Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Shed – Foundations
  • ricochet_rob
    Free Member

I have a nice new shed on its way for the bikes. Whats the most cost effective way of putting a base down for it ?
    Do you need to make a base for the whole floor area or will patio slabs set in the ground on each corner do ?

ianpinder
    Free Member

What type of shed is it? does it have a floor?

falkirk-mark

I used slabs down on a sand and cement base. You could probably get cheap/free secondhand ones off gumtree/ local paper/singletrackworld if you do not want to spend a lot on it

ricochet_rob
    Free Member

Do you need to have slabs over the whole area or would just the corners be OK ?

falkirk-mark

Whole area to make it sturdier. If you don't the the floor could sag.Reason I say secondhand is if they are under a shed they could be the fashionable red ones from 20 years ago and it wouldn't matter

carlos
    Free Member

As mark said,
    A few ideas below too:-

1)Lay either 2×2 or 3×2 paving flags on a grit sand and cement mix.
    2)Fit chicken wire inside around the perimiter and either ply over or use the 18mm chipborad flooring sheets B&Q etc.. do
    3)Strenghten door up using 18mm Ply and fit a decent size but not attention attracting hasp and staple and Padlock
    4)Cut out a section of floor, say 300mmx300mm, break through paving slab, dig out earth and fill with concrete level with shed floor ready to fit a ground anchor
    5)Swap a couple of door screws for coach bolts
    6)Use more screws and slighty lager sized than they reccommend throughout the construction.
    7)Get a lock with built in alarm or fit shed alarm.

A little OTT maybe but from the outside it just looks like a standard shed, internally it is not.

Carl

ricochet_rob
    Free Member

All good advice… Thanks.

Any idea how much sand/hardcore/cement I would need to make a 8×6 patio then ? Is there a way to work it out.
    I have just enough spare slabs i think.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I've got a shed to put up shortly, and partly due to some other sork that needs doing in the garden I am putting hardcore down, and then just a inch layer of decorative pebbles. Mind you I might look at how much cheap slabs are and sand

thegreatape
    Free Member

My shed was broken into by unscrewing the hinges. Might be worth a padlock on the wrong side as well, or rounding off the screw heads.

carlos
    Free Member

Using 2×2 flags you'll need 12
    Using 3×2 flags you'll need 8
    For either flags I'd say 6 bags grit sand and 2 bags cement would be plenty if you use the spot method of laying them. For the 300x300x300 anchor bit I used concrete at a 1 part cement, 2 parts sand, and 3 parts concreting stone ratio, I got bags as per ratio and had loads but it was used up elsewhere antway so not bothered about the waste element.

The gravel base is a very cheap but excellent idea

falkirk-mark

Do not think anyone has mentioned it but you put the sand/cement mix down dry as it is easier to work with and will soak in moisture and set anyway.

http://www.shedsdirect.net/shedsbases.pdf

ozzo
    Free Member

second falkirk mark. I layed down a DRY base of sand/cement powder mix with a depth of about 10 cm – this will allow you to get a good level base with a long piece of wood. Then firm down and then place flag stones on top – well sorted.

carlos
    Free Member

The OP asked for most cost effective way surley a 100mm thick base made like that isn't going to be cheap?

myheadsashed

I used some old concrete garage panels…..

lovewookie

I've the same sized shed, dug out a bit of ground, lay about 2" gravel as a capillary break, stuck 4 bits of 3×5 ish bits of wood lengthways, bunged the base down, job done.

The bits of wood should last a while, if and when they go it's a small enough shed to lift and replace.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Shed – Foundations’ is closed to new replies.