Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Shed aerodynamicists to the forum!
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

My new shed will be in a corner of my patio, ~1′ away from the corner walls which are ~2′ lower than its roof. One wall faces the prevailing wind (ie the wall shelters the shed from that wind)

I may put up profile roofing instead of felt. I’d thought of extending this beyond the edge of the shed, towards the wall, to catch wind and guide it downwards so there is airflow to the shed wall and underside. Is this likely to work and are there optimum dimensions of overhang/gap to wall?

wwaswas

Gurney Flap (no sniggering at the back) is what you need.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I am talking about the leading edge.of the roof as the wind approaches it, so I think not?

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

When I built my shed, I put ‘felt shingles’ up because I thought they looked nice.
    A year later a neighbour cut all the laylandie?, lailandy?, fir trees down and exposed it to the full force of the prevailing.

The roof soon disappeared.

Now have basic felt on the roof and it hasn’t budged. Best to keep it as low profile as possible I would have thought. If there is a chance the wind can get hold, it will.

LadyGresley
    Free Member

laylandie?, lailandy?,

Leylandii 😀

trail_rat
    Free Member

i opened this thread in hope that it was going to be about creating a spoiler from spoons for your latest car 😀

philjunior
    Free Member

I suspect you won’t have problems with ventilation when the wind’s blowing – and half the time it’ll be raining too and you’ll just be funneling the rainwater onto the side of your shed. If anything, some sort of fairing to direct the wind up and over the shed which might draw dry air around it (but really don’t bother).

nickhit3
    Free Member

laylandie?, lailandy?,

Leylandii

one of Clapton’s best imo.

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

Fir tree’s is fine. That’ll learn me for trying to spell latin.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Ta Phil, I did wonder about guttering too. It’s vulnerable to neds climbing on it (public path in other side of wall) so anything like that might get burst.

Lol at Terry.

maccruiskeen

The key thing is to write your name and address on the shed roof in sharpie, so when on of you neighbours finds it in their conservatory they’ll know who to return it to. 🙂

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Shed aerodynamicists to the forum!’ is closed to new replies.