Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • shed security – coach bolts needed but without the nut shape behind the endcap
  • sefton
    Free Member

I want to change all screws to coach bolts on my shed.

however all bolts I can see on e-bay have a nut shape on the back of the endcap…obviouslt this will not allow the bolt to be flush to the hinge.

other option is a hex bolt (countersunk)

what size m5 or m6?

also can anyone recommend an alarm that sounds in the house?

and a decent security light?

thanks
    Craig

allthepies
    Free Member

I have one of these, works well.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0045U0L96

wwaswas

I found with coach bolts the ‘square’ bit cut into the round hole in the hinge as it was done up tight. You had the dome of the bolt head standing proud but the rest was flush. It also means the bolt can’t be rotated at all as it’s locked by the hinge.

sefton
    Free Member

so one sensor in your shed and one sensor in your garden? hmmm

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Just use standard countersunk head machine screws, and a big washer and two nuts on the inside.

cakefacesmallblock

I’m with wwaswas on this. You could just drill out the hinge a fraction to allow the square section to pull tight a little easier too.

allthepies
    Free Member

I have the sensor in my garage and the alarm part in the house. Outdoor sensors tend to be too susceptible to false alarms IMO.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Aye, the local foxes here would have me out every night .

jamiea
    Free Member

Shear bolts came with my Shed Shackle, similar to these.

I have one of these, works well.

As it prevented scrotes nicking off with your bikes? There’s been some burglaries round here recently and I want something similar. I just imagine they’ll rip if off and pull the batteries out or some such!

Cheers,
    Jamie

belugabob
    Free Member

As it prevented scrotes nicking off with your bikes? There’s been some burglaries round here recently and I want something similar. I just imagine they’ll rip if off and pull the batteries out or some such!

The one that I linked to has a siren built in and a remote one that you can have in the house, meaning that destruction of the one in the shed doesn’t stop the other one from going off.

Also, you could look at something like this

tomaso
    Free Member
    collinstiffee
    Free Member

you are looking for roofing bolts.

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

As has been said, drill your hinges to accept the square protion of the coach bolt or change your hinges, cheap enough.

plus-one

If you have power in your shed/outhouse baby monitors are good ..

sefton
    Free Member

might just put hex counter screws in (they will be bolted inside)

dont fancy bodging/drilling to fit the square portion of the coach bolt.

whats a good bolt width?

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘shed security – coach bolts needed but without the nut shape behind the endcap’ is closed to new replies.