Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • shed alarms?
  • headfirst
    Free Member

So, after some thieving twunts broke into my garage at the weekend (they unscrewed the side door from it’s hinges) and stole my chainsaw and hedgetrimmers, but left all the bikes (chained together a couple of times over) and other expensive sporting gear, I am now looking at how to beef up my anti-theft measures.

I’ve put the door back on its frame with longer screws and drilled/rounded off the heads (why hadn’t I done this before??), and already have two good locks on it. I’ve no electricity to the shed, although this is a long-term upgrade I’ve been considering, so I’m thinking about a wireless PIR intruder alarm as a termporary-ish measure, like this one, but I’m concerned about how long batteries might last, I’ve no idea if it would be weeks, months or years? Anyone got one and can give me some advice?

I’ll also be buying a substantial chain and lock when I replace the chainsaw, I’m even tempted to keep it in the house from now on. Look out for a ‘what chainsaw thread’ opening shortly.

GrahamS

Someone on here recommended getting a high-decibel rape/attack alarm from eBay. The type where the alarm sounds when you pull a pin out (and doesn’t stop till it is put back in)

Then you can set up a nice little “sonic claymore” by tying the pin to the back of the door.

Seems like a pretty good plan.

fin25
    Free Member

I’ve got this one. It’s been in my bike shed since November, still got the original batteries in.
    Loud as war.

headfirst
    Free Member

Cheers guys, I’ve ordered your one fin25. Graham, the rape alarm idea would be a recipe for disaster as I’d undoubtedly forget about it one time 😀

GrahamS

That’s the main reason I haven’t gone for it yet 😀

mark90
    Free Member

I have one of these…

http://www.amazon.co.uk/CostMad-Wireless-Driveway-Weatherproof-Security/dp/B00U7QKAWA

recommedned on here where they were on offer in Aldi (look identical).

headfirst
    Free Member

mark, do you have that inside your garage or outside in the garden or driveway?

This might be quite useful to set up for the side garden where the garage is, but I think the foxes might set it off, and it would be useful to have a mute function for during the day when we and the dogs (who slept through the garage break-in but will have a good old bark as soon as the postman puts one foot on our drive 😡 ) are out in the garden through the daytime.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I have one of these. I prefer it to the smaller shed alarms since I can activate/de-activate it using a remote key fob rather than panic trying to de-activate it with the clock ticking before it goes off 🙂

Batteries last years not months.

mark90
    Free Member

The sensor is inside the garage, covering both doors, the receiver is in the house. I just switch the receiver on or off as required. About 70-80ft and seperates them.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I’ve got this one

http://personalalarms.com/acatalog/Multi_Buy_MA30_Mini_PIR_Alarm_and_External_Siren.html

Has actually stopped scum getting my bikes 🙂

Advantage of this is that even if they spot the main PIR and smash it up, the secondary alarm which is hidden outside will still go off.

Batteries last about 1 year.

Ive had it about 3 years now.

scandal42
    Free Member

I’m using one of these

1byone

It’s on the inside of my outhouse door so when the scum opens the door it notices the change in background temperature straight away and sets off the receiver in the house (loud enough for them to hear also I would think)

retro83
    Free Member

GrahamS – Member

Someone on here recommended getting a high-decibel rape/attack alarm from eBay. The type where the alarm sounds when you pull a pin out (and doesn’t stop till it is put back in)

Then you can set up a nice little “sonic claymore” by tying the pin to the back of the door.

Seems like a pretty good plan.

That’s a good call actually. Rape alarms are way way louder than most PIR alarms.

Edit: Just to confirm I am not a rapist, however I have fallen victim of the student prank whereby somebody posts one through your letterbox in the early hours of the night then legs it with the pin you need to deactivate it.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘shed alarms?’ is closed to new replies.