, MASSIVE shed) and would liek to properly secure the bikes.

Tempted by these:

Pragmasis Security Products | Fresh Produce

proutster
    Free Member

I’m using their 13mm chain in the shed and an 11mm one that I use when the bikes are on the rack on the car. The Squire locks (SS50CS) are pretty good too, got those all over the place.

The chain, lock and and their shed-shackle prevented some scummers getting away with my Summum DH bike after they’d peeled off the shed roof at the last house.

Have just ordered a new shed-shackle and their heavy-duty hasps for the (yet to arrive) log cabin at the new house.

No hesitation in recommending them.

barffy
    Free Member

Insurance is your best form of security. If they want it they will have it, but that doesn’t mean you should make it easy for them. I use an oxford motorcycle ground anchor and a really heavy motorcycle chain and lock set wrapped as awkwardly and tightly around both bikes as I can get it. Ground anchors are only as good as the thing they are attached to. If you attach it poorly to flimsy timber it’s going to get prised off. Concrete is best if possible.

Don’t overlook your entrance locks though, it’s better to stop them getting into the shed in the first place. A lot of people have a tiny little padlock that’s easily prised off the paper thin piece of timber it’s attached to. Id be using a heavy duty hasp and staple fitted with coach bolts attached to some beefy timber if i had a shed (I have a concrete garage). It’s also worth not advertising the fact you have a few k sitting in the shed so get the OH to knock up some net curtain for any windows. I’m also quite paranoid about who is around when I open the garage door. I won’t leave it wide open for 15 minutes whilst I get ready letting everyone see what I have. I’ve also been known to cycle past my house if the local yobo’s are loitering and go around the block until they have gone. I have lot’s of really nice nickable stuff in my cave. 3 decent bikes, two decent motorcycle’s vintage 3 mopeds plus all my tools. I want to keep them safe.

HAVE LOT’S OF INSURANCE!

thegreatape
    Free Member

I too have just bought a shed shackle, 5m 11mm chain and whatever their top padlock is from Pragmasis. Seems pretty good stuff – not a lot to compare it too so I’m no expert – but the guy himself was excellent to deal with, both by phone and email. Definitely recommended.

honourablegeorge

New shed is a proper, block-build garage with concrete floor and big lockable door, so should be good.

almightydutch
    Free Member

Almax Series 3/4 with Squire/Cisa lock – Depends how deep your pockets are. Paired with a 4 bolt double bridged ground anchor should be sufficient

At least you’ll hear the bastards before they do much damage

mactheknife

Maplin have some decent passive movement sensor alarms. My bikes are both secured to a ground anchor and the only other security i could manage was 2 of these alarms in different places in the garage. They make a hell of a racket.

TiRed

The best defense for us was a door into the house. When we had seven bikes stolen from the garage, they were all covered for burglary (not theft) because the internal door makes the garage a room in the house.

There is no such thing as properly secure. I’d invest in a decent alarm system linked to the house as a start, then, since your “shed” is external (there will be a maximum limit on outbuildings), a decent floor mounted anchor with bikes locked off the floor.

Then check your insurance for maximum cover for outbuildings. Our cover would not have met the loss.

funkrodent

I’ve got my FS in the shed. I bought two old, steel and extremely heavy bikes off of that there Gumtree for a few pennies. They are securely D-locked either side of the FS with two D-Locks. So should Mr A.N.Other scrote get access into the shed (past the flimsy door which has – annoyingly for said scrote – two noisy wheelie bins chained through the padlock), he/she/it will have to either cut through two D-locks in an annoyingly dark and inaccessible place (angle grinder or carjack required), or manually widen the shed door prior to manually lifting out about 50 kilos worth of bikes and having it off on their toes down the alley. All this of course whilst the dog is going mental in the kitchen and I’m belabouring him/her/it around the head with my Maglight, having first shone it into their eyes in order to blind them.

Nothing’s foolproof mind, but given that the average thief is after an easy touch, the more difficult you can make it the better.

And when all is said and done a large canine with a good bark is probaly the best insurance you can get

sweaman2
    Free Member

I use the Kryptonite one along with a couple of New York chains.

concretej
    Free Member

At a previous address 15 yrs ago I had a 6×4 wooden shed in a side access property. I screwed corrugated iron to the inside walls and used it to make another internal door. on one occasion the local tealeaf got fed up when they saw the metal underneath after prising off a flimsy panel and thankfully I disturbed them when they attempted to chew through one of several hasp locks on the internal door.

If they had got in, the bike was daisy chained with d-locks to the concrete fence post in the outside garden.

Now in a mid terrace property,i really should think about security as neighbours on the opposite gardens are always changing and you never know who’s moving in.

Note- the metal sheeting was luckily found on a waste site so it could be pricey getting them new.

dudeofdoom

Don’t forget it’s not unknown for people to go through the roof to get in/out….

peepingtom
    Free Member

Alarm , no alarm means they’ve got hours to play with ! , ALARM IT !
    , ive used one of these for almost 20 years
    http://www.responseelectronics.com/burglar-alarms-c8/wireless-alarms-c23/sa1-e-wireless-alarm-system-433mhz-p42

SA1 E model , handy if there’s no elec in the shed and the range is real good .

philfive
    Free Member

This is mine, padlocked caged, 3 locking points inside with a huge chain and ground ancor.

Nice alarm that goes off in the house too 🙂 all custom built.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Unbelievable. Hora hasn’t been on insisting that anyone who keeps bikes out with the marital bed is a retard. 😀

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Almax series IV and blank shot gun cartridge alarm, just don’t set it off yourself by mistake……

I_Ache
    Free Member

I have a cage too. I had it made after my shed was broken into and my bikes were ignored then my chainsaw was taken. To get to my bike a theif has to get through 6 locks not impossible but a real pain in the arse.

Bike cage

Wally

Discretion is the better part of valor.
    Be prudent and put the cameras away folks – I always carry a 2m 13mm Almax chain + D lock in the van. Lost count how many times it’s been very useful when out and about. I spend 0.5% of my income on locks every year – bargain, when I consider where some of the other 99.5% is forced to go. (excluding insurance!)

PS I have never known a lock to wear out or become off trend due to lock size…

backinireland
    Free Member

http://www.almax-security-chains.co.UK

Put a twenty tonne sling on one of their ground anchors and tried to tow it out with low range gear in a landrover. Wasn’t for budging!

http://www.henrykrank.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=2964

Just make sure you use a blank cartridge……….

honourablegeorge

backinireland – Member

http://www.almax-security-chains.co.UK

Put a twenty tonne sling on one of their ground anchors and tried to tow it out with low range gear in a landrover. Wasn’t for budging!

Heartily approve of that kind of messing about, good work.

backinireland
    Free Member

Just me being tight!
    Had sold a lock up and was wondering if could take ground anchor with me

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Shed Security – ground anchors, etc’ is closed to new replies.