Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Shed as man cave/workshop
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

Been thinking about a shed for bike fixing and maybe other stuff. Wouldn’t leave bikes or anything in it. Seen 10’*6′ online half price (£340)

Is this an ok idea? I’m in Jockland so cold/damp an issue, is heating/lighting only do able with an extension lead. Easy way to insulate? (Spray foam?)

Oh and if I move house, are they a mare to transport?

epicyclo

Ah, combine this with your other thread and it becomes obvious.

You need a lwb Transit. 🙂

nickjb
    Free Member

I had a 10×6 for a while. Was a nice space to work in. No real issues with damp if its leakproof and well ventilated. Will be cold in winter but you could heat it as its a small space. A coat and some nitrile gloves do a similar job. For power solar lighting is an option but if its close to the house an extension lead is adequate. They are fairly easy to move but I’d look to leave it and upgrade if you move house

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    teanosugar
    Free Member

If you’re going to put up a shed ideally you’ll need to put it on a solid concrete base. Where will it be going? If it’s on paving slabs it will be ok but on grass it’ll rot from the bottom up. Especially if you’re in one of the wetter parts of the country! Normally the wood in pre made sheds is pretty crap, if you’re planning on not moving for a bit you’d be better off building one. Make it out of old pallets and Insulate it with polystyrene, it won’t look as nice but it’ll last much longer.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Cheers, it’s to go on a patio.

I might move soon do not want to invest.

Will look at solar lights. Any tips on heating?

jam-bo

Wood burner. Obvs.

jonostevens
    Free Member

I bought a metal one rather than wood. Wasn’t as attractive but will last longer. Insulated it with sheets of polystyrene and never found damp a problem.

I built it on a base of breezeblocks with wooden struts and then scaff boards across those to lift things off the ground and stop cold from the concrete a bit.

Bought some Big Dug racking and bench.

Absolutely loved it. Had a great time for a year or so and then up sticks and moved. Doh.

homebrewjunkie
    Free Member

I run my lights and a fan (fans for the rollers)off a car battery. When it flats, swap it with a spare and charge it. Lasts for ages mind you.

I wouldn’t bother with insulation, much cheaper and easier to fire on a tammy and a jacket.

misteralz
    Free Member

What you really want is the back off an old BT Transit. Effectively a fibreglass workshop, easily transportable, secure and leakproof and usually sold with a workbench and some racking still in place. Paint it NATO green if you don’t want the neighbours to complain.

ahsat

Know a guy who moved a pre-fab shed – it exploded into a million pieces driving down a dual carriageway!

cynic-al
    Free Member

Tiger recommended on a recent thread here (what more does one need)

I like this

http://m.tigersheds.com/product/tiger-penthouse/

But is seems like this with a few windows added.

http://m.tigersheds.com/product/tiger-shiplap-pent-shed/

…which is £200 cheaper for 8′ X 6′ (10′ might be a bit big). I have a sheet of perspex and woodworking skills. Also there might be a chance to build a false wall/curtain to hide tools etc so the neds don’t break in (I hope).

Am I crazy?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Shed as man cave/workshop’ is closed to new replies.

New deal added to Members Discounts