Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Shed ridge beam size help
  • jonno101
    Free Member

Hi
    Im about to start building Shed-1 (5m x 2m). Its gonna be built from 3×2 or 4×2 mostly. I want the pitched roof to be held up with one beefy ridge beam thats supported at both ends with the rafters off of that. The roof will consist of 11mm OSB and metal corrugated sheet on top of that.
    SO my question is what size ridge beam will I need for 5m span? Was thinking 8×2? What do you all think??

lyrikal
    Free Member

Minimal load on that beam really. 8×2 or 9×2 will be reet.

singlesman
    Free Member

Hi, as above, no load on the ridge beam, just something for the rafter ends to push against, very often sawn inch timber deep enough to cover the cut rafter ends. You will need ceiling joists to stop your walls pushing out though.

lyrikal
    Free Member

If the joists in that shed are well connected to a 9×2 acting as a ridge beam they’ll be no need for triangulation/ceiling joists. I have a much bigger shed with a tiled roof using this arrangement. I used joist hangers at the connection but that would be overkill on a shed this narrow.

linchpin
    Free Member

Yes as the others have said. 6×2 would be a sensible choice with a few horizontal timbers from rafter to rafter to hold them together to prevent spread. And stick a few noggins in to stiffen it all up.

singlesman
    Free Member

Sorry, yes it’s a shed with osb / tin roof so no real load or need for joists, still in house roofing mode!

jonno101
    Free Member

Brill thanks 8×2 it is.
    I’m hoping as ridge is well supported on wall at both ends, the rafters won’t need any trusses? I want to keep roof open like so:

pk13

nobody asking what pitch it is? I know it never snows anymore but keep in mind the downward force of extra weight. oh and c16 8×2 is fine. maybe use bigger sized rafters and stick 25mm kingspan in between to keep it cool in the summer.

jonno101
    Free Member

Thanks PK, standard shed pitch I guess 🙂

5thElefant
    Free Member

My victorian farmhouse must have had a new roof at some point since then as they used a few lengths of molded skirting board. That seems happy enough with several tonnes of slate. 🙂

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Shed ridge beam size help’ is closed to new replies.