Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Shed Security
  • jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

I’ll have cleared the two knackered old sheds probably tomorrow morning. Going to buy the big 10×8 security shed that I want.
    What can I do other than an alarm and a big bar across the doors to secure my bikes? There will be my 2 bikes and the Mrs’ P7 in there.
    Also, and this may seem a daft question, how would I use ground anchors in a wooden shed? Use the floor or try and use the paving underneath?

al2000

The floor alone won’t be strong enough, and use the paving underneath and you’ll end up with loads of mice moving in through the hole in the floor.

I use one of these :

http://securityforbikes.com/shed-shackle.php

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

yes +1 for the shed shackle.

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

That looks brilliant, would it take all 3 bikes on one shackle? I’ve got a pretty decent budget so I want to invest in some really good security. What would you use to bolt the bikes to the shed shackle?

nickjb
    Free Member

Flexitub full of concrete for the ground anchor. Pop the tub in the corner of the shed, cement, ballast and water and push the anchor in.

al2000

Another thing, and speaking from bitter experience here.

Make sure that all / some of the hinge and hasp fixings are coach bolts, otherwise the shed will be really easy to break into.

Although my shed was advertised as having strong security features, the idiots who fitted it used 6mm coach bolts in 8mm holes which meant the nuts could be dragged straight through the holes – it *looked* secure, while being completely useless :o(

I replaced them all myself with 8mm bolts, and also fitted a hasp from securityforbikes.com

http://securityforbikes.com/HS1HeavyDutyHaspAndStaple.php

thegreatape
    Free Member

I have a shed shackle in my wooden garage, although it’s horizontal on a structural internal part so doesn’t go through to the outside at all, plus a five metre chain from the same folk (feels like a section of the QE2’s anchor chain) going through that and five bikes. Ok, it’s only one chain to cut to get all five bikes but it’s a doubly hard bastard of a chain.

al2000

Shackle will take three bikes – it’s down to the length of the chain you use really.

As for bolting the bikes to the shackle – securityforbikes (again) sell heavy duty chains and padlocks (and do package deals).

I’m sounding like a securityforbikes fanboy here, but the stuff is really good and they are really nice people to deal with as well and went above and beyond to help me out when the keys to one of my padlocks got lost during building work.

plus-one

Knowing your shed position cut a section out paving/slab and dig a deep hole(once shed in place) cut out bit of floor fill hole with concrete level with shed floor(pop in anchor) job done

Baby monitors(if your putting power in)

Reinforced door

Builders band securing roof to shed and round locks on door to prevent sawing round locks

Coach bolts in place of screws(obvious but some folks don’t bother) and hinges whipped off in seconds 🙁

I’ve got bolts to secure door if hinge was cut from outside you can’t open door from hinge side

As many big locks as you can(don’t do the low key small lock approach) if they want in they will but they’ll wake half my street to do so

Insure all your bikes too as a last line of defence 🙂

Oh yes and another vote for protector chains I use 13mm ones and boy they’re impressive !!

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

That’s brilliant help, thanks. Think I’ll get a shed shackle today and have a look at it before I get the shed, I wanted to stand all 3 bikes up using BBB parking lots, need to see if this is feasible with the shed shackle. Then need to decide whether to get 3 seperate chains or the ‘QE2’ chain.

plus-one

I’ve set up my anchor on left at rear .. Sure I have 2m chain which does 3 bikes and I got a 3 in a row bike stand off eBay £15 or so ..

al2000

3m chain with 3 bikes locked up and plenty of slack in the chain to wrap it round frame tubes, through stays etc.

philwarren11
    Free Member

Motorbike alarm fixed to the inside of the door is an ok deterrent. They knock the door to break in and it goes off. Like the oxford screamer. Warning beeps on first knock (allowing you to get in and disarm) then goes mental on second knock.

You could get a wireless alarm which runs off batteries too.

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

i had a cheapo alarm that went off every time i went in the shed and sometimes of its own accord at night. didnt go down well when trying to get the bikes out for a 7am sunday ride. ended up smashing it with a hammer.

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

The shed I’m getting comes with an alarm so that’s a bonus.

matt007
    Free Member

After my old prefab garage with up-and-over door was broken into a couple of years ago, and all my bikes were nicked, I went with the following –

New timber build shed (i built it myself, more like a chalet than shed…), two 5 lever deadlocks on door, triple security hinges, as hinge pins were exposed I also fitted hinge bolts which engage into frame when the door shuts, door edge trimmed in steel which overlaps frame and eliminates pry/crow bar access, windows are 6mm toughened and only 50cm square between uprights so no chance of getting a bike out, stand alone alarm in there with pin keypad, also wireless PIR linked to house alarm with twin bellboxes, when all those go off its bloody noisy!, all windows have blinds to stop snooping, I’ve set up one of our old babymonitors in there, other end lives on my bedside cabinet, bikes anchored to steel racking in shed (doesnt fit through door). Ive also go another custom security touch, but i’ll keep that one to myself!

Once bitten, twice shy they say

No repeated break in attempt yet, still wondering when they’ll come back…..

womp
    Free Member

– Piano hinge the full length of the door
    – 3 Gatemaster locks (top, middle, bottom)
    – Builders straps on the roof and around locks
    – brace your door and frame
    – if you install 240 dont protect it and run it around the internal at waist height (they will get a nice surprise if they try to cut through that)
    – A very very very LOUD alarm siren that will make there ears bleed (eg Klaxon master blaster)
    – Baby monitor or IP cam
    – And most importantly..tack a small strip of wood on the door that laps the shed frame when it closes fitted with a hidden alarm contact – they will need to peel the strip back to attack the lock or pry the door which will trigger your very LOUD alarm before they even get in or damage your shed

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

I’ve bookmarked this thread for when garage is built. I have got a nail gun too, think if I write, “I’ve got a nail gun under my bed and listening to what happens in my shed on a baby monitor” on the door it might be a deterrent?

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Motorbike security chain into your shed shackle, or looped through anything heavy and hard to cut through. I’ve used a Calor gas bottle in the past. Shed alarm. Coach bolts as has been said and reinforce your roof with cross members as this is an easy way in. Most times a thief will abandon if it looks like it’s a really mission to get them.

mjsmke

You could still make use of the paving slabs to fix the anchor to. Then fill in the gaps with concrete leaving the chain sticking out the top.

oliverd1981
    Free Member

I can hear you in my shed
    thenail gun is under my bed
    the bikes are locked to calor gas
    how lucky do you feel dumbass?

Just sing that over the baby monitor. Not if you have babies though.

irc

Stating the obvious but site the shed where it can be seen from the house with the door facing the house. I have a 5W LED buld below my shed gutter above the door so anyone at the shed door would be visible. A PIR spotlight on the house would be another option I suppose though I’m not sure if animals setting it off would be an issue. I just use 1 LED on the shed and 1 on the house on all night so the shed would still be visible if the light above the door was knocked out.

dannyh
    Free Member

On the subject of coach bolts, you could also just fill the screw heads in with JB weld or suchlike…….

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Shed Security’ is closed to new replies.