Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Shed advice
  • brack
    Free Member

Ok secured a great deal on a second hand 12 ft x 8ft shed that is waiting to be put up in my back garden.

The shed will double up as a workshop for my old classic motorbike and also a compact art studio.

Did the base today- 3′ concrete

The shed does not have an internal floor and my question is this..

Should I put a wooden floor down first or will the concrete be fine ( it’s smooth as a babys bum).

Ideas/ tips/ suggestions

Stoner
    Free Member

concrete can suck the heat out of your feet. AN off cut of carpet with some underlay would be a good idea for where you stand and “art” or in front of the workbench etc.

cynic-al
    Free Member

3 feet of concrete?

brack
    Free Member

Yeah hadn’t thought of carpet tbh. I think putting a wooden floor would be overkill wouldn’t it?

Oh and I’m presuming there are screws on the Market that will allow me to screw in to concrete?

Stoner
    Free Member

what are you screwing down?

brack
    Free Member

Yeah 3ft…;@)

brack
    Free Member

Just the side panels to the floor..prob not necessary but will do.

bellys
    Free Member

Make a frame and Get some loft boards on top….I lined my inner walls in loft boards.
    Made it a lot warmer and feels more secure….

brack
    Free Member

A frame on top of the concrete base?

br
    Free Member

Put a wood floor in, either attached or floating.

BrickMan

Ok if you’ve gone to the effort and cost of a 3′ pad of concrete (did an 18″ slab for our summer house last year, although the thing did weigh around 600kg lol!) then I would get hold of some 4″x2″ (or wider) giving at least 2″ air gap, and lay them on the center’s of your floor panel or about 18″ so you end with an effective criss cross pattern. This will take out all the imperfections in the surface (there will be some) and make a solid as funk base.
    Then floor down on that (screw em through if you really want/ exposed location) and rawl plug/hilti bolt into the slab if its really windy in that location), then sides up.

I always find with flat pack shed things if you just build them as they come, they are rarely square, rarely strong enough to last more than one winter (if any) and a nightmare to assemble. I pretty much always have to beef them up, even if its just some 1″ batton around each join screwed into both panels (wall to wall, and wall to floor, and wall to roof), it costs pennies and will really improve the thing.

As for security, if its having bikes in it, go crazy, really crazy. Make use of that massive concrete base and put a ground anchor into it, then floor on top of that so you can chain bikes to the thing. they could literally burn the shed down/knock it over, and bikes would still be chained to the slab. Ace.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Don’t screw the panels directly to the slab, they’ll rot within a year!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Shed advice’ is closed to new replies.