• This topic has 8 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by stox.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Shed burgled -new road bike recommendations? (RTD-90)
  • scunny
    Free Member

Woke up this morning to find that my shed door had had its hinges removed and the bike related contents taken. They’d taken a 90% built 29er, which I’ve since found in parts up and down the street (they made off with a set of fox 34’s, some Thomson bars and some XT brakes. Unfortunately for them the axle for the forks is still in the shed).

Also took my racer, no signs of that. It was a FM066sl with Sram Force group, I loved it. The insurance have agreed to pay out so i’ve already started looking round for something new and i’ve stumbled across this:

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBRTD90CMP/planet-x-rtd-90-comp-sram-force-11-disc-road-bike

After a bit of googling it seems that the frame is actually the new fm066 disc version. I was really happy riding my previous bike so i’m happy to venture to rebranded chinese again, and I can’t find any comparable bikes for that price. Has anyone ridden one, or would like to recommend an alternative?

danno1975
    Free Member

I can’t tell you how it rides mate, but after having a weight dropped on my Boardman smashing the frame I feel your loss. And I’ve just ordered one after weeks of looking at options. I have a Planet X XLS which is awesome so I’m a bit excited.

I’ve just been informed by some facebookers that the cable run on the fork is a bit lo rent. But I’m not really bothered. Full SRAM force for £1550. Got some nice new pro lite wheels to go on too so it should be nice and fast.

Go for it 🙂

danno1975
    Free Member

Unless you want a 56 as I just ordered the last one

rickon
    Free Member

Good thing I can’t easily find out where you live, so I know exactly what bike you’re buying now that I stole your old one. (I didn’t steal your bike really, just making a pertinent point).

Beware of posting anything on the internet that’s easy for thieves to find out what kit you’ve got, and then trace it back to you.

I got done over after they saw my for sale ad on gumtree, which (completely unknown to me) posted my location on the ad as a sodding Google map pin.

chakaping
    Free Member

That’s rough Rickon.

Not only is it full of hooky gear, but Gumtree actually helps thieves steal the legit stuff being advertised on it too?

Sympathetic with you OP – been there myself and it’s natural to want to get another bike going ASAP.

Will you get the chance to improve security?

njee20
    Free Member

Friend of mine got totally cleared out of about £25k of Cannondales and Enves after posting something for sale on Gumtree which helpfully identified his house, unbeknownst to him. Definitely worth turning off geotagging on photos in future.

stox
    Free Member

If you are not massively fussed about 11sp and discs I’m Thinking of putting my Dolan Ares SL (SRAM Force) for sale 😀

njee20
    Free Member

So if he’s not sold on that type of bike, frame or group set then that’s a great choice! Equally I’m thinking of selling a £50 pub bike. Save a fortune.

Insurance purchase unlikely to work that well on second hand.

stox
    Free Member

So if he’s not sold on that type of bike, frame or group set then that’s a great choice

He isn’t – He asked for alternatives ..

But I take your point so let’s not dwell on it

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Shed burgled -new road bike recommendations? (RTD-90)’ is closed to new replies.