Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Sheared rotor bolt – options?
  • GrahamS

So I was dusting my bike off from the shed where it has been dormant for far too long 😳 and I remembered I have an outstanding issue with it.

I'd somehow managed to shear the head off one of the rotor bolts and I've never got round to sorting it.

What are my options? There is nothing left protruding to grip onto. Do you get EasyOuts that small? Drill it and helicoil? Or just leave it and ride with one bolt missing?

cb

Interested here too – I managed to round a bolt off last night! Still have the head of the bolt to try a pliers attack!

MrCrushrider
    Free Member

if its a six bolt hub – you should be ok with 5 bolts (i think?)

njee20
    Free Member

Be fine with 5 bolts, check them every now and again.

simon1975

I only use 3 bolts. And they're Ti. 😳

wwaswas

options,

1) drill out with a drill 'just' smaller than the thread – try it down another hole to check – you can force out the remains of the bolt relatively easily.

2) drill out and try and use a longer bolt with a nyloc nut behind (not sure on clearance behin there though).

3) Run 5 well threadlocked bolts.

I'd probably go with 1 then 3, personally.

MrCrushrider
    Free Member

only do option 1 above if you have a VERY steady hand! 😛

cynic-al
    Free Member

5 bolts prob fine.

wwaswas – Member
    options,

1) drill out with a drill 'just' smaller than the thread – try it down another hole to check – you can force out the remains of the bolt relatively easily.

Is it possible to do this without the drill slipping into the softer alloy?

tron
    Free Member

Is it possible to do this without the drill slipping into the softer alloy?

It is if you centrepunch the sheared bolt and have the hub clamped steady…

I'd personally try freezing it, then a kettle full of water to try and free it off.

You could always try a left hand drill bit, or drilling a small hole in the centre of the bolt, tapping the hole and winding in a smaller bolt, carry on winding to the bottom of the thread and wind it straight through (disc bolt holes normally being open at the back)? Or get some red loctite, loctite a bolt in and try winding it out as per?

wwaswas

I've got a pillar drill and vice for drilling holes only where I want them – you may have a mate with one?

If you're near Hove you can use mine if you want…

TreeWhatTree….
    Free Member

THISI have been running with 5 bolts since I posted this.

GrahamS

Hmm think I'll give it a crack with a left hand bit and if that **** up i'll just run with 5 bolts. Cheers all.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Sheared rotor bolt – options?’ is closed to new replies.