Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Shed Alarms
  • beano68
    Free Member

Afternoon All

As above — Shed Alarms, collecting my new bike later and its quite expensive so now getting getting nervous bout leaving it in the shed so what do you recommend for an alarm ..

I have 2 good locks already fitted on there but Ideally I’d rather fit claymore mines but health and safety and all that !!

Recommendations please

Thanks

cruzcampo
    Free Member

Get a wireless link to main house alarm, quite cheap and better than something which can be smashed up in shed. Once activated house going off.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Ive got this one. 1 unit in the shed, the other siren hidden in the garden. If any cables cut or damaged the other siren still goes off. Has already stopped stuff going from my shed.

http://personalalarms.com/acatalog/Multi_Buy_MA30_Mini_PIR_Alarm_and_External_Siren.html

Its loud! I heard the alarm going off when asleep in bed through double glazed window. By the time I had woken up properly and out of bed the would be thieves had scarpered

Someone on here showed one where there was a PIR linked wirelessly to an alarm in their bedroom. Pros – good if you are in as could potentially catch them. Con – what happens if you are not at home?

allthepies
    Free Member

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0045U0L96/ref=pe_274681_40197251_email_1p_0_ti

Got one of these in my garage, as above it only sounds in the house (with the sensor placed in the shed/garage). So the perp won’t know they’ve triggered an alarm. Some people might prefer this over an alarm which is close to the intruder, some might not 🙂

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Allthepies what’s happens though when you are not home?

bellys
    Free Member

Have you got power to the shed. If so just get an house alarm easy to fit if you have power..if not wireless alarm and a baby monitor one in side shed one next to your bed at night.

allthepies
    Free Member

I’ve got a house alarm now and detectors in the outbuildings wired to that so that other alarm is obsolete.

What happens when you’re not at home ? 🙂

gamerriley
    Free Member

What happens when you’re not at home though? Any amount of bells and whistles doesn’t stop theives taking your pride and joy. Get yourself a ground anchor installed and then chain your bike to it with one of THESE
    Bolt croppers don’t even mark it. I have both my bikes anchored to the garage wall with these chains and locks on both.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Allthepies – my alarm still goes off when not there 🙂 and the little chums still scarper off empty handed.

Coppers said to us the things our friends dislike most are noise followed by light. Locks don’t really bother them as they can sit all night in your shed cutting a lock and no one would know.

Gamer – is your bike made out of soft plastic or metal? They could just saw through it. If an alarm goes off when they get in they will not hang around.. Unless of course a bike is not secured at all.

Probably the best solution is to leave some Class A drugs on a plate with a note saying help yourself…

beano68
    Free Member

Thanks Everyone for your response,

I suppose this subject is quite close to folk where scumbags have taken stuff already, I’d prefer an alarm to be triggered from the shed if they tried to gain entry as that way It’ll scare the mongs and hopefully they will do one.

I’ve just seen one on that link FunkyDunc just sent me for personal alarms for £40 which is a sensor alarm which I suppose It can be fitted inside the shed or fitted outside facing the shed either way it’ll be triggered and can be used with a fob but the wife has a habit of forgetting to remember things when she’s going out !!

Thanks again for your reply’s

Yes bellys I’ve got power in the shed so I’ll look into a power source alarms as well as battery alarms can be expensive to run.

gamerriley
    Free Member

@FunkyDunc – If I broke into your shed and the alarm went off I wouldn’t hang around. I’d take your unchained bike and ride as fast as I could 😉

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Gamer – ah but I haven’t said what other security measures I have 😆

As I said nothing was stolen from my shed when the thieves broke in!

Beano – I change the batteries once a year, so not expensive at all.

beano68
    Free Member

Gamerrily – I’ve used ground anchors many times before when I had my motorbike but that then was in a garage with concrete and brick walls and now I have a shed with ply walls so now good.

I work away a lot so that doesn’t help but the wife is always at home at night so that will help if an alarm goes off as an extra deterrent but I’d rather they took what the want rather than any harm done to my family if I’m not here …. items can be replaced but still I’d rather save what I’ve got tho.

gamerriley
    Free Member

Fair play FunkyDunc, I think the more measures of security you have the better. I also have one of those alarmed padlocks on my bike. Just attach it to the side of the bike against the wall and if anybody tries to move the bike they get 120db of siren in their ears. 😀

DaRC_L

Have you thought about this Raspberry Pi Security Cam which can then take snapshot images and send directly to t’web in addition to locks?

As a (computer) security guy said – it’s about layers of security which deters the thieves.

woody74

Get a simple CCTV camera. At the end of the day it seems if they want your bike then they will get it. Loads of stories of shed roofs being taken off or the sides being smashed into. At least with CCTV there is far more chance that the buggers will be caught. Most police know who does all the crime in an area, they just need proof.

I have one of thesehttp://www.ultrasecuredirect.com/acatalog/Flood_Light_CCTV_Speech.html

There are also loads of simple SD card cameras that will work as well.

Wireless alarms work quite well as they are cheap and simple and as a shed is a confined space the alarm really does hurt the ears very quickly.

cruzcampo
    Free Member

beano68 – Member
    Thanks Everyone for your response,

I suppose this subject is quite close to folk where scumbags have taken stuff already, I’d prefer an alarm to be triggered from the shed if they tried to gain entry as that way It’ll scare the mongs and hopefully they will do one.

I’ve just seen one on that link FunkyDunc just sent me for personal alarms for £40 which is a sensor alarm which I suppose It can be fitted inside the shed or fitted outside facing the shed either way it’ll be triggered and can be used with a fob but the wife has a habit of forgetting to remember things when she’s going out !!

Thanks again for your reply’s

Yes bellys I’ve got power in the shed so I’ll look into a power source alarms as well as battery alarms can be expensive to run.

POSTED 17 HOURS AGO # REPO

I think many prefer an alarm to be going off in the shed to stop them hanging around and trying to get bikes, along with causing damage to them in the process.

At my previous place I had an alarm in the shed which was disabled with a keypad, batteries lasted 3 years.

Also a seperate wireless sensor which linked to the house. It was set at night so the external sounder wouldn’t go off to the house, with the hope i’d catch scum in the act, and in the day the external sounder to the house would go off. Nowadays i’m thinking its better to alert them straight away with external sounder going day and night?

Wireless text diallers arn’t expensive to add to a house alarm either so you get a call/text alerting you to which zone it going off.

cruzcampo
    Free Member

beano68 – Member
    Afternoon All

As above — Shed Alarms, collecting my new bike later and its quite expensive so now getting getting nervous bout leaving it in the shed so what do you recommend for an alarm ..

I have 2 good locks already fitted on there but Ideally I’d rather fit claymore mines but health and safety and all that !!

Recommendations please

Thanks

POSTED 18 HOURS AGO #

Also what kind of chains do you have?

I’d recommend no less than a 16mm protector to anchor the bike

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/accessories/locks/product/review-pragmasis-protector-chains-31679/

dpfr

I’m looking at Asgard bike stores to protect a potential shiny new toy. Anyone have any experience with these please?

Sorry for slight diversion

jools182
    Free Member

I’m looking at shed security at the moment too as I can’t fit 3 bikes in the house

Still makes me nervous though

Do any insurance policies cover bikes if they are secured by a ground anchor?

cruzcampo
    Free Member

Sainsburys policy only adds around £4 a month for outbuilding/shed stored bikes

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Shed Alarms’ is closed to new replies.